Best Game Credits Ever?

Yeah, that’s SWIV.

I know that that’s SWIV but is SWIV the game that Beefeater was talking about?

Yes. Obviously the pics linked to were SWIV ;-) It ends with a screen of text about how the army’s been disbanded and your severance pay is on the way.

I believe that stood for ‘My Incredible Superhero Team’. Man, this must have been at least a decade ago - when I read about it I was drooling at the prospect of playing such a beast, but it fell through.

Damn - I can’t remember the name of the magazine that I read that in…

If this was a Bullfrog-developed, superhero-themed, game that used an evolution of the Magic Carpet engine, then I remember reading about it under the name of ‘The Indestructibles’. I still really, really want that game.

While we’re on the topic of Bullfrog and Syndicate, can I ask if anyone here actually finished American Revolt? Never have I so quickly abandoned a game out of frustration.

I’m guessing this wasn’t New World Computing’s ‘Nuclear War’, which was very winnable. I always loved seeing a smiling Jimi Farmer clamber out of his bunker and emerge onto a ruined cityscape.

While we’re on the topic of Bullfrog and Syndicate, can I ask if anyone here actually finished American Revolt? Never have I so quickly abandoned a game out of frustration.

I’m not sure its designers ever finished it…

I beat a few of the levels, but that was it. The first level took longer than much of Syndicate proper. It was like a practical joke with a price-tag.

I believe that stood for ‘My Incredible Superhero Team’.

I don’t think that was Bullfrog, but there were a few superhero projects that never saw the light of day. As Enduro said, Bullfrog’s was The Indestructables. Microprose also had one called… er… Guardians: Agents of Justice, I think. As I remember, that one was a complete mess, deservedly canned.

I know answering yourself is bad form, but there’s something at Moby Games about this…

That rules.

I dimly remember Magic Carpet having something similar - you couldn’t finish the last level because of a bug, left in either because the testers couldn’t be bothered to play that far, or because it was assumed nobody else would and it therefore didn’t matter. Which one depends on who you ask.

Of course, more logical would be to trim the levels you never think they’ll reach…

M.I.S.T. became The Indestructibles later on. They are, indeed, one and the same. The earliest previews used the M.I.S.T. moniker. I think the first preview I read was in a PC Gamer issue that had a frog in a suit on the cover, pulling open his shirt like he was Superman or something.

… creepy.

RichardC: I’m glad it wasn’t just me. You know you’re in trouble when your squad’s miniguns -the weapons that defined the series- have the effect of gently pushing against oncoming waves of the enemy. Most of my memories of American Revolt involve finding a place to hide while I tried to maximize casualties with airstrikes. This was only a mildly successful strategy.

nijimeijer: Some of those early PC Gamer (US) covers were exceedingly ugly. I can still see that garish, badly-drawn arm holding a hammer for the original Quake preview. However, the cover with the two writers wearing VR goggles was hilarious.

Egads, I still remember that, too. I also remember their “Windows 95!” cover. Hideous.

Of course, I also remember how the issues steadily got bigger and bigger until some ridiculous holiday issue that was almost as thick as classic Computer Shopper magazines, with about 400 pages. After that, they’ve dwindled, until nowadays I think they’re lucky to crack 100 pages.

“Privateer” had an inovative and humorous way of presenting the credits.

Add my vote for star Control II. I still remember all those hilarious music themes.

Not exactly credits, Questron (C-64) still holds my title for best game ending. I actually played the game (Ultima like RPG) twice, just to experience the ending a second time!!! Sadly, no one has it on youtube.

Yes, good call – all those Ultima clones, like Legacy of the Ancients and the Questrons (same developer) had pretty solid endings.

The tribute parade? That was pretty good.

For whatever reason, this thread became a news item.

http://www.gametab.com/news/1056694/

what’s really sad is I still like the flickering candle at the end of Fantasy General…

While I agree with the general acclaim for SC2’s credits, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Sam & Max Hit the Road. They saved a whole extra minigame for the credit sequence!