Bloodborne - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor's Spiritual Successor

I am surprised at how large what I thought was an intro area is turning out to be.

Yes. It’s the intro to insanity.

Yes, the first area is, appropriately, kind of a nightmare.

I really dislike the late game Bloodborne areas, specifically the Unseen Village and Nightmare of Mensis. They are both areas I simply run through/skip everything and get to the boss ASAP. The enemy density/annoyance factor is off the charts.

For comparison, only the dino asses in lava land from DS1 really gets this kind of treatment, as in I usually clear all areas in a playthrough.

I am not a fan of the camera in the first boss fight. I keep dying partly because I loose track of my character in the walls and the boss. I like the area and the enemies, but the camera. I know people bitch about the camera in the Dark Souls games but fighting a boss in a tight area and being unable to see anything is a real pain.

The camera is actually the game’s primary antagonist.

It’s rarely great, but that’s probably one of the worst cases in the game. I used to dread it every playthrough.

You probably shouldn’t lock on for most big boss fights. The main reason for camera lock is aiming your gun or spells and most big bosses can’t be staggered by gunshots anyway.

I still haven’t taken the boss out, I have been exploring and man this area is bigger than I thought. The sewer appears huge. I accidentely summoned a guy, an NPC as I am not online. I saw something on the ground and clicked on it before reading it and summoned the guy. And I guess by doing that I burned what seems to be a rare commodity called Insight?

I would like to be online but apparently PS4’s require each individual to have an account to play online. That sounds like it could get expensive in a family with a few kids unless they all played on the same account. So what do I miss by playing offline. Invasions? Summoning for sure. Messages.

Question, should I be leveling up my weapon or holding on to those shards for something else?

It’s like Humanity in Dark Souls. I guess it could get rare in theory, but I’ve never run out of it, personally. So maybe it’s not all that rare?

Yeah, once I stopped paying for PS+, the only thing I really missed was the messages. You don’t realize how much more secrets and other things you find because of messages until they’re gone. But then, you don’t really know how many secrets and helpful tips you’re missing out on, so in a way it’s fine.

Upgrade away. There’s lots and lots of the lower level currency in the game. I think enough for me to level all the weapons to at least level 3 or whatever the lowest currency lets you take it to. And then the next currency after that is pretty common too, so you can take about 5 more weapons to the next tier I think. And then the currencies you require to upgrade after that get rare.

I think I have my Axe at level 8 or 9 or something currently, and I only found one of that material in the whole game that let me level it to that level.

After getting to the first boss I watched a youtube play thru by someone and it struck me how many messages there were. Until then I hadn’t thought about it.

Are there secret illusory walls and things like that?

The Cleric Beast is dead. I just had to slow down and git gud I guess. But I thought the gate behind him would open when he died and apparently it doesn’t, which is why he was listed as an optional boss.

So it looks like I follow the sewer? I did find a shortcut elevator before a large staircase after wandering thru the sewer.

Have fun.

Yep, that door doesn’t open. The cleric beast is one of many optional bosses in Bloodborne, but defeating it is still worth doing as it gets you access to more items in the shop. Always worth checking back in with the little ones after a boss.

There is no such thing as an optional boss in a FromSoft game.

Very true. :)

Well, the Father’s dead. Damn he was fast. Playing this now makes the increased speed in DS3 seem like slow motion.

I think I am getting better at not needing a shield. :)

There’s like 10+ optional bosses in Bloodborne, with only 7 being required to finish the game. Three of the seven are in the last two areas of the game.

That is quite a ratio of required to not required. In the DS games (not counting the DLC) most are required.

And I didn’t even count all the chalice dungeon bosses! Bloodborne has the shortest critical path of any Souls game.