Beyond Good & Evil 2 officially announced

It IS a commercial product.

Ancel has always been pretty intolerable when talking publicly about his creations.

I think he means artistic versus a purely commercial for-profit venture. IE, what he wants to make, not the Beyond Good and Evil 2010, 2011, etc.

Arise!

From their FB page:

We’re a bit busy prepping for E3. Time to call in some reinforcements. (Points if you remember this classic character!)

BG&E2: The F2P MMO. But the only free character is Pey’j, and there’s a total of 4 characters, each of which costs an additional $50 to unlock.

I’m seeing this as a Monkey’s Paw sort of situation - you just don’t wish for the dead to come back. It never works out.*

*except for X-Com.

In-engine footage.

(crossposted to Space Games, because seems thats what they are aiming here, a space exploration game)

No Jade and 🐖?

Ubisoft is pretty good about re-using technology to build further games. So I’m guessing if this prequel is a hit, then we might see the same technology used to build a sequel as well.

It is kind of a drag that had I not seen the words “Beyond Good and Evil 2” at the end of the trailer, I would have no idea that this game was associated with that universe. Talking animals and spaceships notwithstanding.

This whole announcement and presentation at E3 was baffling to me.

The trailer they showed during the press conference doesn’t look or feel like Beyond Good & Evil in any way. I don’t need BG&E to be “serious” and swear-y all over the place. I don’t need BG&E to be a huge open world. I just want a directed story with some cool dungeons to continue telling the story of Jade and Pey’j or other surrounding characters.

Then that “tech demo”…ugh. They’re just setting themselves up for failure. I just don’t understand it at all.

Theres another video, the E3 animated one, and the pig is present (I don’t remember it from the original game. Whats him a enemy or something?).

The video mentioned above:

The pig is the main character Jade’s adoptive uncle, and he’s not a disgusting piece of shit like the pig in that animated trailer. So I don’t know if it’s the same character they completely destroyed or if it’s a confusingly different character entirely.

This is a prequel set before Jade was born, but I very much doubt it’s the same character.

Is odd that they choose to make a prequel.

Maybe they believe Jade is too similar to other character, or will not work with modern players?

There was a teaser video from years back, with Pey’j and Jade stranded in the desert in a busted old car. Who knows if that had anything to do with anything at this point I guess.

This one from '08.

Holy crap, nearly 10 years ago. But yeah, that’s the one.

Idea for a bge quest: moral decision, make photos of captured civilians or stop it. Showing that type of journalist dilema.

I had forgotten about the flies. That’s a cool teaser. It’s a shame that game was put on hold. And then when they resumed working on a sequel, that project again was put on hold.

Here was the purported leaked footage from the next time that I’m talking about:

And this parkour footage: