Boardgaming 2021: minis are back, baby!

That’s why it hasn’t gone out. They could either have you waiting a long time plus some more days which still equals a long time, or you and more people waiting a long time. The tragedy of preorders…

He didn’t preorder it. Up-thread he said he ordered it when QM fulfillment announced that it had arrived and was being sent out. (I, on the other hand, did “preorder”, by backing the original campaign on Kickstarter, and I have my game in hand now.)

One of them is Aliens, going by the illustration of a power loader in a recent KS update. They don’t seem to mind borrowing heavily from the source material for some of these.

Well yeah, that’s the whole theme/concept of the game!

Oh wow, wasn’t expecting that! But Ripley is surely a final girl, so it tracks.

Another week, and still no Radlands or Final Girl. Grrr. It’s like shipping is having trouble.

I’m still enjoying Unsettled. I four-handed the last scenario of the base framework’s second planet, and I’m surprised the game doesn’t officially list itself as solitaire compatible. We also moved onto one of the extra planets, the spongy one. First scenario was a breeze despite the increased complexity. We’ll see if that pattern holds.

Also still digging on Brian Boru, although I’m falling out of love with it ever so slightly. One of its best ideas is that winning a trick on a weak card will give you additional rewards, but I have yet to see the lowest cards manage a win.

Just saw on the Game Steward facebook page that folks are reporting that they’re getting their ship notice on the game. Here’s hoping you and Tom and anyone else have it soon!

Ya…got mine last night. Need to try Hadrian’s Wall the next few nights and then get the table cleared!

Anyone playing Middara? I just started looking into it and it looks pretty cool, a dungeon crawler with a JRPG theme. I saw a couple posts when it first delivered after the KS but not much since. Any fans?

I really shouldn’t even be thinking about a game with the commitment of Middara when Gloomhaven/Jaws of the Lion are both mocking me from the shelf.

One cool thing I learned about when looking into it is the Foreteller audio narration. As I understand it they do voiceovers for the story parts. The bit I heard of Middara was good, the voices the lady did reminded me of Laharl and the gang from Disgaea. I don’t know, maybe one person doing them all would get old eventually but I liked what I heard. It sounds like most of those Foreteller narrations are much better voiced with multiple actors. I see they have one for Gloomhaven and I plan on picking that up. I think that will be more engaging then one player reading it.

Yes, we’re loving it. But it’s a lot of game and posting every time we played it wouldn’t be that interesting to anyone else I don’t think. If you want to give it a go, it’s fully implemented in a super-scripted official Tabletop Simulator module that’s very nice. (And how we’re playing. I have the physical version but my girlfriend doesn’t live in this state soooo.)

What? I ordered my copy before you and it hasn’t even shipped yet. Grrr. Game Steward never missed an opportunity to screw me over. :/

-Tom

Got my “shipped notice” last night. Also, Space Race and Hadrian’s Wall arrived today. Not enough time for so many games.

Oh, the shipping notice, not the actual game. I got a notice today, too, although it was just a “label created” notice and nothing had actually shipped yet. So I retract my statement about Game Steward screwing me over, which they’ve only done once!

-Tom

I feel like I let the community down on Final Girl. I remember seeing the kickstarter and thinking it was exactly the kind of game a lot of Qt3ers would like. I didn’t see any discussion and never started one and now here we are paying through the teeth and dealing with shoddy customer service.

I haven’t ordered FG yet but that’s sort of my debate right now Middara or FG.

Thanks for the info @malkav11 I remembered you mentioning the great mod previously and I downloaded it the other day. I’m really new at TTS so I’m still trying to come to grips with the controls and mod functions. It is pretty awesome how it ties the audio narration right into the mod. I’m pretty sure it’s not really anything that amazing to people who use TTS a lot but it was like magic to me.

I ordered Sleeping Gods on backorder back in May and forgot about it.

Pleasant surprise when it arrived today! Excited to give it a go

I haven’t posted about Final Girl because I’ve only played one game (and don’t want to bum anyone waiting on preorders out) but I ordered the core and two modules on the Van Ryder store last week for about $75 including shipping and it got here a couple nights ago. They’re only sold out of the Friday the 13th module, miniatures, and playmat right now if anyone is still in the market.

I guess Everdell will be digital now.

I’ve now acquired a used copy of Imperium: Classics to go with my Legends set, and my 20-something son and I played today. I had the Greeks; he had the Celts. He built a big sprawling country, with Hibernia and Brittania and all sorts of other holdings, and eventually he produced all but one of his developments.

I, on the other hand, had a little city-state, with almost no land holdings, and Scientists and Philosophers wandering around. Every time I had three lands, I played Glory to recall them, allowing me to draw Fame cards. I also pinged him with Notorious attacks, which annoyed him, as he’s usually the more aggressive player. We sensed I was ahead for most of the game, and the final score bore that out: Greeks 77, Celts 65. A fun session.

Very cool, would love to play this with some folks that can’t meet up in person.

So we played a game of Warrior Knights last night with some friends. Long game, but we all had fun. Like a 7 hour game, like the diplomacy/war aspect. Just felt a little long by the end.

We also played the first few missions of Jagged Alliance the boardgame.. If you are a fan of the computer game, this is essentially playing the board game version of it, with a Conan-type fatigue system. Its co-op campaign with a LOT of depth!

The first few missions are fairly easy but the difficulty and depth ramps up quickly. You can do bounty hunting, missions, train rebels, recruit npcs, very much a translation of the computer game. The only reason we stopped is we were exhausted after 9 hours of gaming lol. Hate being old.

It has Deidreanna and Elliot, but also an alternate bad guy, so has replay, plenty of aim mercs to recruit, and 14 (i think) base mercs to choose from. Also have the mines, the alien creatures and blood cats as optional content so LOTS of replayability possibilities!

Very much want to find a group and play the whole campaign!

Downside to the game so far, no table of contents, no turn reference sheet…so thats kinda annoying.