Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

Maybe we’re finally over the hill from the days where every game had to be black/brown/grey for it to be super successful?

How you are going to separate background from foreground elements? you want foreground elements to “popup” otherwise playing your game will feel like playing a hidden objects game, and will not be very fun.

So you either make the characters bright colors and the backgrounds tone deaf. Or you make the characters tone deaf and the background garish.

This is my theory, and I admit that many games seems to ignore it and be good.

Lots of trolls prowling this thread. Have your pan at the ready.

Let me know when Fortnite gets “over the hill” of having good gunplay.

If they are crapping their pants then pretty much every developer with a game on Steam should be crapping their pants.

pubg is not going to die to fortnite. It may be losing playings from 1.5m, but people who like pubg are just not going to switch to cartoon building wacky land. Also, third person. Anyone playing pubg because it is a fps are not going to switch to fortnite. It may siphon some players off, but it’s not going to die. That’s ridiculous.

the real reason there has been a dip in the playerbase is because of lag and stuttering introduced by some recent patches. It has caused a lot of in game headaches. the new map isn’t released at all, it’s still in the closed experimental server.

the game really is not dying at all. over a million average players is not dying in any sense of the word, come on! the numbers were inflated to begin with, as it was the only BR game at first.

I get the impression that PUBG purged alot of cheaters recently? As in the many thousands…might that be having an impact on the numbers?

Plus, I also get the impression people get into it and then get scared away by the many Chinese players online who have no compunction about cheating.

True?

China is a big reason. Notice how the decline started after the growth in China stopped:

But as anyone following Steam sales have noticed, it has still been #1 or #2 on the global top seller list since it launched in March last year. So, no, it’s not going to die anytime soon. Unless you think every game on Steam is dead of course. Case in point: Rainbow Six: Siege has ~60k average players, or around ~7% of PUBG’s number of average players. And that game is considered an incredible success. And PUBG will not drop that low unless they stop all the servers.

Also

I just restarted PUBG on Xbox after the PUBG Help twitter said the servers were up again and it worked fine. So I honestly think Jason Scott is either a moron or just lying for whatever reason (he was really mad the servers were down for a couple of hours?).

We all been there. When we really want to play a game and sometimes stop us, and is beyond our control. Anyway reinstalling a game seems a extreme effort. Misguided if you are not he only affected.

The effect of Chinese cyber cafes on the PUBG player base cannot be understated. I was at GDC a couple months ago and attended Sergey’s presentation on SteamSpy, and he talked pretty extensively about how cyber cafes in China work with PUBG.

Basically, it’s cheap enough to buy a copy of PUBG in China that only a few paid Cyber Cafe sessions pay for a license to the game. So these cafes don’t care if their customers cheat, since it’s cheap enough to just buy a new license for the game on a new account. The cafes end up making more than enough money back through cafe charges.

These practice also means that the number of distinct devices is vastly over-estimated, so Chinese players are substantially over-sampled. This caused Steam’s own statistics to get out of whack until they fixed it recently:

So it’s unsurprising to me if the same circumstances causing vast over-sampling of the Chinese player base is also stirring inaccurate rumors of the game’s popularity decline.

I heard on the internet that this game is full of cheaters and I should not play it.

Im hardly seeing cheaters any more, i used to die to one in every match a few months ago but I dont remember seeing anything suspicious lately.

I’ve seen one cheater, on the test server, in 100 hours. maybe it happens, but, i’ve never seen it

Completely plausible, based on the frequency of “CHINA NUMBA WON!” that I got to hear months ago.

If they’ve actually started blocking VPNs so only north americans play on north american servers, that would go a long way towards addressing cheating.

But then…

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/8o87mg/what_the_hell_is_actually_going_on_with_pubg/

As much as I respect what they tried to do with PUBG, these guys are a clown car game development shop. It’s comically bad.

This is getting review bombed to Hell right now. By 100+ hour players.

Yeah I see that, lots of requests for China region locks.