Bethesda finally let the other shoe drop on paid mods at E3 2017

This is live now.

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

How do I redeem my free 100 Creation Credits?

Enjoy your complimentary 100 Creation Credits by logging into the
Creation Club Store in Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition. On Steam and Xbox One, your free credits are shared between Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition. On PSN, you will find 100 Creation Credits to spend in each game, since credits are not transferable on that platform. Creation Club for Skyrim Special Edition is expected in September

Hey! Whaddya know? Creation Club stuff is already turning out to be a bum deal for buyers on some items.

Fallout 4 Hellfire Armor is 500 credits or about $5. (Note that like all freemium funny money schemes, there is a floor on the minimum credit purchase. In this case, the minimum credit purchase is 750 credits for $7.99.)

There is a free mod version of Hellfire Armor on Nexus and Bethesda’s network already.

I hope this whole, thing is a spectacular failure. I never liked DLC (I miss the days of full blown expansions), and I do not want the idea of mini-dlcs to take hold.

I also try a lot of mods, but do not keep using a lot of them very long.

Is that the exact same armor? If so, great to see they were extra-careful about curation on day one. Don’t want to invite horse armor type criticism again, after all.

It’s not exactly the same, but it is based on the same Hellfire Armor from Fallout 3.

It seems like the free mod version is better.

Being free doesn’t hurt, of course. But I agree.

As long as it isn’t the exact same armor it’s basically OK. I mean, it’s obviously a ripoff in a horse armor type sense, but it’s not actually stolen.

Technically there’s nothing wrong here. Even from a reusing assets standpoint, since the armor comes from Bethesda’s own Fallout 3, they certainly have the right to make it again for Fallout 4.

The pricing is pretty clearly nuts. $5 for one power armor mod is crazy, but I guess if people buy it…

Yep it’s horse armor all over again. Same company, same mistake, different decade.

Thank God gamers spoke out and stopped the DLC and Microtransaction onslaught during the horse armor days.

A lot of the uproar wasn’t that DLC is inherently anti-consumer but that the horse armor was a terrible value for its price. That’s the lesson Bethesda failed to learn 10 years ago.

Possibly because it doesn’t matter as long as people buy it. And cosmetic DLC has been extremely successful at much worse prices than horse armor ever was.

It has seen some success in online games, where you can show off your kewl bugie bling to your baes. On fleek.

Anyway, not so much in huge single-player RPGs.

Another 10 years of suckers acquiring credit cards.

You wouldn’t think so. And yet…

What we really need is a mod loot box that you can buy for 251 credits.

… I just … yeah, that’s pretty much the epitome of where I fear this will lead.

Why people call them paid mods and not “indie DLC”? It seems to me the indie dlc title is more accurate.

This is games industry upper management potential right here.

Indie DLC sounds like DLC for an indie game to me, not, well, paid mods for a AAA studio game.