Bleep Qualcomm right in their Qualcomm-hole

Boo! We wanted more Alex Jones in our thread drama!

I wonder if these chips will make it to mobile phones.

Good news!

Snapdragon 835, Android / Chrome circa June 2017

Snapdragon 845, Android / Chrome circa June 2018

Note this is Speedometer 1.0 to keep the comparison apples to apples. Between the respectable hardware bump (finally) and major Chrome/Android JS improvements, we’re looking at 2x improvement. Vastly overdue… but I’ll take it!

This is, finally, iPhone 6s territory which I’d call “fast enough for almost any kind of use”.

Compare with other speedometer 1.0 results here.

In a way, I’m going to be sad when this thread stops updating. I like seeing passionate people doing their thing sometimes, even when I disagree.

Hard to disagree with data there, arrendeky

This is what I mean. You completely misunderstood what I was saying but it’s still fun.

Can we close the thread then? : 😘

Woot, now Discourse’s code can be twice as bad!

It’s important to note that at least half that improvement was on the Chrome side. Qualcomm is still thoroughly mediocre, the 845 is somewhat less mediocre than previous releases which is another encouraging trend.

Wow - Qualcomm has improved so much the past year!

I miss wumpus.

Hint: Galaxy Note 9 benchmarks.

Disclaimer: just saw the article and thought of this thread and @wumpus, I really couldn’t care less.

I’d still take it over an iPhone X if someone was offering be the choice of a free phone! I won’t be buying a $1000-$1200 phone anyways so it doesn’t really matter to me.

I just miss having @wumpus make outrageous claims. I don’t know if he was wrong or right, but it was nice to someone get worked up about something that wasn’t important or potential harmful.

Qualcomm SDM1000 geekbench results are out, 1400 single-core and 4300 multi-core. This is their chip intended for laptops and tablets. On single core, that is roughly equivalent to a mobile sandy bridge core i3 from 2012. On multi-core, it’s comparable to a mobile sandy bridge i7 from 2011.

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/941
https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/572

Compare that to the Pentium Gold 4415y in the Surface Go, at 2100 single and 4100 multi-core. It’s a whopping 50% faster at non-threaded applications and more importantly, it runs x86 programs at native speed. I’m sure the Qualcomm chip wins on battery life, but MS did make the right choice there.

Please just let this inane thread die.

If MS had gone with Qualcomm, the Surface Go would have been dead upon launch.

As it is, I am already feeling that the iPad is much more responsive compared to the Surface Go when it comes to apps as well as websites. A 1/2 speed Qualcomm powdered Surface Go? no thanks.

It’s the Qualcomm thread now boyo, like it or not!

Hahaha

I’m writing multi-threaded code RIGHT NOW, suckas.

So I see.