Blind Justice, this has to be a comedy

http://www.abcmedianet.com/shows03/primetime/blind/lead.shtml

This has to be a comedy. How can an executive invest money in something like this and not be fired. Its sounds like someone is trying to take an SNL skit and make it a drama show.

From Steven Bochco Productions comes “Blind Justice,” an innovative take on the modern police drama. The lead character, New York Detective Jim Dunbar, was blinded in a shootout when his partner failed to cover him. He could have retired with a full pension after his injury, but instead fought to remain on the job, determined to prove he still has what it takes and be an asset. Now, following his reinstatement, he is assigned to a new precinct where he intends to take on cases with the help of his guide dog, Hank.

Though all the detectives are impressed by Dunbar’s heroism, demonstrated during the events that led to his being blinded, they are angry he has returned and incredulous at his belief that he can still work the streets and carry a loaded gun. Bettancourt in particular has reservations, which are compounded by the knowledge of Dunbar’s past affair with her friend. As a result, when Lieutenant Fisk (Michael Gaston) - who reluctantly agreed to give Dunbar a chance to prove himself - partners him with Bettancourt, she is furious.

It sounds like a rip off of the British tv show ‘Second Sight’, which was pretty hokey to begin with. It starred Clive Owen, now known for Closer and King Arthur, as a detective who was loosing his sight. I didn’t watch enough episodes to find out if he ended up being totally blind.

The actress on the far right has worked in comedy before (last saw her in the remake of Coupling) so it’s probably a comedy. The premise seems a “little” gimmicky though.
edit: except for the description of it as a “drama”. geeeeez. That sounds even weaker now

I’ve seen previews for this, and the previews make it out to be a straight drama. There’s even a scene where he’s at a crime scene (a car) and he smells gunpowder when no one else can. He’s SuperNose.

It’s my understanding he can see by ultrasound. Jennifer Garner will gueststar in a rain-drenched role… :lol:

No kidding, it sounds like Daredevil meets CSI or something.

Sounds like the awesome Rutger Hauer film: BLIND FURY

He may be blind but he don’t need no dog.

Actually, the geriatric amongst us might remember, as I do, that this has been done before. There was a show in the early '70s called “Longstreet”, starring James Franciscus , about a blind investigator.

The car chases were the best!

Ah, the era of the Defective Detectives:

• Longstreet blind

• Ironside in a wheelchair

• Cannon enormously fat

• Columbo retarded

• Banaby Jones decrepid with age

Columbo was rather retarded.

Whoa, I thought he just acted retarded to trick overconfident miscreants?

I suppose it’s possible, but he also acted retarded in more personal relationships.

You have completely missed the point of everything Columbo ever did.

I suppose it’s possible, but he also acted retarded in more personal relationships.

You also never actually watched the show. I defy you to find one single episode that actually shows Columbo in an actual on-screen personal relationship with anybody.

That was actually one of the coolest things about it. I could write essays on the tremendous utility Columbo got out of “Mrs. Columbo”. For a long time it was an open question in my mind as to whether he actually was married at all, and didn’t just make up stories about an imaginary wife whenever tactically convenient, but there are a few spots where he’s talking on the phone to her when it is unnecessary to advance the case. His side of those conversations, incidentally, sounds like perfectly normal husband/wife talk.

Mrs. Columbo, coincidentally, was Captain Janeway…

Blind Justice is not a comedy, as obvious from the commercials. It could be interesting, but I just don’t see how it could work in a real series for any real length.

— Alan

Totally unrelated but does anyone else see Clive Owen as the unholy love child of Mel Gibson and Nicholas Cage, perhaps grown in a lab by mad scientists?

When I first saw the commercial for this, I laughed. I then saw the title and nearly lost it, thinking they stole it from some never-released Steven Segal movie or something.

Totally unrelated but does anyone else see Clive Owen as the unholy love child of Mel Gibson and Nicholas Cage, perhaps grown in a lab by mad scientists?

[/quote]
Not until you mentioned it. I guess I can sorta see it.

Don’t forget Kojak, who was…well, bald with an oral fixation.

Which reminds me, the new Kojak is, er, interesting. I wonder if they’re going to try to explain how he got that name.

[/quote]
Swap out Gibson for Derek Jeter and I can see it. But only in still pics.