Battlestar Galactica

I have never heard of this. Perhaps its because all of the television I watch is on basic cable; but SciFi, for example, wouldn’t dream of interrupting new episodes of its top-rated TV shows.[/quote]
Sure they would, they do it all the time. They split the Stargate seasons into 2 halves, call each half a “season”, hype up the “season premieres”, and I recall them a few years back holding the last 4 or 5 Season 3 Farscape episodes until after they were shown in the UK.

Everything I’ve read leads me to believe that this is the production company’s policy of splitting the season in half and have done this since Showtime was purchasing the show.

Brilliant episode to start the show up again after the small break (yeah, like I wasn’t going to watch it anyway). Although my wife did comment on the “now run off and get in your ships part” as well.

I sort of yelled at my TV a bit during this episode. All good :)

I’m also kinda convinced that this is a long drawn Cylon plot - not only did they destroy most of humanity, they will eventually subjugate the rest of them to their will by imposing their “God” on them, whether by hook or crook, generate a way to reproduce (Boomer 2 on Caprica as the test subject), and ultimately triumph: Cylons as the new humans.

Also note that in order to do this, the Cylons can’t afford to kill them all off - they need humans to help them become, in essence, human.

— Alan

Of course the whole thing is a Cylon plot. They say so at the beginning of every episode. The monkey wrench I see is that the President does in fact seem to be fulfilling a prophecy, which will be kind of cool. Unless that’s also the Cylons doing, and they caused her to hallucinate the snakes.

Just saw it and it was a great episode.

Is Caprica-Boomer supposed to be pregnant? I assume she was vomiting from morning sickness. I know Helo was asking her about the anti-radiation medication but I’m not sure the cylons can get radiation sickness.

I posted this in the other BG thread by mistake. It’s now deleted, so I thought I’d toss it in here…

I’m sure everyone caught that line from Six this week about how “this has all happened before and will happen again.” Maybe the Cylons are playing “God”'s role in regularly wiping out the human race and forcing history to repeat itself. So, human development cycles almost exactly, over and over and over, but man continues to make the same mistake with the development of sentient machines – playing God – and so always winds up being destroyed. Which means that the 12 Colonies existed before, elsewhere in the universe, Earth existed before, and so forth. This would explain the prophecies, what Six said, and so on.

So perhaps the original BG actually happened elsewhere in the universe a long time before the events of this new show. This would be an interesting way of acknowledging the original show, legitimizing it with the new one and bringing the whole franchise together (which I’m sure the marketing weasels would love), yet not embracing the schlock of the 70s version. It would also be a unique idea where sci-fi TV is concerned, and might bring back the old fans who still think the new show is a travesty.

That, to me, would be neat, even if they only ever acknowledged this by simply explaining what Six means about everything happening before and including some offhand remark that could only be in reference to the original BG. Also, it would add emphasis to that cool old opening line “There are those who believe that life here, began out there,” spoken by Patrick Macnee.

Then again, part of me is still the eight-year-old kid who was glued to the TV every Sunday night in 1978-79. So this is probably super-geek wishful thinking.

I think I would revile the show if they tried anything like that.

I’m also not sure about the Cylons being “God” because I’m fairly certain Six always refers to him as a he. I could accept the possibility that the God she refers to is their Imperious Leader.

God is a ‘he’ to her - I seem to remember her going ballistic when Baltar suggested equal opportunity theology, and it’s monotheistic rather than the humans’ collection. Very much doubt it’s the IL - everything they’ve mentioned so far suggests pretty standard religion - Baltar giving himself over, praying and being used as an instrument of will and so on.

Of course, there’s also another query - whether or not Six really is representative of all Cylons in her beliefs.

The Cylon they captured and Starbuck interrogated seemed to share her beliefs as well, so I think it’s probably pretty widespread or universal. The question remains whether they really believe it, or are just messing with the humans.

Or indeed, whether they believe it, and it’s coming from someone else.

I think it’s supposed to imply that she’s pregnant yeah. The anti-radiation pills can make you sick (was the implication), but she doesn’t take 'em anyway because she doesn’t need to. Or maybe she does actually (to protect her organics).

— Alan

Why? It would be a hell of a lot more original than some mysterious man/creature/Imperious Leader/machine pretending to be God, doing a tired old Wizard of Oz schtick. I love the idea of this conflict between the Cylons and Man recycling itself over and over again, for eternity, because Man is apparently fatally flawed, because of Divine justice, whatever.

That sure seems to be what Six is getting at judging by her comments in the last episode. The prophecies hint at this as well with the mention of snakes. Ever seen an Ouroboros, where a snake is devouring its tail? That refers to an eternal cycle of destruction, which would seem pretty appropriate here. I mean, check this link out. If the snake stuff is just a coincidence, I’ll be absolutely amazed.

http://abacus.best.vwh.net/oro/ouroboros2.html

If God is ever actually shown in the new series, that’s the moment I retreat to the days when Cylons were shiny, not sexy.

They had the Devil as a bad guy in the old series, along with some angels fighting him, so it’s not like it was that much better.

Ugh. Remember those eps with Apollo and those guys in the white outfits? Wow. Though the one with Patrick Macnee as that devil-like guy was pretty nifty, even if it made no sense in the end.

The Mormon / Battlestar Galactica connection

Don’t misunderstand my throwing that theory about the IL out there as any sort of assertion of how I want it to turn out. I’d feel pretty insulted if any character/race of beings/whatever turned out to be the Cylon’s God. Actually, my saying I’d revile the writers was more reference to an attempt to tie the show into the original series. I’m perfectly happy with it being a reimagined show using the source material as a general reference and little else.

I also misread what you were saying about the Cylon’s role in the Human life-cycle. Saying they are playing “God”'s role threw me off – that they would actually see themselves as the God Six preaches of. I want to see them as hands of their God (tangentially, I also want to see Baltar begin to see himself as a prophet after a few more “miracles”). I do agree with you, though; about the idea of a neverending cycle for the Humans.

I think you can do all that and toss in a tie-in with the original series. As I said, something really minor would be fine. It could be something of a throwaway line, perhaps something like “Who knows, in another incarnation of man, Starbuck might have been a guy and Boomer a black dude.” I dunno. Just some minor reference to make both shows canon, but still completely separate. I hate thinking that the new show, as great as it is, in some way invalidates the old show. I know, pretty geeky.

Haven’t we had the old Cylon’s in the original (new) mini series? Maybe we should leave it at that…

I really hope they don’t tie in with the original series. I loved it at the time, being all of six or seven, but it’s a pale shade of the new.