Bayonetta

My scores gradually got worse as I went through the game.

Also I never ever had a surplus of crafting materials. It seemed like I always had “just enough.”

Yeah, mine too. Except for some positive end boss outliers. But that state didn’t last long.
Bayonetta is all about replayability, you’ll be a monstrous queenmother of witch when starting your 2nd playthrough latest.

But don’t the scores get added to your halo total? It seemed like they did – at least, at the end of each fight scene, it seems like platinum medals give you a direct bonus to your halo count. But it’s only like 1000 in the best case, so probably not that big a deal.

Thanks for the tip on grinding the train station. I’m not sure I want to bother with that because yeah, it does seem like cheating. But I think the first artifact I want is Selene’s Whateveritis, the one that gives you witch time when enemies do damage. I mean, how can you go wrong with that???

I finally got rid of the big head after realizing that I was spazzing out too much and I had to slow down and dodge a bit more mellowly. It worked quite well actually.

Also, it’s clear that the secret to this game, just like Arkham Asylum, is to NOT GET HIT. Which is fucking hard for me since I don’t have years of experience with fighting games and extended combos. Still, I will get the hang of it, because witch time is fucking addicting…

Like I said, I had no bad conscience about doing it with the moon, because muscle memory / trained reflexes are pretty annoying to retrain.

Selene’s light and the one that conjures butterflies which absorb damage are highly recommended to newcomers. The moon is really awesome, like that defender/guardian/whatever it was called in Devil May Cry 3, only with more lenient timing.

I played this one on the ps 3, but I’m considering to search for a cheap xbox copy for the better framerate and more importantly better triggers on the controller…

Doesn’t matter, you will hardly be able to get above a stone medal in later stages. Thus the consumed lollypops and their effect on the score are of zero importance to you.

Dodging for the win.

I do not think I have hated and loved a game as much as Bayonetta. If I was a controller thrower, I would have gone through a case of them.

This, exactly. I had a few moments of “Oh fuck fuck fuck this, it’s impossible”, followed by “Oh, that was easy” two minutes later.

I fucking love Bayonetta. It’s absolutely shameless and revels in having no purpose but being ridiculously over the top sexy action.

Now on to the “cheating”:
If you start at the beginning of chapter 2 (or wherever you start in the train station…) jump up to the second floor. Destroy all benches, except for one near the train. After you destroyed all benches, except for that last one, break that one too. There should be a whistle and the train starts to move. If you then jump on the train you drive into the tunnel, get 10.000 halos and get reset to the hall. Then you can restart the level and repeat this until you can afford whatever accesory you want to buy.

800,000 halo a fight, 0 chance of losing.

I went back to this game a week ago intending to just play through again on hard, but then I saw I pretty much got stone trophies on most chapters and only played for like 12 hours. It was disappointing to see that for a game I claimed to love. Instead of continuing on to hard I’ve been going for pure platinum trophies on normal and it’s like a whole different game. I think when I originally played through the game I mostly mashed and stuck with the sword Shuraba till the end. Going for pure platinum though has really made me up my game considerably by forcing me to learn how to make and maintain long combo strings for lots of points, as well as mastering all the Alfheim’s which I barely tried in my original playthrough.

The strategies for all the online pure platinum guides I’ve found seem like they can all be summed up in three words: “Spam Kilgore Glitch”, so I’ve mostly been learning how to get by on my own since I want legit trophies. It has been pretty satisfying so far though I have a long ways to go still skill wise. Some of those combo vids are nuts. Would love to get to that point, but I’ll probably burn out long before then.

Oh yeah, any of you get the Future Press guide? The price that book is going for right now is crazy. I hopefully lucked out last night and got a copy from some New Zealand online book store dirt cheap, but I’m not holding my breath.

I picked this game up sometime last month and I finally got around to playing it last night…I finished it today and wow what a blast! I played though on easy because frankly I suck ass at these games but I loved every second of it. Even on easy I had a few wtf moments but overall I had a great time. The story was way over the top but I loved it even if none of it made any sense.

Bitches be crazy and I love it.

Oh yeah and the Store guy is 3 dog from FO3 which was interesting.

Now that you’ve got the feel for it, Marcus, switch off of fap mode. Normal is a real challenge, I won’t deny that, but it’s really just the right kind. Hard is another nightmare entirely (one I love in short doses, but fuuuuuuuuuck it lives up to the name), but normal is pure joy once you start really getting it.

That was my experience too. Normal felt like a great balance - it was tough enough that you were bound to build your skills enough to make tackling Hard difficulty a reality, but with the right equipment you could probably play on Normal “poorly” and still finish the game, albeit with poor ratings.

Only if you go for the “get all PP ratings” challenge should you find Normal extremely difficult.

Hard mode forced me to quit for a while out of frustration. Not because I couldn’t beat it, but I get obsessed with mastering these games, and trying to get all PP ratings on Hard caused so many ragequits on my part that I just had to put the game aside for a while.

Bought the Collector’s edition several months ago, on ebay, for $80.

triangle-triangle-circle-circle-circle (top-top-right-right-right) combo

Thank you for putting any interest I have in this game to rest.

I normally hate games that involve heavy combo use but Bayonetta is just…different. Even my wife finds it really interesting to watch me play it.

FWIW, I’m mostly terrible at the DMC / GOW-type games; but I was able to blunder thru and button-mash my way to victory on Normal without ever consulting a FAQ or resorting to cheese-ball tactics.

…or if I did, they were cheeseball tactics I invented on my own. :-)

Very Easy difficulty option. This game is worth playing for the foes and the cut-scenes alone.

Fucking angels.

There are series of videos up on the platinum gamessite with commentary by game’s creative director, Hideki Kamiya. I think it’s him playing through the whole game as well.

If you are someone who likes listening to dvd commentary tracks this is pretty neat. Especially since this rarely happens in games. The downside is it’s subtitled, so you can’t just have it on in the background.

I wish more people would do this, I would pay for a brutal legend commentry track with tim schafer or a ken levine bioshock one.

Those commentaries look fantastic, I love that stuff in games, Valve’s commentary nodes in their levels are great, too. Some of the Iwata asks features at Nintendo have a similar vibe.

Looking over the thread, it looks like I never posted about this game after playing it. I had a shit-ton to say about it, and I think I never posted it because I was working on getting it all coherent instead of just gibbering like a madman.

Anyways, the short of it is that I think it’s fantastic, and that it does a great job of being about “sexy” without being about “sex”. It’s a very Japanese distinction (you can also see it more clumsily implemented in the DoA games), and has a lot to do with whether the characters have nipples.

The story is nonsense, of course, but I find myself wondering if people who had trouble following it have much background in, for example, anime. I feel like there’s a lot of nonsense in this kind of anime storyline that you can just ignore, the basic structure of what actually happens in the plot isn’t that complex.

From a gameplay perspective, I have a couple problems with it, mostly stemming from the fact that it doesn’t force the player to use all the different, very neat weapons that are available. It’s very easy to coast through the game with Scarborough Fair / katana, but doing so is really missing out. I wish it had been more explicit about explaining the variety of options available. This might be a philosophical thing, since it reminds me of Vanquish, where it really requires multiple playthroughs focusing on different weapon upgrades to explore the whole range of weapon possibilities.

Anyways, what I actually wanted to post is that in addition to the Space Harrier level, I’m pretty sure (hopefully the dev commentaries can confirm this) that the Chapter 8 motorbike sequence is a reference to a fairly obscure but awesome Sega arcade game called Wild Riders, where the arcade box featured bike handlebars that you could push and pull on in order to slide or jump your bike.

RedHerb, thanks for that link! I’m loving those videos.