Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

I tried to load 3025 Extended. I ran into a couple of problems:

(1) The starting mechs on random are terrible. I tried 6 times. I got 4 vulcans and 2 cicadas, quite possibly some of the worst mechs ever made.

(2) Tried starting a mission and after 10 minutes gave up watching the spinning wheel.

This game, mods and my machine do not get along.

On the starting mission issue, did you already have the community asset bundle downloaded before? I needed to download a new version that this mod depends on. Before that it would just sit on the preparing for combat screen.

The starting mechs are terrible, yes. I got a Vulcan, a Stinger, a Firestarter with no flamers, the 1E Locust that sets fire to itself with two Alpha strikes and has armour made out of wet paper and then… the piece de resistance… an Urbanmech.

I started from scratch. I think my computer is just a bit marginal and mods tip this from playable to unplayable.

Those starting mechs sound like a blast. The base game was a bit friendlier than I expected for random mercs in 3025.

One word of caution - you should probably set the mech parts required to build a new mech to five. If you get an enemy to panic and eject it counts as a headshot kill and then the full set of mech parts are available to salvage, post mission.

So you can get some nice shiny new mechs very quickly if you just need three parts.

Also, the fatigue mechanic means you’ll need to hire lots of Mechwarriors, which is a change from the vanilla game. Thankfully their maintenance cost is lower in the mod, but on day two I already had eight jockeys.

So the two big mods for the game people are using is either Roguetech or Battletech Extended 3025?

I just kinda want a mod that makes the game less boring and repetitive.

You want another game, then. :)

BT Extended 3025 adds a bit to the game, but you still cap out on the tech pretty quickly because of the relative rarity of LosTech stuff.

RogueTech optionally adds a lot more tech (personally, I disabled the Dark Age nonsense), but I found it more engaging than either BTE3025 or the base game. And I’m someone who generally despises tier 2 and beyond (Clan tech) in BT. With RT, you start with a meager lance and, due to the various techs available, eventually grind yourself into having a pretty special army.

Is it easier, harder, or same difficulty as vanilla game?

Much, much harder.

RT is a fantastic compromise between tabletop BT and the changes the core game introduces.

Definitely much harder. I love Roguetech, but I go in and tweak several of the mods to suit my preferences.

Hopefully Roguetech will be updated soon to play with the latest release.

It’s in Alpha now, so there’s a general feeling it’ll be available Soon.

Mod support and Rifleman mech

So 8 new mechs and a new Flashpoint. I hope some cool stuff is coming in the patch too as I was hoping the next expansion would bring new ways to play the game.

No Warhammer, Maurader or Archer though, which is a bit upsetting.

According to what I’ve read there will be Archer, Warhammer, and Marauder.

Looks good, although I’m glad it’s part of the season pass because once again the price tag just seems to be way too high on its own.

If that article is a correct that’s a bunch of Unseen 'Mechs getting released. I’ll admit my beloved Orion is a bit of a pig in BattleTech the PC game, having some Warhammer action might be just the ticket. But adding 'Mechs like the Clint and Assassin which are the pinnacle of 3025 bad 'Mechs just makes the early game more fun.

I don’t think the Rifleman will be as effective as it seems on paper. I’ll be curious if the Phoenix Hawk works as well as it did on tabletop - basically an oversized Stinger/Wasp. The Trebuchet is already a great mech - the Archer is just more of that and heavier.

I love 3025 mechs. They’re generally built around some awesome 80s anime rather than being min-max 3/5 machines built by tryhards. This means lots of useless MGs and LLs, bad heat sink placement, and weird armor.