Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

That sounds like a pretty reasonable house rule, my gaming groups did similar things.

Mechs can walk backwards, that has always been in the game. I remember it needed a good pilot back in the day, in computer BT is automatic.

Also re lights: they have added new mechanics like the Sensor Lock ability that kind of gives a role for the little fellas. Also FOW makes them quite more useful than in the tabletop.

I got my refund. I’m very sad I had to refund it.

I will pick this up again in 2 or 3 patches times. It’s perfectly up my street, it’s Battle Brothers withmechs and, apparently, a decent meta game/base thing.

I say apparently because the game kept crashing on me so i never got to see that.

salt

Sorry to hear that @BloodyBattleBritain :(

yeah, but since you can’t run backwards your aggressor can keep pace with you all the way to the edge. And if you imagine the ‘real’ world, the enemy with the advantage could dog you as long as they liked until you were dead, which emphasizes why speed and less tonnage might be disirable. In the books they always had an environmental feature that allowed them to bottleneck or conveniently use a bridge or falling trees or whatever to give distance to retreat, etc, lucky for the heroes…

Good point - I wasn’t so much dismissing the concern as to point out that even in defeat and retreating, an opponent can be dangerous.

Or Long Toms firing Smoke rounds? :D

3440x1440 is 21:9, correct? If so, that setting exists for me…

But do you have UI elements and buttons that fall outside of your viewable screen?

I did with 2560x1080.

I only played for an hour or so, but I am struggling with what everything means and how the systems work. I wish there was a little more feedback in place. No manual apparently, anyone find a good intro guide?

That’s a shame, the lack of a manual. I’d been hoping for something like that up thread.

However, a few folks pre-release did share some nice videos that showed some tips and how to do combat/campaign management, so I would recommend those!

I haven’t touched this past my lunch break when I did the tutorial. I was enjoying my time with it quite a bit in the moment, but reading all the people with issues and skimming reviews on steam I think I’ll keep playing God of War for now and let this build up a patch or two. I’m happy to have it, and I’ll be happy to dig into it when it’s gotten a little love from the developers whom themselves recieved some feedback from the community. I know @ShivaX has been playing it quite a lot, so I think he’s enjoying it right at launch, which inspires hope.

I stand with Tom. If I have to watch a bunch of videos to figure out the basics of how your game works, your game’s presentation is atrocious.

Not to mention BT crashed on me while loading the first mission after the tutorial. It was a good time to get some sleep, so I’ll try again tonight.

I found this very helpful.

The UI is somewhat obscure and unexplained initially but I found just playing the game alleviates that. As you go through the prologue the game keeps explaining additional elements about the UI in pop up tips. Also just poking and prodding it as you play through those beginner missions you can learn a lot.

It’s not ideal but it doesn’t seem as bad as first brush.

I’m delighted with the game so far. The dingy DropShip innards and the battered mechs aplenty really nail that Third Succession War Periphery feel. I’m still not too far into it, but I had to postpone a refit earlier because I was out of heat sinks. That’s the kind of mercenary fun I signed up for. In general, I think the atmosphere is superb, led by the soundtrack and joined by things like the time-passing travel-between-systems screens. I get a sense it’s the sort of thing Weisman has wanted to show for a long time, and only now has easy access to the technology to do so.

Having played a bunch of straight-from-the-rulebooks Battletech via Megamek lately, I agree that it really gets the feel of the combat just right. I don’t think it necessarily takes videos to understand how to manage your mercs or direct them in combat, just a willingness to poke around the UI a little bit.

I’ve had similar luck with headshots as @Mr_Bismarck, with the possible caveat that my PPC-slingers have themselves managed a bunch of improbably deadly ones.

That’s great. To clarify, these are not my videos nor is this my game.

Yes, primarily with things close to the bottom edge of the screen (like Continue, Next, etc) Haven’t noticed anything in the field of play so far…

There was a manual for the beta release, which you can find here.

Obviously it doesn’t cover the campaign and some pieces will be out-dated, but it does detail things like initiative, heat indicators and stability, and things like the brackets around targets that indicate, (by number), how many weapons are in range to that target and, (by colour), whether they’re in optimal range.

The initiative system is particularly key to get your head around, because you can use it for tricks like reserving your light mechs until you can sensor lock targets that have already moved and even effectively gaining a double turn, (by reserving to the end and then going first in the next round).

When you are in the tactical battles you can get by with the UI slightly off the edge of the screen.

The problem I found was UI elements in the strategic layer (mechwarrior skill upgrades in the barracks) were way off screen. I had to switch to a lower resolution to interact with them. Not sure if you got that far yet.

One thing that definitely impressed me so far is the single-mindedness of the AI.

That Vindicator I posted earlier had take some nasty armour damage, but hard as I tried to disengage it the AI just wouldn’t let it go.

I sprinted the Vindicator away, pushed other mechs in the way and even offered a clear melee target, but the AI stayed absolutely focused on the Vindicator until it popped, killing my pilot.

Ah, yes, I’m still in the tutorial section, haven’t quite got to that part yet…

OK!! I looked up the manual for side hits.

So say you are flanking left, on a 2d6:

1-8: hits left stuff.
9: center
10-11: right
12: head

So side hits are not bad.