Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Directed by Cathy Yan (Dead Pigs)

Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Derek Wilson, Ewan McGregor

so this is lollypop chainsaw, the movie?

Hopefully this will be the one good thing to come from Suicide Squad.

Not doing it for me.

Yeah, I don’t really know these characters, so there’s no auto-lure of many other comic movies, and that trailer by itself is a hard pass.

Terrible trailer, but the new Joker movie makes me think I might just give this a chance. Plus I really like the Harley character, despite the awfulness of Suicide Squad.

I get Tank Girl vibes from this one.

Robbie is doing an actual Tank Girl movie

That new trailer is a disjointed mess.

Now that is a movie I can get behind.

I honestly don’t think a character who talks and emotes like a cartoon can be the lead in a movie that isn’t a cartoon.

I thought this might be the first ever film I’d see Margot Robbie in. But if the movie is as bad as the trailer, perhaps not.

You should check The Wolf of Wall Street. It’s an interesting movie.

Yeah, there are some educational and illuminating scenes with her in Wolf of Wall Street. Highly recommend! It’s actually a good movie, though. Many memes.

To state what’s probably obvious, this has nothing to do with the new Joker movie.

This is still set in the world of Ben Affleck’s Batman and Jared Leto’s Joker (though neither are in this film afaik), and it’s no more connected to Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker than it is to Cesar Romero’s.

A surpassing curiosity in all interpretations of DC comics to the silver screen would be a unifying motivation to see them both, but seeing this movie specifically because of an interest in the unrelated Joker film is hard for me to understand.

You’re right, I didn’t bother to check that, my bad.

I only know Harley Quinn from the animated Batman series. I don’t remember her being so “grungy” in the cartoons. Ick.

The Tonya Harding film was good.

This “action” scene looks awful.

Wow and they thought it was a good idea to release that?