Beer & Pretzel Wargaming

The first one (and I assume that was what Balasarius was referring to as well). I had no idea that RTS existed, or maybe I just erased the reference from my memory bank.

This game was great, and directly led me to HOI 2/3 and EU 2/3, as I searched the web for “Games like Axis and Allies, but with MORE STUFF”.

I LOVED the old board game and played the absolute shit out of it from late college to early in my military service. Then we started getting serious about playing it, and that’s when things got somewhat ruined for me. There are a few strategies that end up being overwhelmingly used and end in decisive victories unless house rules are put in place to slow them down or prevent their use.

My only issue with the PC game was that it didn’t know those strategies. I could beat it consistently. It did have a few rules you could check on and off that helped, but I had to handicap myself to use traditional gameplay when on the PC. I still played it a ton.

Thanks for all of the mentions of Order of Battle, I picked it up. So far have finished the tutorial, bought the Blitzkrieg DLC and have played the first two German battles.

Has anyone played OOB 1 vs 1 PBEM? How does it hold up? Do you have any specific map recommendations that worked well in multiplayer?

Is there any way to get more info about the specific unit? I know I can see their statistics, but it doesn’t help me understand the broader context of the units. For example, there are 4 variants of the 1939 German tanks, many different artillery pieces, different variant of fighters and bombers, and I don’t always understand which is which. Does it assume a high level of WWII unit knowledge or does it explain the units somewhere?

Arise!

I have some Slitherine anniversary coupons and am feeling the itch to try a new B & P wargame. My only stipulations are that it have a decent AI for single player and if it is a WW II game and I only want to play the Allied side would the AI provide a challenge. Any recommendations since 2017?

I think that Order of Battle and Panzer Corps are still the gold standard for beer and pretzel games. I haven’t played it and it’s a little more involved but I think Warplan is also very good. Someone just made a separate thread about another WWII game called…Hex of Steel? It’s not available on Slitherine but it is reasonably priced on Steam. And of course there’s always the Strategic Command games.

Milspec you’ve probably beaten the game by now but you can look at the unit stats to see the differences between the units. Some units may carry more ammo or have a longer range. Some may hit harder against soft or hard targets.

I like Rule the Waves, so I’d suggest Rule the Waves 2, as it expands into WW2. I haven’t bought it because it’s got some tedious activation process, so maybe the game’s become a mess with the addition of airplanes? Who knows!

I don’t have RtW2, but I have done some extensive reading on their forums and it does kind of sound like airplanes have if not exactly ruined the game at least turned it into something I do not want, much like they did to real naval warfare!

OGRE springs to my mind for a Beer & Pretzels Wargame.

Thankfully, Ogre’s WW2 views are highly controversial, even in the internet.

I heard OGREs were to be used to keep down the Zombie Population that kept springing up.

I’ve driven that in Battlefield 1!

Thanks for the suggestions. Hex of Steel does look interesting. WarPlan seems a bit more involved than what I’m looking for ATM

I’ve been crushed by that in Battlefield 1!

Could you give a brief summary of makes you not want RtW2? I’m in the same situation of possibly wanting more RtW but unsure if I should buy RtW2 or hope that I still have RtW installed on a computer I can access.

I think you only need your serial number to play the first game, as the installer might be available from the website?

Well it’s been a while since I hit the forums,.so they may have changed stuff (I know it gets steady updates), but the air power stuff just sounded extremelyy fiddly, and the AI didn’t handle it very well, and on top of everything I’m just not interested in naval warfare past the age of Big Ship Combat. Airplanes are airplanes and ships are ships!

The AI would be a big deal.

I love the big ships but I think the transition could also be neat if it is handled well by the AI.