Best thing to have on French Fries

This is fair. Truffle fries are pretty awesome.

My wife likes dipping fries in a shake. I find the concept gross.

Strange. At the least, you should get a choice of salt or vinegar.

Sauces are definitely a lot more optional here and don’t always seem to be offered by default. But I generally haven’t had a problem getting them if I ask for them myself.

That said, take the Eurostar and cross over to Brussels if you want the “real thing”. You won’t be offered vinegar there though. We think that’s weird. :)

100% this. Fatburger chili cheese fries are the best. All meat chili, cheddar cheese and great steak fries for scooping.

I’m from Utah, so fry sauce is a must.

A local place does minced garlic and feta cheese on their fries, it’s excellent.

Weirdest thing in the thread so far.

Or potato chips or a hamburger with a bun.

Fries fries: rosemary and salt - alternatively barbecue sauce, or simply the jus of whatever meat you’re eating them with.
Chips: salt and vinegar

Gravy is a northern thing, though maybe some London places would offer it if asked.

How is this even possible?
I mean, I get not eating fast food from chains like McD, Burger King, etc. That stuff is crap.
But then you just make it yourself and have the best burgers and fries possible.

I vote for mayonnaise, or alternatively for mayonnaise, something that translates best into ‘peanut sauce’ and onions, with optional ketchup. The latter is called ‘patatje oorlog (war fries)’ in the Netherlands, and it’s great!

afbeelding

This thread does get me concerned somewhat though: can you get mayo on your fries in Florida?

Chicken salt

Gravy in the absence of chicken salt

I tried in a few places when I first moved down. They were all incredibly confused and didn’t seem to understand the concept of gravy, let alone gravy on chips. (But then they also think flaky pastry is what pies should be topped with, so I suspect they’re all demented)

The Chinese/chippy had it on the menu, but it was basically the hoisin sauce watered down.

In Scotland you have special “chip sauce”, I have no idea what it is but every Scottish people I know always laments a lack of it.

Great fries: no sauce.

If I do a sauce/condiment on fries then salsa/hot sauce is my top.

At Arby’s, I second the horsey sauce.

In a pinch, I prefer mustard over ketchup. I do not like mayo on anything. period.

Ketchup and/or vinegar. But if they are home made, with a sprinkle of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. Yum.

Hmmm that’s an interesting combo.

This thread caused me to buy Kewpie Mayo. I haven’t had fries yet but I used some on my chicken tonight and it was great.

For anyone that isn’t familiar with this (caveats: I work for Savory and this May be US only):

https://www.amazon.com/Savory-Spice-Chook-Chicken-Salt/dp/B07JN5W8VB

Hello fellow iPhone user who has an annoyingly obtuse spellcheck.

Seriously, why the hell does it think May should be capitalized EVERY GODS DAMNED TIME

Edit: case in point. It changed it to capitals, AFTER I TYPED ANOTHER 7 BLOODY WORDS

What is a chicken chicharone?

For clarification, I’m on a tablet, not a phone 🤪

@jpinard chicharrones are pork rinds…so these are pork rinds that are somehow made with chicken, which makes absolutely no sense. Uh…let’s go with fried chicken skin. It’s Chook full of chicken!