Borderlands 3 - More cel-shaded loot

Surprisingly light on the requirements, if they recommend a 1060 for 1440p.

Not too surprising if it’s just more Borderlands though.

the models looks more detailed this time
probably they ride on the upgrades and optimizations of the base engine

Ouch. Pretty high on the CPU minimum.

Thats like a 7 year old cpu isn’t it?

Yeah, my CPU is from 2009, and this minimum requirement is a CPU from 4 years later in 2013. Most of this generation has been fine for my 2009 CPU thanks to the Xbox One and PS4 having weak CPUs, but I’m seeing the CPU requirements become a bottleneck for games finally, even though I have a 980Ti.

I have a 3570 I think, too. Hasn’t been a need to upgrade really. And given that a mobo/cpu/cooler/ram upgrade is as much of a pain as a full build–hell, it is pretty much the hard parts of any build–I haven’t been eager to do so.

Same. I keep hoping one day I’ll see an incredible deal on a PC without a graphics card, and I’ll just plop my graphics card from my old PC to the new one. Bonus points if I can bring all 3 hard drives with me too.

Dude, FYI, your CPU could die any day. It could also last a few more years, but if I were you, I’d have some sort of plan worked out in advance for what you are doing to do. (I worked in Intel’s quality department, we shoot for 5 year life spans - yours is 2x that).

Huh? Why would a CPU die? In all my years of experience with PCs, I’ve never seen a CPU die. Other parts – sure. Hard drives die. Memory can sometimes die. Motherboards can die. CPUs? I’ve never seen it.

I have been appropriately nervous the last 3 years. And I’ve been lucky.

And I didn’t go on vacation for the last 3 years, so I do have enough money saved up now that I can actually afford one if this fails. Like I said, I occasionally keep my eye on deals on PCs without a video card. That will be the cheapest upgrade path.

Well, if the motherboard dies, it’s the same bottom line. It’s not like I’m going to replace the motherboard and keep the CPU and everything else. :)

All electronics eventually die and a CPU is no exception. Transistors are not perfect and minute imperfections are exacerbated over time, especially when repeatedly heated.

Like I said, I’ve never seen a CPU die. You can take a CPU from the 90s and it’ll run perfectly. In general, they’re either born bad or they stay good.

Fair enough. It might be a lot cheaper though, and CPUs are really not advancing much speed-wise. That’s the reason you can still play games with your 2009 CPU.

It’s hit or miss, your experience is not a microcosm of reality. CPUs are prone to atrophy (even if the rate is lesser compared to other components, it still happens) but I’m clearly not going to change your mind.

Unless you have specific experience to draw upon, I don’t know what you’re basing this on. Here’s an example of an answer to someone asking the same question. 386s, 486s are still running fine. People still run original C64s. CPUs do not die – certainly not in any timescale that we observe.

Sure, there could be freak accidents like a motherboard voltage spike that fries the motherboard. Most times though, you can even take the CPU out of that dead motherboard, stick it in another one, and it’ll be fine.

I have industry certifications on hardware and am basing my statements on physics. I agree that CPU failure rates are very low compared to other devices, but CPUs can and do die. I don’t have to convince to be accurate, CPUs are not immortal and will eventually fail.

It’s possible for CPUs to die. I wouldn’t replace one from 2009 expecting it to die, though.

If the effective lifetime of CPUs is 50-70 years or more, then they’re effectively immortal from our perspective of rapidly-changing technology. I have observed every other major component of a computer dying at one point or another. The fact that I’ve never seen a CPU die, nor have I heard of one dying, despite dealing with hundreds of computers, suggests to me that if it happens, it’s at a rate that’s effectively zero relative to everything else.

The one caveat would be the generation of CPUs (I think around the first Pentiums or perhaps a little later) that started to build up heat that needed active dissipation and yet did not have high temperature shutdown built-in in case of fan failure. Those CPUs would keep producing heat until they melted themselves. That’s the only instance I’m aware of where CPUs actually died.

Atom C2000 chips were also notoriously bad, failing after a couple of years.