Battlestar Galactica

You’re kidding, right? What’s more tired than a season-ending cliffhanger where a major character is almost killed? I admit that the “he was replaced by a clone” plot twist is pretty weak as well, especially to comic-book fans, but I’ll be really disappointed if this turns into a sci-fi version of Who Shot JR?

I didn’t get the impression at all that nobody believed the story. It was just Tyrol, who knows her better than anyone else in the fleet, who helped cover up for her with the missing explosives, and who witnessed her strange behaviour when studying the captured raider. Aside from Baltar, nobody else in the fleet had any real reasons to suspect her or think she was suicidal. Exactly who else made any mention of Boomer’s behaviour the last two eps except Baltar, Tyrol and Six? Adama’s got a million things on his mind, and probably chose her to lead the mission because she’s the best pilot not named Apollo or Starbuck, and her injury clearly wasn’t that severe.

Personal misgivings aren’t limited only to doubt or lack or trust, but can also include fear, anxiety, and apprehension. If you sent someone out on a probable suicide mission, wouldn’t you think that person would experience some of those emotions? Wouldn’t it be reasonable for Adama to compliment Boomer and her ECO for overcoming that? That’s why “personal misgivings” is an interesting choice of words, because in that context it has different meanings to Boomer and Apollo, and Adama can praise one and admonish the other with the same sentence.

That’s not really how I pictured it. It actually took quite a while for the Raptor to approach and find a place to land, and while it was doing so, the Boomers on the Basestar become aware that one of their kind was near. The Basestar also had a lot of Number Sixes and the other models on board, but it was only the other Boomers who went to meet Sharon.

I was thinking that with the Basestar and hundreds of raiders in orbit, there would be little chance of anyone sending a rescue mission to retrieve Baltar and the others. The Cylons might have thought that the humans might not take that risk.

That could be interesting though. The President’s in the brig, the Vice-President is missing, the commander-in-chief of the fleet is incapacitated and near death, Tom Zarek is waiting in the wings and the XO’s wife is colluding with him.

I thought it was odd that while Boomer meeting all her doubles on the Cylon ship seemed predetermined, it was all based on the incredible bad luck of the warhead not launching.

I think the most likely reason for that would be that Boomer was responsible for that, under Cylon control.
The message she was given, that they would see her soon could be interpreted as they know what she will do when she gets back, and know that she’ll be killed and her “soul” returned to them.
I think Boomer shooting Adama was as much a shock to her as it was to me.

I can’t see Adama being either a Cylon or dead. He’s too important, nobody in the cast can take his place.

that was awesome when i saw that -------------- was on the asteroid prison planet, AND was wearing an old-style uniform, indicating ------------- had been there for weeks!

I’m not sure why you would believe her arrival was predetermined. It seems likely that your typical Cylon Basestar has thousands of humanoid Cylons inside, what with all the windows we see during the close-up approach, of which some number are Boomer models. When she landed, those twenty or so Boomers in that area of the ship sensed her presence through the Cylon equivalent of a Boomer Wi-Fi network and went to greet her.

At least that’s my take.

You’re kidding, right? What’s more tired than a season-ending cliffhanger where a major character is almost killed? I admit that the “he was replaced by a clone” plot twist is pretty weak as well, especially to comic-book fans, but I’ll be really disappointed if this turns into a sci-fi version of Who Shot JR?

Fair enough. The only satisfactory thing would be if he’s actually dead, as unlikely and undesirable as that is for any number of other reasons - unless EJ Olmos really wants to move on.

But if Adama is a clone, I’m going to have a hard time caring about the apparent fate of any other character for the rest of the series. To continue with the Dallas references, it threatens to undermine any future tension like having one character awake from a dream.

I’m not sure why you would believe her arrival was predetermined. It seems likely that your typical Cylon Basestar has thousands of humanoid Cylons inside, what with all the windows we see during the close-up approach, of which some number are Boomer models. When she landed, those twenty or so Boomers in that area of the ship sensed her presence through the Cylon equivalent of a Boomer Wi-Fi network and went to greet her.

At least that’s my take.[/quote]

It was just too pat. Also, your explanation makes the audience assume too much. There was no foreshadowing about the Cylon Boomers at all. The Raptor landed, and they were there waiting for Colonial Boomer. Which strongly implies that the whole thing was a set-up, at least when it comes to TV/movie logic.

And I don’t understand how anyone who claims to enjoy the new BG could be bothered by the “Adama is a Cylon” possibility. This whole show is centered around how the Cylons now look like humans, and the paranoia that that engenders. If you don’t like that basic, Body Snatchers-like idea – and a lot of people didn’t, before the miniseries aired – you shouldn’t be watching. It only makes sense for the Cylons to try and infiltrate the upper echelons of the fleet, to have more control over their manipulations. It would be more goofy if they didn’t want to replace Adama.

There is one strong indication that Adama isn’t a Cylon that nobody’s mentioned, btw. Judging by what Six has been saying to Baltar, the Cylons have wanted the fleet to reach Kobol, and then find the way to Earth all along. Adama, on the other hand, was pushing against this, to the point of arresting the president, as he believes Earth is a myth. And right after he locks up the “let’s find Earth” president, he’s shot and apparently killed by a Cylon agent. Which leaves Rosslyn in charge and freely able to try and get the fleet to Earth.

So what about Cylon Rosslyn?

One thing I’m curious about the whole chain of events that will happen when Starbuck gets to Galactica.

Starbuck knows Boomer is a Cylon.
The Cylon detector didn’t work then.
Baltar, therefore, is immediately under suspicion, and Rosslyn already thinks that Baltar had something to do with the attack.
But Rosslyn is in jail.

Should be interesting.

There was nothing to indicate that anyone other than Boomer and Baltar knew she had asked him to test her. She did come in during his “R&D” phase, so even if it got out later that she had been tested, he could just say it was an early, imperfect test.

How are you people so far ahead of where the series is on TV right now on Sci-Fi? I don’t understand why there are so many spoilers in this thread?

–Dave

don’t other countries air stuff sooner? that’s what happened with justice league unlimited…

I guess… but as far as I was aware, this is an American made show and the Sci-Fi airing is the first.

–Dave

Dave, go back to around page 6 in this thread and you’ll figure out where our knowledge of the future is coming from.

Ok, thanks, that did it. SkyTV aired these overseas before we’re getting them here. At least I don’t feel like I missed something anymore.

The series is pretty good so far. Definitely has my interest.

–Dave

Of course, maybe they’re just toying with you. Secretly, the entire storyline was revealed last year, and you’re just being fooled into thinking that the episodes are “new” so people can see how you react. Oh, and XPav is a Cylon.

• Alan

We tried having a seperate thread for the american run, but most of us went the sneaky early viewing internet route it seems.

Real season spoiler:

[color=white]Adama is really Apollo’s father.[/color]

Okay. I finally caught up with you guys.

What’s still amazing me about this show is just how closely they’ve managed to bring in elements of the original without being the original.

Baltar was a member of the council in the original, but of course here that doesn’t happen to episode 10.

There’s even an episode around them having to get fuel and blow up a depot to do it. Of course in the original it was filled with bearded clones in overalls… Moore is practically toying with us!