Best Star Trek Series

Laughs

Well done sir. That’s just really good.

Fat, drunk and watching Voyager is no way to go through life, son.

Hey, who you callin’ fat???

Well, you can count me as one. I was a die-hard fan of TNG when it was on as a kid, and I also liked DS9 when it was on when I was in high school. However, I never saw the last two or three seasons of DS9 until a year or so ago. I’m pretty sure I voted in that poll before my rewatch. I’ve also rewatched most of TNG, and it doesn’t hold up that well. Its high points are really high (Darmok), but I think it had much more uneven writing than DS9.

I do still hold up Picard as the best captain, though. He is the shining ideal of Starfleet.

Yeah, Picard is definitely the best captain, but I think that is in large part due to the fact that Patrick Stewart is such a great actor. I think the strength of DS9 is less in the iconic characters, and more in some very solid storytelling. It’s a much more cohesive tale than TNG ever was.

So now I have to ask about Enterprise. Does that get better like DS9 did, or is it just meh?

Not Robert Beltran - he actually thought Star Trek was crap:

I haven’t seen Enterprise. I tried watching it, but after having been on Voyager for 7 years, I’m just not interested. I’m not interested in the Star Trek movies either. I’ve already done that, I know what it’s about. I know that there is a certain amount of shakes and bombings and the shields are gonna go down to 20 % , the warp core’s gonna bust and some aliens are gonna try to kill everybody and they’ll make it through. So what’s to see? I already know that. That’s for the fans, I’m not a fan.

I gave up after Season 1. Then I came back briefly for Season … 3, I think it was, where they had a whole season arc start. But even though they went to this new area of space, they started having individual episodes again with nothing to do with the overall arc, and I’m afraid I lost interest again.

It’s the only Trek show I haven’t seen all the way through, but I just get so bored with it. At least with Voyager I finally found a great way to watch it: In out of order Re-runs. When you watch that show out of order, you discover the greatest asset of having no consequences and no story arcs in a show like Voyager: you can watch any episode, and feel right at home.

If you do end up slogging your way through Enterprise, I’d be curious to know if it’s worth it for Season 3. I was mildly intrigued by that season long story idea.

Yeah…so far I am pretty unimpressed with Enterprise. I might make it through though, given that I am not always super picky about what I watch while I paint Warmachine models. (That’s how I made it through the first couple seasons of DS9)

As someone who watched every episode of Enterprise, against my better judgment: I thought the last season was finally getting really good. But the series finale was one of the most awful send offs I can possibly imagine. I suggest watching through the penultimate episode, then ripping the DVD out of the player and putting it away. If you like, you can tell yourself, “the Federation eventually happened, and everybody lived happily ever after.” *

• not completely true

Wait! What!? The federation forms? Thanks for the Spoilarz you big meanie.

Seriously though, is it me or is the opening theme song for Enterprise reaching new heights in crappolla?

Oh it’s not just you, but if you have the modicum of taste required to notice that, how did you manage to watch so much Voyager?

I did. I think I made my argument once before in this thread.

I like Voyager dammit! Although I do admit that my voting was based on watching the episodes scattershot in college. Watching them is sequence via Netflix is a bit…lackluster. I can see why faithful TV watchers would be disappointed, but as one-offs Voyager is pretty fun to watch.

I had to go back and look at your opinion again. But after reading it, I’m just going to say that I think DennyA was right:

I’M NOT WEIRD!!! I’m eclectic and discerning.

The only good thing about Enterprise’s theme song is it seemed to go by sorta quickly. DS9’s and Voyager’s theme songs seemed interminable. I always fast-forwarded through them.

Oh god, that theme. I honestly thought I was mistakenly watching an episode of full house or something the first time I heard the theme from enterprise. What in the hell were they thinking when they hired a Rick Springfield impersonator from the county fair to write and sing that abomination?

There are at least two episodes of Enterprise worth watching: The “In a Mirror Darkly” two-parter from the end of Season 3. Set entirely in the Mirror universe, with a callback to Tholian Web as well. If you liked Mirror, Mirror, you’ll probably enjoy this.

Since it’s the Mirror universe characters, though, you’ll want to acquaint yourselves with the regular characters first to get the most out of it. I suggest the preceding episode, Bound. I really don’t remember much about it, but it focuses on three Orion women, so it can’t be all bad.

I didn’t mind Enterprise so much. I thought that Bakula make a decent Kirk substitute, and his crew was all right, if not particularly inspired.

If you could get past the blatant frat-boy stuff like the idea that after every mission they had to rub themselves down with decontamination oil - but only if it was a mixed-gender mission - then there were some reasonable stories in there. The 9/11 analogy season was decent with some bland-but-reasonable things to say about the nature of terrorism and foreign adventurism.

I also liked what they did with some of the “minor” Trek races like the Andorians (mostly thanks to Combs) and the Orions. I especially enjoyed the twist they had on the “Orion Slave Girl” meme. It was also cool that the crew was not coming to every new encounter in a position of strength, not having the US – er, I mean Federation – might at their backs like Picard did.

So yeah, Enterprise was in no danger of knocking DS9, TOS, of TNG out of the top slots, but it wasn’t as bad as many remember, and I personally rank it higher than Voyager. The opening credits were unforgivably awful, however.

I’m more curious why you’re referring to it in the present tense.