Best DS games?

Matt, Angie… you guys rock.

–Dave

STUPID QUESTIONS:
Do Japanese games work without modification on a US DS?
If not, is the cheerleading game ever coming out here? Haha, but seriously, is it?

Japanese DS games work fine on a US DS. I bought Mr. Driller as an import because they tore out the best part of the game when they released it here.

Highly doubtful on number two.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-15-ouendan-70-q2z.html

Before you ask, Play Asia are very good for imports. :)

–Dave

Another vote for Ouendan! Gameplay video below.

http://user.chollian.net/~s00klove1/icsUpload/free/ning.wmv

P.S. Another gameplay video with better audio, showing the same stage.

http://myweb.hinet.net/home5/yujinfa2003/ouen_last.wmv

Just ordered mine from lik-sang.

Kirby: CC is good, but IMO not great. I’d say the same for Meteos. Obviously, YMMV. :)

That game is in-fricking-sane. I’m tempted, and I don’t import ever.

Thanks for the info, I’m looking forward to trying Ouendan! when it’s released in the US. Any idea what the translated name will be on release?

Yeah any word on this
I might have to import it if its not released. Thats just too hot.

Screw it I am gonna order this tomorrow.

I think I would break my DS if I tried to play that. But try I will! If it comes to the US.

Okay, since it’s come up in several threads now, I gotta ask: what is it with you and the GAF? Is there some sort of secret area that I’m missing where they stash all the posts that are worth reading, because after browsing some threads there this evening (following your link), I’m not seeing the attraction. Half of the threads I saw there make even the worst Qt3 zombie threads seem tame by comparison. Does one need to suffer some sort of head injury to understand the allure?

It’s just an entirely different environment than here. Hell, just compare Doug Erickson’s posting style here versus on GAF- almost completely different.

For the $5-10 it’ll cost you, Sprung isn’t bad at all.

[quote=“Kevin_Grey”]

It’s just an entirely different environment than here. Hell, just compare Doug Erickson’s posting style here versus on GAF- almost completely different.[/quote]

Yup. GAF is about fun and silliness and stupidity and oh, yeah, many people there knows as much as you do but will relate it in an entirely different way. It actually reminds me of the old Diehard GameFan magazine which a lot of people there were fans of (and were writers for too in some cases) because it’s filled with true videogame enthusiasts.

It’s videogame focused and not all stuffed shirt, PC game, smoking jacket and monocle like this place. I love Qt3. It’s my favorite place to read about games, but the GAF is probably even with it now because GAF is so much fun to read. I like to point and laugh at the dum dums and I like to read all the news about games there, first. Because whether you know it or not, most of what gets posted here was probably posted at GAF like a week ago by someone who knew it a few weeks before that.

Traitor.

I agree that the GAF most notable ability is the uncovering of new information; the folks at GAF will post about some announcement, new screenshot, new sales data, days, if not weeks before everybody else does. Their most useful trait is the access to imports; you can really get a feel of what is coming down the line in Japan and find some gems (the male cheerleading game) that would otherwise be passed up.

The problem with the GAF is that while it is rich with unfiltered, unprocessed valuable data, it is surrounded by the most bile-covered tripe I’ve read. Meaningful discussions are exceptionally rare; a useful and interesting post is followed by smilies, “old!”, or someone barfing some hallow rhetoric about their most loved/hated system/game/developer/meme. It is easier to find civil discussion on a GameFaqs message board.

-Scott-

Fair enough. It reminds me a lot of the Usenet game groups of old… and of why I eventually stopped reading them. As someone once said of those: it’s like panning for gold in a cesspool: there’s goof stuff there, but who wants to wade through all that crap to find it? If I have to put on a monocle to have an adult conversation, then break out the monocle polish, baby!

I like Nanostray quite a bit, I’ve played through it 3 times and I’m not sick of it yet. I do love that type of game though.

Other favorites are Kirby, Meteos, and Bomberman.

While the game looks very cool, I feel compelled to point out that those are, indeed, not a squad of crack male cheerleaders. I don’t know if this means that the game isn’t the same one, that in Japan, men have breasts, or that Cathcart has his own inner demons to work out.

I’m going with the latter, but really only because now I feel a strong need to own a DS and import this game. I’m a sucker for cool rhythm games. (Hell, I’m a sucker for not cool rhythm games too.)

Hey in that game are there other more awesome songs or what?

Since that song was in Full Metal Alchemist, I’m sold based on that alone.