Battlestar Galactica Deadlock - A Frakking Good Time

Took you long enough. :)

I’ve played this on and off and generally enjoyed it, but my last campaign got hopelessly stuck because I simply could not find a way to deal with Cylon Cerastes gunships. Anyone have any advice, there? Anything I try to use against them just gets shredded.

That was very nerdy and I loved it! :)

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

That’s good. I have it from a recent bundle and was happy to get it but it still sits unplayed.

So I finally got past the tutorial missions in the campaign. Now into the real game.

Turns out 3 Adamants can tear a nasty hole through ships. And between their broadsides and a 6 ship missile barrage that is capable of erasing a Revenant in one turn.

Normally I wouldn’t watch replays, but I have to admit the way they frame and edit the cameras? They really did capture the feel of the show. Obviously a scripted scene will have higher quality, but I am really impressed with how they were able to design the replay to carry that feel.

The tactics are good, the strategy layer is unknown to me yet (just finished mission 5), and the design is absolutely spot on for visuals and audio. If the strategic layer is anything above ‘decent’ this is going to be a 4 star or better game for me.

Got a email notification from slitherine about what I assume is the last dlc for this one, thought it a good time to pop in and see what the hive mind consensus on it since it’s apparently TBS I might give it a go on sale at some point (assuming there isn’t a subsequent parade of folks say no go).

I loved it. I beat the campaign about a week ago. This is absolutely a 10/10 game for me. Good tactics, the design of sound and replays is spot on at capturing the feel of the show.

The turn based strategy and Wego battles are fantastic. It does enough to force you to alternate tactics. There are some strong deployment options and tactics that work well all game, but specific fleet composition, enemies, and presence of nebula or mines do enough to keep things from being rote.

And my god, a fleet with 2-3 Battlestars diving in for a broadside, while Vipers swarm into Raiders, and your missile boat plugs away at the Basestar in back your Raptor scouted? it is a beautiful thing.

Beware missiles. Close in enough and you can have any ship short of a Battlestar go from full armor to dead in a single turn if they get focused on. Cylons love their missiles (and they have longer Draedis range, so will get them off easier than you). And the Revenant is first kill priority, always. They will absolutely lay waste to anything if left alone. 2-3 Revenants will kill a Battlestar dead in 2 turns.

It was the only game I played for over a month. I absolutely will return for some of the DLC campaigns soon.

It has a similar split to Xcom or Total War with a strategic map and tactical battles. If you like that, and like BSG at all, this is the easiest recommendation I can ever make.

Ok, well then that settles that, next sale I’m diving in! Man did I love the show, so a game based on it really is a no brainer, and TBS to boot.

Edit: yeah I know it’s on sale now, but was thinking sale for entire package which we know will come along in the not too distant future.

Dang, Craig, you really know how to rev a fella’s engine.

If I can just get myself to put Pathfinder and Grim Dawn down, now.

I wish he’d draw some schematics of what he thinks is a better design.

Presumably it would look like:

. . . . . . . \\
. . . . . . . . \\ ==O pew pew pew>>>>>
. . . . . . . . . \\
. . . . . . . . . . \\ ==O pew pew pew>>>>>
. . . . . . . . . . . \\
. . . . . . . . . . . . \\==O pew pew pew>>>>>
. . . . . . . . . . . . //==O pew pew pew>>>>>
. . . . . . . . . . . //
. . . . . . . . . . //==O pew pew pew>>>>>
. . . . . . . . . //
. . . . . . . . //==O pew pew pew>>>>>

e.g. a wedge shaped ship, with gun mounts arranged along the front of the wedge so that that they could either be fired forward or rotated to fire as a broadside.

Watched Dastatic playing a turn from last week, looks cool, reminded me of WEGO from Combat Mission.

Well, @CraigM kinda skipped over the main issue with the game. It’s awesome use of music, AI camera work, and the end of mission reply of all the real-time bits stitched together absolutely will have you trying to re-watch Battlestar Gallactica for the 13th time or so. And last I checked, it was gone from streaming options currently. So that is a kick in the pants. Other than that, I am with Craig’s assessment. So say we two.

I was surprised to find the show on over-the-air TV around dinner time recently. Yay!

Comet also plays a lot of SG-1.

If I watched TV at all, I would absolutely watch Comet. It’s what Sci-Fi used to be.

Luckily for me, I have the whole series in DVD.

Yes, even season 4. Don’t judge me.

They made seasons after 2?

No, no they did not.

Oh good. They were getting a little weird about Starbuck, be a shame to see them flush that character down the tubes.