Beer & Pretzel Wargaming

That seems to be the update installer not the actual installer. When I run it an error pops up saying I don’t have RtW installed to patch. Which is what I thought I remembered from last year when I got my last itch to design BBs.

Does Unity of Command 2 fall into this category? I just picked it up on Steam for $12, but, sigh, I hate tutorials…

Look for an email from nws-online, maybe. I think they sent me a download link, and who knows it might even be good. Worse comes to worst I can send you the installer I have stashed away somewhere.

Thanks for the offer but I think I’m going to take this as a gentle reminder that I should play something from my backlog instead of fiddling around reinstalling RtW.

Check out The Troop demo - The Troop on Steam

Field of Glory 2 is pretty B&P and is 75% off at the moment Field of Glory II - Game - Matrix Games

I have RtW2, there are options to delay airpower and another to limit size of airfields - a bunch of airfields of 20 planes is very different than ones with 100 planes. Once planes come around, the starting location / map size get larger so they take longer.

I don’t know if i would call it fiddly but it is not smooth. You setup search zones, if you have carriers you can launch strikes to locations or spotted ships. Land base air bases are under the AI. Once airpower becomes powerful and if there are lots of airbases it is dominant.

I finally started Warhammer 40k Armageddon. I think it’s good so far. Reminds me of Relics of War

The “The Troop” link doesn’t work anymore?

Too bad that noone mentioned the Hegemony series, yet. Means I have to step in again!

Later entries trend towards 4X / Grand Strategy, as they incorporate more strategic decisions for researching skills and upgrading cities. But the Hegemony games are wargames at heart, especially when it comes to the historical campaigns.

I found them easy to pick up, there is a pragmatic degree of unit diversity and it’s 3D models after all, which makes it a lot easier. You have a nice combination of strategic, tactical and operational levels of warfare and these are nicely implemented as well. And being in real-time with a seamless zoom between strategic kingdom map and tactical battlefield map makes for a great feeling of flow!

They may be easy to pick up, but they are the opposite of the time requirements of Beer & Pretzels to me: a Civilization game feels speedy compared to them!

Ah, that’s true, of course! These games are not finished in 1 hour. However, being easy to pick up means, you can play a bit, lay it aside and pick it up later on again. No need to memorize stuff and get aquainted with the situation again for half an hour before you make your next move!