Bioshock Infinite's infinite space, bounded in a nutshell

borderlands 2 was actually awesome, but you are still correct otherwise

A 5 out of 5.

He gave it a perfect score.

As Andrew said, caring so much about is extremely embarrassing. Extremely.

g4 gave this a perfect score, gameinformer gave it a 9.75, angry joe gave it a 9 besides, 5 out of 5 does not mean perfect, it means it is just really fricken awesome and doesnt have that many problems. if it does, they really dont effect the overall experiance

Why does everyone love this game so much?

I'm sorry, but I think a 3 out of 5 is more than justified. It's way more linear than the first, there's a regenerating Halo style shield that removes a lot of the challenge, Elizabeth ruins the rest by constantly throwing ammo and health your way, there's ugly models and jagged edges out the wazoo (PS3 version), generic weapons, and halfway through they drop all pretense of any political message for some time traveling alternate reality crap.

Let's not forget all of ol' Kenny's broken promises like how Elizabeth would change in her responses to you depending on how you interacted with the Songbird and the citizens, or how you would get to pick one of the factions to side with and control the downward spiral of Columbia.

the site still sucks nonetheless

If you came here from Metacritic and you're angry because this review doesn't conform, please note one thing - IGN and many of those other major review sites have and did have ads for Bioshock Infinite on their website.

They were LITERALLY paid by the publisher to review the game. LITERALLY.

lets wait for angry joe to review this then
ive also heard awesome things from my friends so im buying the game anyway

Wow... Please, in the name of all that is holy, stop posting on the net until you learn some English. It's going to take my eyes at least a week to recover from that short paragraph, if you can even call it that.

How it got SEVEN up votes worries me endlessly.

At least the Darkness 2 TRIED to change things up.

The only significant improvement Infinite offers is the rail system.

You fail at trolling.

A thoughtful review, Tom. I find the issue of whether or not there is a disconnect between the first-person perspective and the third person characterisation of Booker an interesting one. I know you don't think it works, but I'm not sure I entirely agree with you.

My problem with the Uncharted games is that I don't feel a connection to Nathan Drake, precisely because the gameplay estranges you from him; he's someone else, and you step in at certain times to control him, but his relationships with the other characters are entirely his own. They have nothing to do with the player. They function in a way they might in a film or a book. Which is fine, but then assessing how affecting they are compared to other media, they always seem to come up short to me. What games can potentially do that other media can't is to make those relationships feel like they belong to me.

The question of how to do this is a tricky one. Do you make the protagonist nothing more than the mechanics of interaction itself, like something like Skyrim, or do you offer the barebones of a character to facilitate an emotional connection without explicitly defining it, like in Infinite or something like Far Cry 3? When I'm looking after Elizabeth in this game, I feel like there's a lot of room for me to figure out how I feel about it, within the fairly loose constraints of "caring for Elizabeth" that the game sets up. It works for me, and the process of reconciliation of my own emotional responses with those of Booker's makes for something special, I think, and something unique to the medium.

Well, I've played this game. I for one really enjoy it. You know, without hating hating Tom for giving it 3 stars.

So it's ok for GoW Judgment to be a "remix" but not ok for Infinite to throw a sweet nod to the original in its opening sequence? The game is a master class on game design and I'm only halfway through. Nice hit-piece on their Metacritic score, Tom you nasty little troll you. If you really thought this game deserves three stars you are either the Armond White of game reviewers, or you did this deliberately for the hate clicks. And either way your review sucks.

No it is the same. 3÷5=.6
6÷10=.6

I voted it up. It is like spoken-word poetry.

Tom,

Why don't you play these games on PC? There have been several reviews that had notably bad ports on consoles, but very good PC versions.

Clearly the solution is for FPSes to show your character's face at the bottom of the screen, BJ Blazkowicz-style.

It might work if you put a thumping bass beat behind it. Maybe a Russian punk band.

I love your point about medium and mechanics and I legitimately think this question is the kind this review should be provoking. BSI and FC3 have done something a little new in that they try to make you confront your own feelings and thus help you assume the role of the protagonist. It's really cool to hear dissenting views about aesthetic/mechanic disjunctions like this one.