Best Games of 2021 thread

Play Pawnbarian Vinny, then you will have another one to add to your list.

Thanks, I hadn’t heard of that one and it definitely looks up my alley. I’m also discovering that more of my wishlist than I thought came from this year: Astronarch, Room to Grow, Battlesector etc. So, less a bad year for games of interest and more just “best of” lists from folks with very different taste than I, which is not an unusual thing. Now, I just need time to play this stuff…

While I’m at it, has anyone played that Hot Wheels racing game that came out this year?

OK, having played a bit I see that @Chappers is completely right (and also a lovely human being). I hereby declare any list of best games that doesn’t include Pawnbarian null and void.

Another one with some unexpected games on the list.

Unpacking came literally when i was moving with boxes everywhere. I’ll have to try it out whenever i actually move and get unpacked in a more permanent way (garage is still full of boxes!).

There’s a demo of this and I was surprised at how polished it was. Do you get any more special attacks aside from the first 4?

A big part of my total lack of interest in that game is driven by the sheer amount of packing/unpacking in my present and near future. Hard to justify playing a game about it when I should be doing it in real life.

No, not that I can recall. You can get equippable “relics”, that are modifiers that buff basic abilities slightly, and IIRC, there’s a single alternate ability for your “shadow clone” parry-timing, but generally the combat is largely unchanged from the beginning to the end. The upgrades are almost entirely more damage, stamina, and healing pouches.

The general combat gets a little repetitive after a while, although it feels good enough and expressive enough that it never becomes fully tedious. The bosses are interesting challenges and variations on the core combat, but some of the boss attack hitboxes are just a bit wonky and aren’t super well communicated, enough to be frustrating until you’ve done a number of attempts on them.

Good video.

I’ve played a little further and, yeah, there’s a kind of parry skill you get in the second chapter, and the ability to wall climb. There’s also been new enemies showing up, which means some new weapons to steal. Oh, and a customizable charm system similar to Hollow Knight.

A couple more pickups for Returnal

I do like returnal a lot even if I’m very bad at it. GOTY? Not sure.

It’s definitely mine, and I played most of the other contenders.

I’m not good at it, but it’s high on my list as well. It is the best feeling shooter I’ve ever played.

What i like though is that when you get past certain parts it opens up shortcuts so you don’t have to play through from the beginning each time. I just got to the second boss, enjoying the gunplay, agree that it feels really chunky. The controller helps further emphasize this with the feedback it provides.

I think this is the most important list.

Something a little different.

Be warned that Jonathan Holmes is wrong about a lot of things!

For the record, I also like the Star Wars prequels, hate Space Jam , and think that the N64 is Nintendo’s worst console by a country mile.

Every time I open one of these lists to see how seriously I should take it:

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 10.35.40 AM