Borderlands 3 - More cel-shaded loot

Interesting. Reading up on it, it does seem like they had transistors malfunction over a short period of time due to bad design. I guess I should limit my previous statements, in the sense that we have experience with CPUs so far, but as they make the transistors on CPUs progressively smaller, companies run the risk of creating problems that do develop over time. At the same time, the rarity of these cases demonstrates how reliable the technology is in general.

All wrong. Listen, I told you I worked in the Intel Quality Department for 5 years. That’s where we test the fuck out of chips to ensure we meet our Failure in Time goals (FIT) of 5 years. That’s 1% of chips at 5 years.

FIT are predicated on “average” user workloads. Hint: Gaming is way out of bounds of average work loads.

CPU degradation is a function of temperature, time and voltage. Time has two vectors - temp & voltage, and believe it or not, cosmic rays. We actually take our chips to Los Alamos and accelerate the natural bombardment that occurs to see how much degradation we get.

The cosmic ray thing was on a recent episode of Radio lab. Fascinating stuff.

I don’t doubt that you worked there. However, if it was really 1% in 5 years, we’d have massive numbers of cases of CPUs dying. The reality is that it just doesn’t happen, so Intel’s estimations are way off. I’d love to hear more about their methods though.

I’ve had two CPUs die over my lifetime of gaming. One was only three or four years old and so was likely defective in some way. The other was more like seven. The chip in my “smart” TV died a couple years ago as well, in 13 months. It happens.

Do you know those were CPU failure rather than motherboard failures, which are far, far more likely?

In the case of the two computers, CPU (functionality restored by replacing that part). The TV is speculation, but that was the theory of the tech that looked at it. It wasn’t completely and utterly dead, but it would crash after a few seconds.

I’ve also had machines with CPUs still cranking away after 12 years, so I’m not saying it’s likely, just that I’ve had it happen.

Interesting. Nice to encounter someone who’s actually observed it.

Nice for you, maybe. :P

/popcorn

The fuck???

Oh yes, that’s part of the accusations also. Never been substantiated of course.

Beating the campaign unlocks a crucial component of Borderlands 3’s endgame: Guardian Rank. If you’re familiar with previous Borderlands’ Badass Rank system, the basic idea is the same: you can unlock incremental stat improvements that apply to all your Vault Hunters. But Guardian Rank reinvents this mechanic by providing the opportunity for some powerful buffs atop all the smaller bonuses. The Guardian Rank bar sits above your usual XP bar on all your Vault Hunters and is leveled up via experience points; every bar you fill unlocks a Guardian Token, which you can spend to unlock bonus stats across three distinct trees. Spending a Guardian Token lets you choose one option from a total of six randomly selected stats, two from each tree, from a total list of 17 helpful varieties.

These stat bonuses are nothing to sneeze at on their own, but the real prizes lie in the Guardian Rewards trees. By investing a certain number of tokens, you’ll unlock Guardian Rewards specific to the Enforcer, Survivor, and Hunter categories. There are six tiers across all three trees, unlocked by spending 10, 15, 25, 35, 50, or 75 tokens in their respective category. These Guardian Rewards include weapon and Vault Hunter skins to help show off your commitment to vault hunting, as well as passive buffs that can seriously boost your overall power. For instance, the second tier Guardian Rewards will grant additional gun damage to all shots while in Fight For Your Life (the Inner Fury buff in the Enforcer tree), make you recover from FFYL with full health and shields (Resilient in the Survivor tree), or grant extra ammo from all ammo pickups (Bullet Collector in the Hunter tree). Unlocking Guardian Rewards takes serious dedication, but the payoffs will be felt across all your playthroughs from that moment on.

Mayhem Mode has the power to change the entire universe of Borderlands 3. Upon completing the story campaign, you’ll activate a mysterious terminal aboard Sanctuary III that can enable three difficulty levels: Mayhem 1, Mayhem 2, or Mayhem 3. Taking on one of these Mayhem Modes ups the ante on risks and rewards across all worlds: enemies get increased health, shields, and armor, while you get bonus cash, Eridium, experience gains, and chances for better loot. Jumping straight into Mayhem 3 is basically a death sentence; instead, you should start at Mayhem 1 and work your way up to higher difficulties once you’ve acquired enough upgraded gear. Mayhem Mode has more badasses and Anointed enemies; basically, things are going to be tougher all around. To offset that difficulty, enemies can drop Anointed gear which grants buffs to your Action Skills, including some that are specific to just one Vault Hunter class.

On top of the tougher baddies, Mayhem Mode applies Mayhem Mods to any planet you visit, which force you to adapt to new playstyles and combat approaches in response to a random selection of modifiers. For instance, you might get Mayhem Mods like Savage, where all enemies deal more weapon damage, or You’re a Wizard, which reduces the damage players do with normal bullets but increases their elemental damage by the same amount; the set of Mayhem Mods you’ll encounter are viewable from the map screen. And certain Mayhem Mods only come into play when you’ve activated Mayhem 2 or Mayhem 3, making your survival that much less likely. Be aware that you won’t have access to the Mayhem Mode terminal in True Vault Hunter Mode until after you’ve beaten the new campaign, so plan accordingly.

Alternate advancement in the endgame obviously inspired by Diablo 3 paragon points. Also D3 difficulty modes. Makes perfect sense to me.

I’m surprised they didn’t add the equivalent of adventure mode, rather than forcing players to go through the campaign again.

Could you please stop mansplaining.

Could you please stop assuming you know how I identify?

Funny thing, I completed both BL1 and BL2 and had no idea of this.

I think in both cases they were patched in post-release, prob why (if I’m right).

To be honest, I was making a reference to the fact I don’t play to the new game+ thing these games have. It was always seemed silly to me: if I wanted to replay the game, as a I minimum I would want to pick another class, not play with the same character!

Looter-shooters have the same design underpinnings as ARPGs; if you played Diablo 3 after completing the campaign that same sort of attraction is supposed to apply here.

It never did for me either, though. For some reason I find clicking around an isometric game much more relaxing than a FPS, so I could never get into that zen state.