Battlestar Galactica

Neither a step above Patrick Macnee.

Ahahaha.

It seems people young enough not to remember the great old sci-fi we had around the 70s’ will take anything these days sigh.

Yeah… all of that great… err… whatever.

Maybe, I’m just nostalgic for the motion-control effects of the original!

I’ve found the person that liked seeing the same shot over and over and over and over and over and over and over and OHMIGOD THEY FLIPPED THE IMAGE and over and over and over and…

I’ve read other boards saying the same thing. Some people can’t get over that Starbuck is a chick, some people can’t get over the fact that the characters aren’t a bunch of 2 dimensional people seperated by their character traits.

The Old Leader! The Young Leader! The Womanizer! The Old Black Guy! The Cool Black Guy! The Fat Guy! The Hot Chick! The Smart Chick! The Kid!
vs
The Evil Guy! and his legion of Interchangable Robots!

The new series already has more hours of good entertainment than the old one does and no goddamn robot dog.

Ugh. I remember having one of those when I was a kid. Had an Imperious Leader, a silver Cylon, and the Cylon raider with the bullets that didn’t leave the ship (as opposed to the one with the bullets that actually fired, and was – urban legend alert! – apparently recalled because some kid choked to death on one of them). BG had crappy, crappy toys in comparison with Star Wars. I always thought that if Glen Larson had done a Lucas with toy marketing, BG would have been huge.

That Imperious Leader from the BG console game looks pretty neat. Have to look for a used copy of it sometime.

Back when BG was first running, I used to think Lucifer looked a lot like a cybernetic version of Maude.

Who was a better girlfriend, Sirena or Sheba?
Sheba, hands down.

1. Sheba didn’t burden Apollo with another man’s child.

2. Sheba wasn’t prim and fancy-fancy like Sirena.

3. Sheba tried to be tough but had long hair and cried like a girl when necessary.

4. I’m certain if the show had lasted another season she and Apollo would have been intimate in a launch tube.

What do you think?

I have to admit, I was completely turned off by the news that they were switching genders on some of the roles. I totally thought that Starbuck and Boomer being women was merely a ploy to bring in ratings.

Mind you, they probably were, but hot damn do I love the new Starbuck, and not just for the hotty factor, but because the writing for her character simply overpowers the previous Starbuck, which relied solely on Dirk Benedict’s charm.

I thought it was such a ballsy move that I couldn’t help but be impressed by it. And of course, not at all disappointed when it came to the end result.

I’ve got no complaints about the gender stuff now, but I do think the new show’s sacrificed the buddy factor for a little too much of an ensemble piece. The one thing I don’t like about the new show is the number of characters fighting for screen time. We’ve barely seen Apollo or Starbuck the past two episodes. I’m sure they’ll soon be back, but then somebody else will vanish for a while. And so on.

To me, this sort of stuff can hurt a show’s identity, because you never know what you’re gonna get each week. And unless you like all the characters equally (which is pretty much impossible), you’re gonna be disappointed on a regular basis when a show is almost completely about characters you’re not interested in. As for me, I have zero interest in the chief character at all, as they’ve never really done much to establish his character, other than to show that he’s involved in an illicit relationship with a Cylon. So eps that are all about him and Boomer are sort of boring. Same with Helo, who’s pretty much an anonymous guy on the run. This is also a consequence of having too many characters, IMO – there isn’t enough time to properly build everybody up as an individual that viewers can care about.

I do think (hope, whatever) that everything is going to come together, and the quality of each episode has been fascinating regardless, though.

At this point, I’m not at all certain you’re supposed to care about Helo all that much.

Seems to me, anything involving him is nothing more than more Cylon exposition.

Also, showing off more badass Centurion animation.

Gah! How fucking cool is this series?

Brett - I had the Viper that did shoot the bullets. My brother had the Raider, and I remember being insanely jealous of it.

As much as I like the new Cylon Centurian animation, the originals still win out in my little fanboy world.

Yeah, but these things actually manage to look menacing.

The others only looked menacing if you were 7 years old when watching.

Menacing? The new ones get taken out by a pistol shot to the head.

Well, according to what we can guess of the Cylons’ plan, whenever Helo fights the Centurions, he’s supposed to win and survive, so the Cylons may be making it easy for him.

Mind you, they probably were, but hot damn do I love the new Starbuck, and not just for the hotty factor, but because the writing for her character simply overpowers the previous Starbuck, which relied solely on Dirk Benedict’s charm.

Starbuck is by far my favourite character in the entire series. Katee Sackhoff has a lot of charisma, and does extremely well in breaking out of the silly action adventure stereotype of the strong woman having some kind of fatal, romantic flaw. So far she’s just been all muscle and personality and fun. Exactly what I would expect of a hot shot pilot in space.

I said look. Not are. Specifically the scene in ep5, when the toaster goes off and the Centurion quickly turns around and his eye flashes. I got goosebumps because it just looked so cool!

What, you mean besides the part where she blames herself for Adama’s other son’s death, or the need to go against all authority figures that aren’t Adama?

;)

Now there’s a fella who’s unhappy with his day job.

What, you mean besides the part where she blames herself for Adama’s other son’s death, or the need to go against all authority figures that aren’t Adama?

I wouldn’t classify that as a fatal, romantic flaw. I would classify that as an error in judgement that one can expect any human to make. I also don’t see her as rebelling against authority, just that Commander Tigh is a jerk and they hate eachother. Then again, she doesn’t really HAVE many authority figures other than the Adama’s and Tigh.

The fatal 1978 accident involving the Colonial Viper toy was the incident that caused all subsequent toys to have, er “safely under-powered” projectiles.

• Alan