Boardgaming 2021: minis are back, baby!

Cleaning up at all is totally gay. Just leave it there. You have other horizontal surfaces.

No, it really doesn’t have anything to do with loving someone of the same gender.

Not bad for a holiday week. Wouldn’t have minded getting in a more involved Pax than Viking, and Unfathomable feels stiff (probably because it’s a zombie). But other than that, had a great time.

After playing a couple of missions in Aftermath (the postapocalyptic rodent game), I stopped to care about some minor rules. Like checking for threat when every char left the page. There might be some instances when this is actually relevant, but who cares… a rule that is maybe used once or twice I can live without.

Also, the stop-on-eye-symbol-rule-the-first-time. I will not remember when I come back to a map if I explored all points of interest. So I do what I see fit for me. Don’t care for this rule.

I wonder how the game is balanced, because my rodents get more items and abilities. Items need to be repaired before starting a mission, I guess that’s balancing. And new missions are entering through the adventure book… So I guess it is balanced.

Otherwise it is actually an enjoyable game, I had it for 2 years in my backlog…

No minis here, just me moving some magazine games into new boxes that aren’t falling apart!

Some of you may get a kick out of this! It’s about 2/3’s of my magazine game collection - I finished one box before deciding to record it. I need more time. And a very large game room. And probably less cats.

Absolutely infuriating video! Every third or fourth game I wanted you to take out of the baggie and show me, but nope, you just kept stacking them one on top of each other. Sure enough, there are two more I want to look at. Oh, there’s another! What’s that one? Wait, go back! What was that one???

Six minutes of sheer torment.

-Tom

I post this here because I did it in 2021. I got the hankering to pull my 7th Continent boxes out of the closet and make another run at The Voracious Goddess. This was my 3rd full attempt and at this point I’m not trying to prove anything so I

• played on Prodigy mode (5 extra somewhat powerful cards in the Action deck)
  • played on Easy mode (basically gives an extra life)
  • ignored rockworm, plant, and weather cards. (These are expansions that make the game harder.)

… and I still lost. Or rather I threw in the towel because the path to winning required too much backtracking. That said, I think I know how to beat it now and where to go. And I actually think I did pretty well. I didn’t use the extra life until I was deep into searching the island to figure out what I’d missed. I’ll make another run at it this weekend and post in the 2022 boardgaming thread.