Best tank movie

not just a movie with a tank, but a movie that puts the camera inside a tank alongside its crew. which did you like best? did i miss any?

sahara - humphrey bogart in an m3 grant with his crew, picks up various stragglers while trying to find water and friendly lines. there was a remake but i never saw it.

tank girl - lori petty as the punk comic book character. interestingly, water is also something valuable. i totally forgot almost everything about this movie.

the beast - jason patric is an intellectual in afghanistan manning a t-55 with a fanatical commander. awesome movie with a lot of great lines.

lebanon - israeli crew in a tank, in some war. got the netflix dvd with me now, going to watch eventually.

tank - james garner goes aginst a corrupt lawman in a sherman tank.

best defense - eddie murphy is in a few scenes with a malfunctioning prototype pos tank.

honorary mention:
that episode of space and beyond - they’re on a planet with a tank (i think they used an ifv). i saw like the last five minutes of it. also, not a movie.

Has there ever been a movie about the battle of Kursk? That would be pretty epic.

Tank, purely for Jenilee Harrison not wearing a bra through any of her scenes in the movie.

Episode was called “Pearly” and had Adam Goldberg as a guest star!

Voted Tank Girl. Although the best tank movie is Kelly’s Heroes. Spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-RP8-UGvx4&feature=fvst

The episode of Six Million Dollar Man where he fights some sort of squat alien tank thing. I remember being thrilled by that as a kid. Surely it holds up, right?

-Tom

Lebanon has the sexiest story told within a tank.

I didn’t enjoy all of the rest of it, but I always felt like a movie structured primarily on the Desert Storm tank warfare flashbacks from Courage Under Fire would have been pretty good.

The Beast and Lebanon are both worth watching.

The worst tank movie by far is The Forgotten (2003). It’s supposed to be set in Korea but it’s abundantly clear they’re just driving around in some field in Pennsylvania. The acting is very bad, the script inane and the Korean war is represented by one (1) tank and crew.

When these military geniuses suspect the enemy is near, what do they do? They drive to the top of a barren hill to take a look, silhouetting themselves against the horizon for all to see. Everything else in the movie displays the same level of competence. Well, maybe the catering was tolerable.

Of course it does! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4st0a0gWp0

I had the toy of that Venus probe, the claws worked & everything.

Telly Savalas in Battle of the Bulge for the allied side, and Robert Shaw as his usual icy Nazi for the German side.

Chicolini: I wouldn’t go out there unless I had one of those big iron things that go up and down. What do you call those things?
Firefly: Tanks.
Chicolini: You’re welcome.

Speaking of Telly Savalas, can we count Kelly’s Heroes? It’s got the Donald Sutherland modified Shermans, but also the surviving Tiger crew.

“No smoke. The fuel system is rotten. We have gasoline all over the place.”

Speaking of Kelly’s Heroes, can we read post#5 in this thread?

But yeah, I took the Shit! Bonerz-option because Kelly’s Heroes was left out (Tank is a fine second, though)

“You don’t want in this thing, you don’t get in this thing. I cut you out of everything. I don’t need you. Sixty feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!”

Sweet jebus, that may be the most ridiculous ten minutes I’ve ever seen. I watched that as a kid and didn’t realize it was horrible? What the hell was wrong with me?

Also, that was the six million dollar man? Really? Lee Majors moves – and dresses – like a total doofus. And what’s up with the facial hair? I didn’t remember the six million dollar man having a pedostache?

-Tom

The best tank movie happens to be a tv series called Four Tankists and a Dog.

Voted Tank. James Garner and C. Thomas Howell plus 1984-vintage Jenilee Harrison? That’s a no-brainer.

I’d have voted for “Pearly” if it counted. Instead I went for Best Defense, if only because it was the most awesome use for Capsela ever. A toy I owned could actually be used to solve heat problems in a state of the art military vehicle? Incredible!

You should watch part 2 as well. Steve Austin’s “fish out of water” inductive leap is brilliant. And that was from his mind, which wasn’t bionic at all! I think there’s a lesson in there for all of us.

“Oh no. His arm gave out.”

Tron had shots inside the light-tank with the crew.

Not that it was good, you know, just…it was there.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade