Boardgaming 2022: the year of "point salad really isn't very filling"

Funny situation last night with Azul

We bought our copy back in 2017 and have been playing it for years.

The directions say to put unused tiles in the box lid. But last night my wife wanted to fiddle with the tiles while we played. We are into our second game a notice that the game seems oddly weighted towards yellow tiles, and that we shouldn’t be pulling so many yellows with with what we see in the discard.

We start counting. Yep, sure enough our copy has 20 extra yellow tiles. We have been playing with 20 extra yellows for 5 years!!

That is hilarious

Had 2 great finds this week and got Dead Reckoning and My Father’s Work deals. My father’s work probably should not have been released yet but the kickstarter backers wanted to get the game before the app was finished. That said, the game is still very playable and a lot of fun. Lots of theme and the app makes it so that even if you have an idea of what is happening story-wise your actions and requirement/ rewards are always different. I’m looking forward to trying it again soon and can’t wait to get the completed app.

Played another game of Mage Knight. After being so proud of myself and so happy that I won my first solo game, I got smoked on my second. :(

This time I used Goldyx. I only conquered one of the two cities and ended up with a score of 76.

Next time I’ll try Arythea.

that’s like a top 20 list. I am really curious which games made rhe cut…

Keep trying. Your scores seem extremely low for both the win and the loss. I recommend you turn over the scoring card and score that side too!

You’re moving to St Louis? Hey, hit me up if you’d like a boardgame partner!

I think I scored both sides of the card. If so, then I’m not sure why my scores are so low. Didn’t kill enough monsters and assault enough sites maybe?

I just bought Concordia … finally, something triggered, and it made click. Looking forward to this action selection game with a strong spatial aspect.

Now I learned that there is a solitaire expansion, Concordia: Solitaria. The solo mode reminds me of Under Falling Skies. Your action is directly tied to the oppenent action. I liked that in UFS, you knew exactly what would happen, when you chose your dice.

Anyone tried the Concordia solo expansion? I think I will get it eventually, unless someone tells me that it is not that good a solo mode (I read it is really good, though).

Picked up the Love Letters app (android) last night. What a great little mobile implementation of the game. Plays quick and is fun. Highly recommend.

It’s possible they changed the system in the later version. Looking back at my initial scores when I first started playing (way back in the day!) I see I got: Krang: Win, 165. Wolfhawk: Loss, 133. Tovak: Win, 180 and Arythea: Loss, 120.

Not that the score is important. After a while you will win consistently with city levels 4/7 for Solo Conquest… Pretty sure I could win at that level now regardless of card draw and I am nothing special. Rarely play now but find city levels 7/10 to be an appropriate challenge .

Still think it’s an amazing design for solo. The multiplayer games I have played have taken many many many hours however. The downtime is real!

I lost again last night with Arythea. Only got 72 points.

I think I’ll have to lower the cities from 5/8 to 4/7 or something like you suggested. That’s only part of the problem though. I think I’m not being aggressive enough early on, or as I found out this last time, too aggressive in the early game and saddled with lots of wounds. Arythea has skills to clear those, but only if they come up for grabs. I haven’t grasped the flow of when to attack and when to move on by.

I really like the game. I may need to watch some more videos to speed up the learning process. I just hate spending time that way. I’d rather be playing.

I am being almost literal when I say I can’t imagine a multiplayer game of Mage Knight. Because the optimization is so brutal, it seems to me like it would be the equivalent of combining figure skating and pro wrestling: you’re each trying to figure-skate your way through the optimization challenges, working on balance and intricate interactions and razor-margined calculations, but you’re also slamming into each other and messing up one another’s plans with all the finesse of pro wrestlers, because even the slightest jostle will completely upend another player’s turn!

And, yeah, the downtime has got to be horrific, because you can’t really plan for anything and why would you rush anyone’s turn when you’re going to need just as much time – if not more! – when your turn rolls around!

What’s the upside, @Ormus? What possessed you and at least one of your friends to attempt this madness?

-Tom

If you play coop, it’s multiple minds optimizing multiple turns collectively. I agree competitive play seems… non optimal as a way to play, though.

2 player co-op works just fine imho. I’ve done 3 player co-op and it was ok but downtime was a problem (although not anywhere near as much downtime as I’ve experienced playing 2 player hex and counter wargames for instance)

Ah, it didn’t occur to me @Ormus meant co-op. I’ve played Mage Knight that way. Although I didn’t press another person into service to do it, so there was no downtime involved.

-Tom

It wasn’t co-op! Basically occasionally I run a little mini-convention at my place. The horde would arrive on the Saturday but three friends came early and stayed the Friday night and as they are all MK fans one of them suggested a game.

We started at 8pm having collected some Fish and Chips. At 4am I suggested we add up the scores as the throng would be arriving from 10am. Suffice to say, never again…

Bless you for doing this service so that no one reading here ever tries competitive multiplayer Mage Knight.

There but for the grace of God go I… :)

-Tom

Would it work as a forum game, to get rid of the downtime problem and any pressure on thinking time?

I’ve only played the one game myself, co-op, and even that took a very long time.