Best Chrome add-ons thread

OK - gonna try Chrome again. Not sure why, I’m a huge FF fan, and have a ton of add-ons to make it look and work just like I like it. (Kinda like Fallout 3 with all the “mods.” ;) )

Anyway, the main thing that has kept me from staying with Chrome is the inability to customize it. Now that it has add-on support (extensions?) I’m going to give it another go. So - please list what you consider the “best” extensions/add-ons for Chrome!

(Oh - does stumbleupon support Chrome yet?)

Thanks.

Facebook Beautify, IE tab, and AdBlock (only toggled on when ads are interfering with my browsing experience in some way).

What I really want is an extension that improves their download system.

Something that is essential for me that STILL isn’t available in Chrome as far as I can tell: a simple new mail notifier for Gmail that let’s me play a sound to tell me a new email has arrived. The Gmail notifiers for Chrome only do it visually. What is so hard about doing this in Chrome?

Be sure to get yourself the Google Reader extension, very handy to keep track of things.

IE tab is also essential, simply because some websites (very rare but my entire college might aswell block Chrome completely for all the good it does with their infrastructure) are coded so that they still won’t work fully with Chrome. the only thing is AFAIK you need a working install of IE8 in order to make use of the tab extension.

Other then that it’s up to you, as with FF there are thousands of Extensions to do pretty much anything you want. I’d like a nice Download manager but to be honest Chrome’s own built in one isn’t all that bad once you get used to it.

Google Mail Checker Plus has an option to turn off a notification sound. I assume that’s what you are looking for.

I have:
Split screen
Adblock
Browser button for Adblock
Copy without formatting
Image search
Mouse stroke
Pixlr Grabber
Symtica
Tab Menu
Turn off the lights

It’s getting there. Not sure which of these come with the browser and which I added.

Ah, great! Thanks!

Now - is there an extension that lets me download flv videos from pages that do not have a download option?

AdThwart
All Search
FlashBlock
LastPass
Readability
Xmarks Bookmarks Sync

I had to switch back to Firefox for a few specific features that I really need, but Chrome is wonderful to use.

Damn. Can’t get the sound part of Google Mail Checker Plus to work. I just get a static-y “blip.” Changed the mp3 it uses, using their instructions, and no change. Argh.

Surely others here use some kind of Gmail notifier that plays a sound when you get email?

EDIT: Fixed. Works fine now!

Google dictionary is really nice. Web of Trust (WOT) too.

Chrome’s extension library has really blown up lately! And now that you can sync extensions between multiple computers and Chrome’s task manager can monitor extension resource usage, I have few qualms about installing too many extensions.

• AdThwart (what I was using) is now the official AdBlock Plus. It has been acquired by the ABP guy, and is being worked on by both him and Adthwart’s creator. It has also gotten around the problem with loading the ads and THEN blocking them.
  • Notscripts, Chrome’s answer to Noscript, no exists.

I am also using Google Mail Checker Plus, which is mentioned upthread but has been improved considerably, as well as:
[ul]
[li]Google Voice - wonderful app that pings/notifies when I get new voicemails. One click pops open a dropdown that lets me read, play, and organize my voicemails and text messages.
[/li][li]Weather Underground - simple weather icon that gives conditions and temperature. Clicking displays a dropdown with more forecast info. I like this one because I like Wunderground, but there is also an impressive accuweather extension
[/li][li]Session Buddy - a sleek, simple session management extension that allows for saving and restoring tab sessions with minimal hassle.
[/li][li]Noteanywhere - sticky notes on web pages!
[/li][li]TooManyTabs - with the click of a button, it displays a window with thumbnails for every tab. Also has functionality for searching, suspending, and organizing tabs. Essential if your browsing gets away from you.
[/li][/ul]

I only use 3 extentions:
RSS Subscription Extension for easy subscribing.
Send using Gmail so that clicking mailto links doesn’t lamely try to open Outlook or Outlook Express.
Chromed Bird for Twitter.

The Camelizer extension is great if you shop at Amazon – click an icon in the URL bar to get a graph of the price history of the item you’re looking at, so you know whether it’s a good price or unusually high. It’s sort of amazing how volatile Amazon’s prices are.

All I use is:

LastPass
Xmarks
AdBlock Plus
AddThis

I use:

ABP
Flashblock
LastPass
Springpad
Google Voice

Anyone know a extension to capture flash video for downloads? On Firefox I use Downloadhelper.

Chromed Bird - a twitter extension that has the option of displaying little timed popups in the corner of the screen when I receive a new tweet. It’s changed how I use twitter, in that I can keep up to date with a lot more people now.

I like Flashblock and Widgetblock cuts out all the annoying Facebook crap all over the web.

Feedly (which makes a nicely organized/navigable site of your google reader rss feeds)
Evernote (useless if you don’t use Evernote, though if you don’t you might want to look into it)
ToodleChrome (easy access to my to-do lists)
Read it later (for stuff I want to read at some point, like later)
Turn off the lights (fades the surrounding page to black when playing a video)
WidgetBlock (it blocks widgets)
Adblock (no idea what this does)

The aptly named Simple Gmail Checker was the final piece that let me move from FF. It checks multiple Gmail and Google Apps accounts and notifies you via a little button on the menu bar as well as optional system tray popups or sound notifications. I love that extension.