Best Game Music 2003

I’d like to nominate Armed and Dangerous.

KOTOR is also pretty stunning for how well the original compositions mesh with the existing John Williams themes. In fact I’d go so far as to say that the music on KOTOR surpasses Williams’ own work for the prequels.

Tough to beat the melodic and beautiful celtic pipes and strings of A&D though. Totally unexpected and utterly entrancing.

I’ll second that.

KOTOR is also pretty stunning for how well the original compositions mesh with the existing John Williams themes. In fact I’d go so far as to say that the music on KOTOR surpasses Williams’ own work for the prequels.

I love KOTOR’s music but wouldn’t say its better than Williams work in the prequels. I would say the music in Episode 1&2 is about the only non-controversial element in them. Duel of the Fates alone is head and shoulders above anything in KOTOR.

Most memorable gaming music this year:

KOTOR
NWN SoU/HoU
Call of Duty (Best thing about the game)
Divine Divinity (Yes I know it was released last year but I played it this fall. It made me think they got Ennio Morricone to compose the score)

Madden 2004… I hate the music they’re using this year but I think they deserve a nomination for not using Andrew W.K. this year.

If soundtracks as opposed to score count, I’d definitely include both SSX3 and FIFA 2004.

GTA: Vice City was pretty good.

Yes, but it came out last year.

Yes, but it came out last year.[/quote]

Grabbing my GTA:VC cds: (c) 2003 Rockstar games.

I think it came out last year on the ps2 and this year for the pc.

Hmmm, I’m gonna have to go back and listen to my games to make the call on this one. I know that I love the music from AoW:SM, but that’s just soundtracks. It’s obviously much better when the music adapts to the action on screen. Oh, while we’re on the topic of game music, did anyone else here have Blade Runner flashbacks when listening to the music for the moathouse in ToEE?

I hate to sound like a really annoying broken record that for some reason won’t come off your turntable, but you can’t really vote for best game music if you haven’t heard the music in Dominions 2. That is truly the best game music of 2003.

And yet you didn’t like my Horror Harmonica Blues track. Hm.

I like the individual tracks, but the fact that there’s only three of them (two main map and one battle…unless you count the “metal” track) knocks it out of the running for best game music for me. You eventually turn it off because you’re sick of listening to the same thing over and over. But it’s good while it lasts, no doubt.

No, I don’t. Who does this? You? You have problems, then.

KOTORs music was total blah, the guy who did the music for that (And NWN, and Icewind Dale, and Morrowind), it all sounds exactly the same. It didn’t sound like starwars, it sounded like everything else he’s done. Bleh.

Zone of the Enders 2 had a pretty good soundtrack. I’m digging Deus Ex 2’s soundtrack a lot, and Gothic 2 also had a well done soundtrack.

I agree with most of yours. These are my favorites that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Crimson Skies
Space Channel 5 Special Edition
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Amplitude (kinda hit or miss, but at the very least most of these songs were fun to play)

In this post I represent the Mushroom Man Guild.

I’m quite happy to see so many high quality soundtracks these days. The fact that live orchestra is becoming a standard shows that more money and time is being allocated for music. Not saying that you have to have an orchestra to have a good soundtrack, just that it shows a trend that I am whole heartedly behind. It’s one of the issues that we at GANG (www.audiogang.org) have being working for. The next step is to have more game soundtracks available for sale.

Yeah, it was fitting. However the majority was licensed music and even though credit should be given for making good choices licensed music shouls not carry the same weight as music made for a game.

It’s because it’s well known that you have no musical taste :P

Except the Total Annihilation soundtrack, at least. You can’t say that’s not good.

Except the Total Annihilation soundtrack, at least. You can’t say that’s not good.[/quote]
Oh, I bet he can.

Except the Total Annihilation soundtrack, at least. You can’t say that’s not good.[/quote]

I never said his stuff wasn’t good, I said it all sounds the same. And I never played T:A, I don’t particularly enjoy RTS games.