Better Call Saul

Right, but I kind of disagree in that I think there’s a certain type of chemistry, but it’s certainly not romantic chemistry. You could show someone the average Kim/Jimmy scene and tell that person she’s his younger and more successful sister. Nothing would seem amiss.

Yeah, that’s a great point. We know so much about Jimmy’s relationship with his brother, but so little about his relationship with the woman he loves. That feels so conspicuous to me when they’re onscreen together. I was kind of hoping this season might be about Kim in the way last season was about Chuck, going back and forth to lay the groundwork for their relationship, and then developing what happens to get Jimmy to the character he becomes for Breaking Bad.

And just to reiterate, I love both actors. I can’t take my eyes off Rhea Seehorn. She’s not very expressive, but she’s still captivating. I love watching her think.

-Tom

Plot twist! Then have Hector confess to being his father.

I burst out laughing when I saw his name was Kai. I just had a German engineer come over to assist on a project on machinery we purchase from his company in Germany and his name was Kai. Pretty good guy, but he seemed to have a similar personality to this dude.

I bet Kai turns out to do something very good for the cartel and was misjudged by Mike. The guy chose a stout over a lager, he has to be a good dude.

Bob’s age doesn’t help - it’s not as if he’s too old for her, but a mid-50s guy playing a mail room kid while she is playing a law student all just looks goofy. He also just seems somewhat asexual, like there couldn’t be lusty chemistry with anyone.

I did like their relationship in the first season, where the extent of their friendship was both gradually revealed and expanded. I like them as a couple now. Just doesn’t seem like they would be sexual partners.

I find that kind of charming in a earnest classical Hollywood kind of way, like a 41 year old Gary Cooper playing Sgt. York as a youth, but I can understand why it would put people off.

Binging to catch up. Don’t want to comb the thread yet (spoilers). Was there any discussion about the ending of Episode 1?

yes there was

It really does, doesn’t it? I almost wish they’d just gone ahead and cast younger actors.

-Tom

It seems goofier now than it did during Season 1. Possibly the four years that have passed aging the actors, though it was a little goofy then.

I really love this show, as my frequent posts to this thread probably indicate, but the big problem the show currently faces IMO is that I feel like the Mike/Gus/Nacho/Hector/Cousins stuff is soooo much more interesting than Kim having issues with her legal career and even Kim/Jimmy’s relationship.

Again, and I’m not being critical of the latter aspects, which I think are very well done - it’s just that the cartel stuff, and essentially anything with those characters, is fascinating --not just because it’s crime-related, but because those characters are among the greatest in TV history, and the writing is superlative.

Yeah I liked Jimmy stuff when Charles was around. Now that he is gone, Jimmy and Kim stuff is way less interesting. But the cartel stuff makes up for it. I like the word stuff.

Yeah, that’s a good point about Jimmy’s age. When Chuck was in most episodes, Jimmy’s age didn’t seem as big of an issue. I guess it was some kind of relative cognitive dissonance that worked for the show. The age difference was especially troublesome in the flashback this week. Jimmy just had a real old guy vibe.

I agree that there hasn’t been any sexual chemistry between Jimmy and Kim, but I’m not sure there ever was. Their relationship has always been about doing fairly sketchy shit, and it doesn’t look like it will survive into a more traditional thing. That’s more about Kim’s lack of interest in doing sketchy stuff anymore and maybe not wanting to get pulled into the crazy McGill family dynamic either.

What a terrific episode. The opening montage reminded me of the beautiful scene from UP! tracing the old couples history and love, except for it was just the opposite for Kim and Jimmy.

Great episode and agree on the montage.

So Hector deliberately knocked over the water because he liked the view? That’s all I could get out of that.

And Kai being indispensable won’t end well.

Gus now knows that Hector isn’t a vegetable so his plan is very similar to the coati that ate his fruit. The kind thing would have been to kill it but Gus captured it and kept the coati alive for some time. Gus is going to stop therapy he doesn’t want to let Hector regain the ability to speak. Hector alive and aware but only able to communicate by using a bell is the perfect punishment for Gus to get his revenge.

Gus will come and visit Hector and tell him about how is destroying Hector’s business and family and Hector is powerless to do anything to stop it.

I understand all that. I’m talking about what motivated Hector to knock over the water in the first place.

To see her big ass! He may be a invalid but he is not dead.

Yeah, and that’s what convinced Fring Hector was really “himself” again despite his condition.

That’s what I meant when I said he liked the view. I thought there might be more to it