Book Thread 2018^H9

Maybe they want to make sure they recoup their investment in printing. I am patient. I can wait. It’s just that I’ve shifted my method of reading to a Kindle and I don’t really like holding a book anymore.

I also really don’t want a collection of physical books anymore. I still have some, most of which are out of print and unlikely to come back – contemporary poetry. Other than that I steer clear nowadays.

I am still waiting for my turn at the library. The books are on hold for a long time.

I’m probably in the minority, but I was fairly unimpressed, and I’ve liked his other books quite a bit.

It seemed that nothing happened for the first 200 pages other than the POV characters having sex with each other…

I felt the same way. It was nice to revisit that universe but the book was much weaker and messier than the previous books.

I’m just finishing a re-read of the First Law trilogy and wow I forgot how awesome it is. I’ve got a couple hundred pages left in the third book and am enjoying every minute. I’ve got most of the other books on Kindle so I think I’ll move right into those.

It took me so long to give up my paper books for the Kindle and with these I was reading the physicals OMG is that such a pain in the ass now compared to ebooks. I don’t know how I did it before, I’m pretty picky about keeping them as pristine as possible. This book started nice and pretty and now it’s all dog eared with a torn cover from getting tossed around. Plus I just seem to find a lot more spare time to read the Kindle. Oh well first world problem, poor me ;-)

I hardly get ebooks for my Kindle. These days it’s all audiobooks. No neck and back pain! So comfy!

FYI, there are 2 books called Twilight Patrol, I almost the bought wrong one, until I went back to the above link, to double check.

Here is the right one

Glad I could support @Miramon, whose posts I have always enjoyed… Especially since I missed his thread.

It’s kind of surprising there isn’t an ebook. Among other things, they’re missing a shot at companion sales. Are they print-on-demand, or have they printed books on spec for bookstore distribution?

I think they go through Ingram for paper copies, not sure. They don’t distribute to bookstores on consignment so far as I know, though. But you’re right they’re missing out on various sales opportunities by not having the ebook ready yet, which is why I’m not sure it’s deliberate policy so much as laziness or overwork or something like that.

Have I mentioned that we have talented folks on QT3? This is my third book this year that was written by a denizen of this board!

This one is Mortality in Lies by @scottagibson, which he posted about a few days ago. I got the Kindle version when it was on sale, and it’s also free if you have Kindle Unlimited. It’s an enjoyable read for fans of historical fiction, particularly if you enjoy intrigue and a bit of conscience-struggle on the part of the main characters.

That’s a great review, @ineffablebob, thanks. I’m really glad you enjoyed it!

It’s interesting, because publishing myself I found that getting the formatting right for the print books was much harder than for the ebooks. Basically, if you get the print format right, the ebook format is a snap.

Total Control by David Baldacci

Not a great book. The plot itself is okay but the characters reactions to it are kinda insane. But if you like non-stop action with good guys and bad guys then you might enjoy this.

Finished Obscura by Joe Hart last week. I “checked it out” as part of the Amazon Prime program where they offer you a selection of books each month for free. It must be free in November because it’s still free to read:

It’s a sci-fi thriller and pretty gripping. There were a number of twists and turns I didn’t see coming. And I like Hart’s writing style, and will probably get some of his other books eventually.

I’m roughly halfway through Murakami’s Killing Commendatore. The characters are kind of whiny. They basically repeat the same conversations/complaints multiple times. I’m getting tired of listening to them.

:(

The moment the little dude first makes his appearance was a pretty good scene though. I was scared.

Finished Leigh Bardugo’s new book for adults, Ninth House, which is a fantasy thriller.

The book is kind of a love letter to Bardugo’s alma mater, Yale University and its secret societies. In the world Bardugo has conjured up, each of the “ancient eight” societies (or Houses) specializes in a particular kind of ritual magic. Skull and Bones, for instance, does prognostications by examining entrails. The secret societies, locations, and much of the history of New Haven contained in the novel are all real and historical.

Alex Stern, the main character of the novel, is a young woman from California who can see ghosts. (She calls them “quiet ones” and for most of the novel, they’re called “greys”.) Because of this ability, she’s been drafted to be a member of the ninth house, Lethe, which is kind of a watchdog society, dedicated to keeping the other magical societies in line and assisting their rituals to prevent magical apocalypses. The magic in this novel is dark, dangerous, and capricious. Although saturated with fantasy elements, at its heart, Ninth House is a thriller, a whodunit.

I really enjoyed the book. It has compelling characters, cool dark fantasy stuff going on, and a riveting pace. And Bardugo is a skilled wordsmith, but doesn’t ever let her prose get in the way of the story. I did have a couple of problems with it though:

1. The book starts in media res and it takes several chapters to fill in the backstories of the world and characters. I like this technique sometimes, but here I’m not sure what the point is. I think the story and especially the characterizations would have been better served with a more straightforward presentation. Bardugo seems to want to subvert expectations with her characters, which is cool, but makes them hard to get a handle on and vague in motivation until their backstories are introduced.
  2. The end of the book is an exposition dump. This is really unfortunate because everything leading up to it is fun and heart-racing and cool. But then we get pages and pages of villain exposition, in far more detail than is necessary to explain what is and has happened. I mean it’s neat and all, but I wish she’d shown this stuff through action sequences rather than have it told with a villain monologue.

Regardless, though, this is a fun read. Recommended.

And I’m now on to the new Claire North novel:)

Thank you. Great timing as my Amazon book algorithm is fucked and the well was a bit dry.

I just finished The Consuming Fire, by Scalzi.

I liked it, but it’s a very Scalzi book. I like the premise that a bunch of intergalactic trade winds are collapsing, and I liked the characters. However, it felt the good characters were a little too good and smart, and the bad characters were a little too dumb and bad. I feel there is a lot of author agency in the good guys.

He also typed the book over a two week period mostly due to his own laziness. He had done the actual scheming and plotting before hand, but typed it over two weeks. I’m not sure it shows.

I was a little cold on the first book, but I’m almost-sorta-but-not-quite-yet tempted to get the second one. Do you feel it’s an improvement, or more of the same?

I don’t really remember much about the first one, other than I thought it was a nice change from his OMW series. I guess a slight improvement since the events are all in motion. That said, the Kiva Lagos character is a riot in this book.