Better Call Saul

His dealing with Howard was because he thinks there is nothing wrong with himself hence he thinks Howard betrayed him and the firm he created. Do you think he spoke to Jimmy the way he did because he was just nasty or he knew it was the end for him and wanted Jimmy to move on.

Chuck is obviously very intelligent and manipulative but there might still be a good heart in there somewhere.

I personally think it’s difficult to break a person down into binary good/bad designations. Well, in real life anyway, easier with TV characters of course. That said, Chuck is not someone I would want in my life.

I think Chuck and Jimmy are about equal on the morality scales, they just behave very differently. They’re both often well intentioned, and just as often blindly self-centered. They both managed to evoke both sympathy and anger from me.

Question about the source of the power draw in Chuck’s house:

[Spoiler]When Saul sent Mike to Chuck’s house early in the season under the guise of a “repair man,” didn’t Mike plant a bug attached to the house’s power? So, in a sense, Saul’s actions (here, and elsewhere, of course) were an inadvertant but direct factor in Chuck’s latest breakdown and subsequent suicide attempt?

I doubt Saul will ever have any idea the role he played here, but it is a fine demonstration of the damage rippling outward from his continued disregard for rules and consequence, similar to Walt’s plane crash in BB.[/spoiler]

Six is the norm for seasons in the UK, but it can go shorter (eg 3 for long episode shows like Sherlock) or longer (13 or 12 for New Who).

Yes, that’s my assumption too.

You guys are smarter than me, didn’t think of that. It makes it even more messed up.

I don’t recall Mike doing that, just that he was taking pictures and stole some papers. The house after all had no power at the time, and it was something Chuck had only recently turned back on.

This could be 100% right. I have no way of rewatching the episode, and details are hazy. I spent a good portion of tonight’s episode trying to recollect if the two situations were connected.

I figured it was just the power meter itself that consumed electricity. I don’t remember Mike planting a bug in the house, and even if he did. It would be hooked to the house electrical system that’s way too complicated. That’s why we have batteries.

Jimmy definitely contributed to the whole thing in a way that I doubt he anticipated, though - his stunt with the insurance agent started the ball rolling on Chuck’s exit from HHM. I would bet Jimmy just thought he’d be racking up Chuck’s premiums, not the whole firm or that they’d ask him to retire over it. (Not that he’d even know Chuck was out.)

You can easily argue Chuck kicked it all off though by not letting Kim have Mesa Verde when she struck out on her own, or even back to him refusing to hire Jimmy at HHM.

Sure, but that’s not really relevant to what I’m saying, which is that Jimmy’s act of spite contributed to Chuck’s downfall in a way that I doubt Jimmy anticipated or desired. And I am pretty sure that is a deliberate theme of his character arc, also witnessed with his interactions with the Sandpiper residents in this episode, and plenty of times previously: he doesn’t correctly anticipate the consequences of his actions and it rebounds not only on him but on others.

Chuck’s actions were frequently driven by spite.

I’m making a point about Jimmy and his character. I have no idea why you’re responding like I’m defending Chuck or blaming Jimmy for everything that’s happened on the show, because I’m not.

I didn’t find him spiteful. He was just holier than thou and self-righteously thought that he needed to rein Jimmy in, and to prevent larger problems keep him down. I think it can be argued he had the fair measure of Jimmy, given how often Jimmy did stupid things, even when he didn’t have to. But I also think he drove Jimmy back to the problem behaviour, causing the problem Chuck was trying to solve. In the long run, Chuck would have done better to accept Jimmy and let Jimmy burn his bridges.

I was kind of hoping this series would eventually end with Chuck tracking Jimmy down, at the donut shop, or whatever he works in, and either some retribution or reconciliation.

Not sure if spoilers are still needed, so

Chuck is likely dead, I guess Jimmy gets his millions? And loses them? Is that the lead in for next season?

Really, you think Jimmy would get anything?

There is no other family, right? It could go to charity I suppose.

That would be my assumption.