Best Video Game Gun

Kotaku reposted this today

And went on a love-fest about the M1 Garand. I like that gun, but it isn’t even my favorite WWII rifle. That would have to be the Stg-44.

Particularly, my WWII game of choice was Day of Defeat, and my favorite gun ever was the Kar98k in that game.

My current modern fave has to be the AWP in CS:GO So deadly.

We don’t have to keep this to real guns, but what are some of your favorite firearms in gaming history?

Ha ha, what? Haven’t they ever heard of a little gun called the Lancer from Gears of War? It’s a machine gun with a frickin’ chainsaw attached to it. Boom, checkmate.

13/10 That is a good gun.

Just be suuuuuuper careful when reaching for the front grip.

Duke Nuke 'Em Shrink Ray Gun. Or the Doom 2 Double Barrel Shotgun.

Perhaps they just saw Free Fire.

You know, I always assumed the power switch for the chainsaw was up along the barrel, such that you had to have your hand in the right position to even activate it. Otherwise yeah, probably a lot of amputees in the Gears army.

For fun… Drunk Missiles. Rise of the Triad.

For destruction… the BFG.

For utility… the Quake rocket launcher.

The M1 Garand is great though. ping

Gears’ chainsaw gun was definitely a brilliant design.

Probably the most used gun in all shooters for me would be the M16, which was the go-to gun for most COD variants.

Gravity gun from Half-Life deserves credit for being awesome.

And of course Portal’s portal gun, because holy shit when that game came out it was amazing.

Oh, Perfect Dark’s laptop gun was also cool.

The Flak Cannon from Unreal Tournament is my personal favorite.

I do also love the Painkiller from the game of the same name.

Oh, and the smart pistol from Titanfall 2.

This. It’s simple, deadly, and has a secondary use as a pogo stick.

Still this. Hasn’t changed, probably never will.

Quake 3 Railgun is up there for me too.

Flak Cannon - UT
Instagib Gun - UT

Quake 2 Railgun, no question. Elegant and devastating.

Unreal’s 8-Ball gun was the first gun I ever got excited about in a video game. Then I discovered the UT Flak Cannon and fell in love all over again. I don’t recall getting particularly worked up over specific guns in any other games.