Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

Weapons have a minimum distance (which can be changed through skills). If you’re loaded out with long range stuff and your opponent is too close, those weapons are unavailable. You also may have toggled them off, they may have been destroyed, or you may not have line-of-sight.

It’s bizarre that they included this manual for the KS backers but didn’t bother including one for the release. This has some really helpful stuff in it!

Thanks for this!!

It is pretty crazy, I backed at the minimum level so I didn’t get into the beta and hadn’t seen this, it has some UI info that’s very informative.

More stupid UI stuff I wish i’d known about before:

When you move… before you confirm facing, you can mouse over targets to see what your hit percentage would be.

You can right click targets to see how much damage they’ve already taken and their loadouts and stuff.

So, it seems like they changed the numbers around for this game vs the board game and higher piloting/gunnery/etc is better but it isn’t really explained. Wish I would have known it at character creation time. That said, I don’t think it really matters from a creation perspective, there’s plenty of XP

I played a few missions last night and had a ton of fun.

I think there’s a more likely explanation for @Sonoftgb.

I keep bumping into a scenario where I wind up with movement selected for my mechwhen it’s turn starts. Not every time, just occasionally. No idea why this is happening. When this happens, if you select an enemy the game is calculating you “move to the enemy and melee attack”. Although some S weapons will also fire (lasers and MGs anyway) in this scenario. Incidentally this leads to my only major interface complaint so far.

Hows about right-click to “back out” of stuff? Like I can mouse button to select move but then decide that the place I have selected as my future destination is no good. I can’t seem to change where I want to move. so I have to hit/left click another option (e.g. attack)/hit escape I think to back up and start over. I’d rather right click and boom I am at “ready position” all over again.

Same goes for sprint/attack/jump. Let me right click to back out of the action.

Second lesser, but still important, complaint: I need to see the event timeline at all times on the ship. It’s very important for making decisions but it’s not omnipresent.

Third issue: why can’t I rearrange mech repair/refit/etc order for things that haven’t been started yet?

I think QT3 is less about “the AI sucks” and more about “why can’t I move??!”

We also have a lot of people that learn by reading rather than poking around. That might be a generational thing too.

Loving the game so far. Several hours in, not a single technical issue, crash, or glitch. It’s working perfectly, and the game itself is a gem!

I’ve learned everything I needed to know about the game from just talking to the crew (after the tutorial mission), Since most of the discussion points are labelled as tutorial, for example: “tutorial: Navigation” I assume this is how the devs expected you to learn it. I’ve not watched a video, or read a manual, and I’m getting along just fine. I’ve completed several missions now, and while I won’t mention spoilers, I will say I love where the story is going. Good stuff.

You can withdraw from a fight. Not sure how since I havent done it but there are loading screen tips on the penalties of doing so

My biggest complaints about the game are the crazy load times and the occasional long pause before the computer takes its turn. I’m only a couple missions in but really liking it overall so far.

You can. Click on “Manage Tasks” on the main screen of your jumpship, under the timeline, and you can move repair and refit orders around.

You don’t have to wait for that 20 day refit to finish before starting on the one day repair.

You can back out of orders by hitting escape.

I noticed one of the starting Merc mechs is a Shadow Hawk, and i remembered somebody many months ago talking about how they liked it in their tabletop campaign as a mercenary. Kind of excited to try it out now!

That was probably me as I have an unhealthy affection for the SHD.

It’s not as noticeable in this game because you’re controlling more than one mech, but in the PnPRPG when you’re controlling only your own ride and nothing else the combination of energy and conventional weapons and the mobility from jump jets gave you something to do every single turn, which was a boon.

I immediately put my own character in the Shadow Hawk here. Then got a pilot crit through the cockpit glass and had to go to hospital for two months.

Yes and I even said that in my post.

You should also be able to back out with right-mouse click.

I’m about fifteen weeks in, and my character has taken seven injuries and participated in just three-eighths of the company’s battles.

Whoa, that’s a golden oldie.

The starting lance alone got me so hyped it is silly. I love the Vindicator, Shadowhawk, and Spider for various reasons.

The Blackjack is the only one that is meh to me on a sentimental level. Swap that out for a Hunchback and it would probably be the perfect light/medium starting lance for me.

I think Peacedog hit it on the head. It hasn’t been a problem once I started remembering the cardinal rule of always moving before firing.

I press 1,2 to change movement placement. Yeah it sucks but this is best workaround I found.

Damn I do love jump jets. ALL IN!!! Banzai!!