Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

Metal rusts, it doesn’t get all wrinkly.

We built robots. Some we painted white. We called them Whitey. Some we painted black. We called them Blackie. Some we did not paint.

What did you call them?

Rusty!

I did both, duh

The best called shot is not the head. It is the legs! ~48%. Once it’s down, you can get free aimed shots.

Take both legs out, and you get 2 mec parts.
Take 1 leg, 2 side torsos, you get 3 mec parts but run risk of blowing it up if you overhit the center torso.

I never played Battletech in high school (I did RPGs), but I was secretly jealous / intrigued by the Battletech clique. I still remember many of their faces and names.

Ok so check the stores, if there’s any plus signs, buy it! I am at my… third priority mission and started checking stores. Some good stuff there. I haven’t had time to equip it into my mecs thought. Repairs take up all the time.

I think salvage is good so you can get 3 pieces and unlock a heavy mec. I have one so far that I got from a lucky wild headshot.

Just thought i’d chime in to say I love Battletech. Battletech is my people. I don’t need perfect.

The UI is a bit obtuse, though I found it easy enough to figure out just by playing through the tutorial and the first real mission. I did play the backer beta for like twenty minutes, and read that manual a while back, so I did have some background at least (as well as a fair amount of now very old BT knowledge, and a bunch of old BT stuff on the bookshelf).

The problem I think is not the lack of information, as there is a ton of stuff here. It’s how it’s presented. The game really could have benefited from someone realizing they needed to have a much more straightforward tutorial/manual or other intro to the basic mechanics.

Wheeee…

I may get carried away with the 4k screenshot button.

Todays Nvidia driver update increased my FPS by about 15-20 and seems to stay steadier with less dips so that is nice.

I haven’t been this smitten with a single player game in a while, Harebrained delivered precisely what I wanted and more.

I enjoy seeing a lot of the DNA of the Shadowrun games carried through and permeating Battletech.

Fantastic screenshots!

What were the keybibds for the 4K screenshot again if I may ask?

Left CTRL + K.

Screenshots go into \AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes but! In each battle the naming starts at 0, so it’ll overwrite past screenshots unless you move them out somewhere else first.

Thank you, very helpful!

Quick question, is the campaign dynamic?

Yeah, when I backed this, this is precisely what I hoped it would be.

I’m having a lot of fun, but I’ll admit I’m scared down the road I’ll hit that dreaded difficulty wall that reveals I lost months ago and didn’t know it as the things I’m facing are more than my mechs can manage. I’m hopeful if I do an adequate job in the tactical and don’t just go complete brain dead on the strategic management that this won’t happen and the game won’t down the road suffer from what I’ve come to think of as the puzzle paradox, where the victory path narrows such that I don’t have room for failure and recovery.

Oh, on a note of near failure, vehicles sometimes scare me more than mechs, and my god light mechs can get torn up easily, I nearly lost one on the last mission, at first point of engagement he nearly got the entire right side shot off and I had to spend the rest of the mission trying to keep him alive from a rather clever AI that was now fixated on killing him.

I really am enjoying this one, a lot.

Remember that Strikers have about 3x the damage output of a Scorpion. Kill those little wheeled basterds first!

It kind of depends on what you mean. By my definition, no - the game doesn’t play itself while you sit there. However, it’s open-ended with procedural side missions (you can keep on playing when the story is done), but I believe the “story line” missions are set pieces.

So it’s kind of like Mechwarrior Mercenaries? (Or was it Mechwarrior 2) where there are fixed missions where you will progress through but there are also randomly generated missions available to do while you figure out when to tackle those fixed missions.

Edit: In terms of the campaign. Combat is turn-based from what I gather here.

Similar, yes. My hours spent are VERY limited, so take what I say with a grain of salt. A good description was in the kickstarter:

The STAGE 3 EXPANDED MERCENARY CAMPAIGN puts you in full control of your life as a Mercenary. The campaign becomes open-ended, allowing you to charter JumpShip transport for your mercenary outfit when needed - travel to various hot-zones across the Periphery and Inner Sphere. You’ll be able to choose your contracts and alliances, with both the Great Houses and other subfactions within the Inner Sphere.

Over time, the missions you choose to accept and the objectives competed in those missions will determine your reputation as a mercenary. Your reputation will affect the contracts and contract terms you may be offered in the future. But be wary: each Great House - and in some cases, each House representative - can have their own agendas, sometimes leading you into bad deals or deadly betrayals.

To support this open-ended Mercenary career, STAGE 3 adds a wide variety of “side-contracts” in addition to the story campaign, as well as a procedural contract-generation system to ensure that you always have fresh contracts available, wherever your Mercenary career may take you.

Thanks! This ticks all my checkboxes. Unfortunately, that I have a paper coming up for submission and work at office is hitting a crucial phase as well.

I’ll just live vicariously through you guys!

I destroyed an annoying Locust with a kick to the face. I’m hooked.

I was a little slow on the F12 key so I only got a shot from after the locust hit the ground. Kicked it so hard it clipped trough the terrain a little.