Borderlands 3 - More cel-shaded loot

I can only speak for myself, but sure. If they let me switch to the other characters at the same level, I would play them, but I’m not going to play the entire campaign again.

That’s always been my roadblock. I don’t mind going through the campaign once, I just don’t want to do it over and over and over again, especially when it limits features (weapon and other gear slots, for example). Especially in Borderlands, where the campaign tends to be lengthy and with its share of cutscenes, dialog, etc.

Just let me beat the campaign once and then start a new character at L1 just raiding vaults and bosses or whatever.

I guess mechanically, adding new skills or trees to existing classes does exactly what you want. It allows you to try new powers out without starting over. From the dev side, it’s got to be cheaper and easier to create as well.

That seems bonkers. I’m not a game restarter, but I restarted BL2 many times.

I started the mechromancer and played around a bit but really I stuck with my main, no interest in doing the campaign again.

Diablo 3 solved this problem with adventure mode and seasons. BL3 should do something similar.

There’s a lot of things BL3 could learn from D3.

You should be able to change class in the same way you can respec your character. Baam, problem solved. It isn’t that hard.

Another vote for adventure mode or something similar. When Diablo III added that, I started playing the game a whole lot more, for sure.

Another gold key shift code: KSK3T-SJJSB-Z5B5K-3TTBT-TX3TT

Cool, thanks.

Here’s another one, it expires in under 2 hours from when I post this.

5SKJ3-JCTSB-95B5K-3TJTJ-R5JRR

They should do one with FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8. Somewhat obscure joke but I’d laugh.

That last one didn’t work for me. The nice thing is that I don’t need to own the game to input these codes. They’ll be waiting for me when I get the game one day.

I just signed up on their website recently to input codes for Borderlands 2 for the first time. Not that I can access those either (you need to get to Sanctuary to do that).

Ran into my first annoying bug tonight. A sidequest on Eden-6, where for this step I had to kill some dude then shatter his body. Trouble is, I was (as I often do) using my trusty Hyperion shotgun and, um, blasted him off of the platform on which the fight happens. He vanished over the edge, his icon disappeared, but the quest stage was not fulfilled. I will try tomorrow perhaps and see if he respawns.

Note to devs: If you have something the player needs to kill, don’t put the fight on a platform above a chasm unless you have a way to keep the target from getting blasted over the railings.

I can definitely say that new DLC characters in past Borderlands games to me was just overwhelming. I barely had enough time to play through 1 character, let alone the 4 characters the game played with, or paying for even more characters on top of that.

There’s a lot of things BL3 could learn from basically any loot game released since BL2.

I’m in Chapter 13 right now. Gameplay itself is decent-to-good - basically just more BL2. Still can’t stand the inventory management, and trying to figure out which loot is better than others, which becomes a massive chore as the number of drops you get really picks up… just like BL2. New addition of a far worse menu for skills and stuff, so that’s good, haha. It’s just nuts to me, that a game about collecting buckets of randomly generated loot, still has no good system for helping you quickly sift through what is or isn’t worth keeping - it doesn’t even have a “Pick up as Junk” key!

That said, I’m having a pretty good time with it, overall.

Special mention must be made, however, of the absolutely awful writing in this game. I’ll add a disclaimer here, that I found the humor in BL2 to be very hit or miss, and I found characters like Tiny Tina to be particularly grating. Some of it worked for me, some of it really didn’t. And I didn’t play any of the DLC past the first 1-2.

But Borderlands 3 is just… next level bad. And it’s made worse by the fact that this game clearly thinks it is HILARIOUS. I think the only new major character I’ve actually liked so far, is my own - Fl4k, with his robot deadpan voice. If you wanted dubstep jokes in 2019, this is your game. If the writing in this game could take human form, it would be a dude still walking around to everyone going “Pickle Riiiiiick!”.

Returning characters are more obnoxious than I remembered them being previously (or a complete bore now, like Lilith). There’s a guy whose entire schtick is people commenting on his having a mustache now. There’s a guy who wears briefs and a cape, and says “bro” a lot. I did a mission about someone who really wants their morning coffee, lolz.

The main antagonist is basically Handsome Jack again - the exact same dismissive arrogance thing, occasionally chiming in to make it clear you’re of no concern to them.

It’s not 100% awful - a game like this that managed to be 100% unfunny would be a feat in and of itself - but it seems far worse than BL2 was, as a whole.

So yeah - having a decent time with the actual gameplay, but will probably just go back to Gears 5 once I finish the story.

I mourn for your cold cold, lifeless heart.

If it’s any consolation, I found Mr. Torgue funny.

“THAT SENTENCE HAD TOO MANY SYLLABLES! APOLOGIZE!”

I am I think level 26 or 27 now, and a lot of what @ShakesMcQueen says I have to agree with. I don’t find the writing quite that bad, but it is extremely hit or miss, with more misses than hits for sure. The humor often does seem caught in a time warp, though the digs at social media via the whole Calypso twins thing is sometimes spot-on, if always very heavy-handed. I guess, though, Borderlands has never been the place for subtlety.

But yeah, the biggest problems are loot and inventory I think. I have upgraded my backpack to like 28 slots, and I’m still constantly not picking up greens and blues because I am only going to sell them anyhow, and they don’t sell for enough to warrant a spot in my bag. The need to keep guns for every element, and pretty much for every ammo type, means that even with the new dual-element guns you probably end up with a quarter of your inventory at least filled up with stuff that you swap in and out occasionally. It’s amazingly hard to tell what is better than what, and I simply cannot fathom why the game doesn’t do what most games do, and show you a comparison between the loot/inventory item and your equipped weapon of the same type or at least in the main slot, which in most games you can cycle through to compare the stuff to every weapon you have equipped. Here they make it a chore.

Half the fun at least in a game like this is looting, and they’ve actually managed to make that tedious instead of exciting. Quite the achievement!

I love the gameplay, but I agree with all of the plot criticisms except the Handsome Jack retread claim: I think these new guys are okay, but they are worse than Jack.

59CBT-6WJ9B-SWTW5-TT3T3-TZS3S

Expires later on today.

Edit: And another: CHKJ3-SWBHT-ZWTWW-JJBTB-T9TRH