Black Friday 2011

Other than some steam sale games, and Jurassic Park on Blu from Amazon, I am doing very little to help the economy. There is nothing I need or want being advertised anywhere…

:(

I feel like there is something fishy with the Amazon deals. I clicked the 360 with Kinect deal the second the button was available and it just sat there with a “Checking Deal Status” message for 2 minutes until it was sold out, then put me on the wait list.

Update: Toys’r’Us is selling the same thing on eBay right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Xbox-360-4GB-Gaming-System-Kinect-Black-NEW-/180758690279?pt=Video_Games&hash=item2a160eb9e7#ht_2488wt_1140

You pay tax but still get free shipping.

Weird. I got AC: Revelations just fine, and am waiting pointedly for the Batman deal.

EDIT: NOOOOOOO that just happened to me. I’m on the waitlist for batman. FFFFFFFFF

I picked up The Kinect for 99 and Dance Central 2 for 29 from amazon woo!

Just had this happen for Arkham City, but it didn’t even put me on the waitlist. “Waitlist full.”

To add insult to injury, as I’m sitting there with “Checking Deal Status” taking its sweet time, I’m watching the “% claimed” bar gradually fill up to 100%. Fuck you, Amazon, this is because I didn’t select automatic renewal on my Prime membership, isn’t it?

Origin’s Black Friday sale starts in about a half an hour. So. I guess we’ll see how that goes! “Over 200 games available for up to 60% off.” It’d be nice if there was actually something good there! Though their currently available $10 for DA2 isn’t a bad offer.

Aside from Steam, this is a weirdly unexciting Black Friday. Amazon’s had a few decent movie/TV lightning deals (and generally good sale prices on a ton of stuff over the weekend) so far with another couple I’d be vaguely interested by over towards Monday. But Black Friday itself? Nothin’ much. I can’t get that worked up over 30 second availability of console games I probably won’t actually play until their MSRP is pretty close to $30 anyway. Especially in comparison to Steam’s much crazier discounts.

Origin frontpage says Black Friday deals are up, but the Black Friday deals still aren’t up.

Though their deals do mention $5 for Battlefield: FIFA Manager 10. Now I’ve never been a big Battlefield OR FIFA fan, but this kind of mashup seems like it could promise really interesting gameplay opportunities.

Here we go.

Battlefield 3, $30.
Batman: Arkham City, $25.

I just participated in my first brick-and-mortar Black Friday. It sucked but I got what I went for (the 250 GB 360 from Best Buy). 53 minutes in the checkout line! At least I wasn’t one of those guys waiting in the cold before the store opened.

Battlefield 3 is still 50 euros for me :|

Even tho noone uses Euros here.

Most of the actually good offers I saw this year were being offered by several retailers. The only really good “exclusive” I saw was Best Buy’s 42" Sharp LCD for $200.

Not that I’m buying any of this stuff. I work in retail - I don’t plan on feeding the insanity any further.

Between a ridiculous deal on a 55" TV and a 30-60-10% discount off of two place settings of my wedding china*, my black Friday has been pretty productive. Now it is time for sleeps.

*not every deal is for awesome stuff!

Heh. My actual black friday score is a snowblower (which will be reimbursed as a gift from the in-laws). Got my wife some fun stuff pre-BF, but none of the stuff I’d most like (Some lenses and a flash for my camera) is the type of stuff to ever go on BF deals.

Though Newegg does have a nice receiver on sale that I’d love to have in a perfect, non-baby-coming-in-March world where I could justify $400 principally so I quit having to set certain PS3 games/movies to 2 channel sound because they only have a DTS-MA audio channel.

Lulz!!! Lady pepper sprays other shoppers… Black Friday brings out the best in people!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57331142/woman-pepper-sprays-other-black-friday-shoppers/

Wal-Mart Shoppers hit by pepper spray during stampede to grab video game deals. Oh for fuck’s sake, people!

Edit: shakes tiny fist at lordkosc

Well …
My Black Friday shopping is done and combined with some pre-Black Friday shopping I’ve taken care of pretty much all the gifts I’ve got planned for the immediate future (my kid gets three gift-giving moments, one of them a birthday and the other two the obvious). I even treated myself to something (a PC upgrade).

The damage from last night/today is substantial, but survivable. ;)

For the kid:
XBox 360 w/Kinect plus a $10 GC ($199)
two games - Kinect sports seasons 1 & 2 ($50 combined)
Band of Brothers and The Pacific, plus a couple of books ($35 combined, thank you Half Price Books and your cool staff that let me ring each up separately)
Skyrim for the PC plus a $10 GC ($60, but I used $50 from my own GC’s so only $10 - essentially I bought a GC and got Skyrim for free)

For me:
i5 2500k CPU, MSI G68 motherboard, and 8 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM - $250

Still left: one GPU (either to upgrade his PC, or to upgrade mine and then he gets my 460 GTX).
Still dreaming about: one of those 46" TV’s that were on a doorbuster sale at Target that I would have had to camp out all day for … but to be serious, I sit pretty close to the TV as it is. 46" is stupid. Fun, but stupid.

Wait, what? Why do they charge you euros for things?

Inquiring minds with weak willpower want to know where this was purchased :)

I was planning on buying an SSD or a video card if I saw a good deal, but Newegg ended up having one of the 160GB Intel SSDs for $275 with a $120 rebate and BF3. Since I hit the threshold to no-interest finance with their account, I went ahead and picked up a 560 Ti as well to double my no interest period from 6 to 12 months. Like I said, weak willpower.

Christmas is obvious, but what is this other well known gifting event that I may have to address with my family in order to collect on gifts owed. Good grades on final report card?

The D2D Black Friday sale does not impress me (20% off everything, when other retailers are pushing 80% discounts on several things? psshaw!). Rift is 75% off for the day, though I have no idea if its an MMO worth playing.

Hopefully they try harder for Christmas.