Beauty and the Beast - Live action, Emma Watson as Belle

The film will be directed by Bill Condon and produced by Mandeville Films’ David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman. Production is anticipated to begin later this year and we are anticipated to start freaking out.

I guess Disney is about a tenth of the way through their fairy princess inventory.

I wonder if they’ll go costume/makeup or CGI for the Beast?

Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton can reprise their roles.

…I think I would rather see Robbie Benson get a second shot.

I’d really prefer neither of the above scenarios. Stop winking at the past and just make a quality film.

Teaser trailer: https://youtu.be/c38r-SAnTWM

I just assumed all the live action Disney remakes would be terrible, so I watched the trailer… And I’m not convinced it will be now. I can definitely see Emma Watson pulling her weight in something like this.

As long as it’s still a musical, I could give it the time of day. Those are big shoes to fill though.

If 95% of your characters are CGI (as I assume they will be since it’s all dancing pots and tea cups) is it really “live action”?

A good point. It’s almost more about tone & visual style these days. Gravity, for instance, counts as live action for me, even though it’s mostly just two human faces in an animated movie.

I was expecting at any moment Meat Loaf to burst through on his motorcycle and starting singing that he would do anything for love.

I think you accidentally linked to a tech demo for a new game engine.

Have you seen any of the other live action remakes? I heard good things about both Cinderella and The Jungle Book.

Cinderella was ok, I didn’t think it particularly special. Malificent, however, I thought was a wonderful twist on the tale.

More views than the previously most watched teaser SW:FA. I can totally see how this could be the ladies’ ‘Star Wars’… it’s my wife’s favorite Disney film, and every thirty-something-and-down lady has probably seen it at this point, so yeah.

My wife’s favorite as well. I’ve already penciled in that we’re going for her birthday next year. As Star Wars was a first week movie for me (reviews irrelevant), so this is for her.

Yeah, this will be huge. Emma Watson was genius casting for this audience, and it’s hard to imagine how they can screw it up too badly (to my mind it’s also hard to imagine how it can justify its existence, since the original animated film holds up just fine, but there you are).

March is an odd release month, though. I guess the summer movie season just gets earlier and earlier.

That’s really it, isn’t it? Maleficent did the most,I think, to achieve justification because it told a different story. Cinderella was, for the most part, a straight retelling of the original animated film, with some added bits of backstory to make the step mother/ sisters a bit more fleshed out, and added some more flavor to the ball. However other than a few slight additions and subtractions it was the same story.

I can’t speak for The Jungle Book.

There is opportunity to do more. If it is basically a scene for scene recreation I’m sure it’ll do financially fine, but be generally lacking in merit. I hope they differentiate this story in some meaningful way.

Having seen a very good local production of the musical play Beauty and the Beast I think there is a great market for a well done version of this, and Disney knows the demographic is out there. The other one is The Little Mermaid. My 20 something kids will see both of them over and over again.

Yeah, you gotta figure that’s in the pipeline. That would do gangbusters.

One I think could be quite interesting? Mulan. Not to mention it would probably be good for Disney, as it would be a good target for that now important Chinese market.

Mulan is also in the pipeline.

Speak of the devil…