Brad Bird directing.... Mission Impossible 4?

Holy shit. Tom Cruise has a story credit on this one. At least, that’s what IMDB says.

I hope this doesn’t mean there won’t be an Incredibles 2.

He always runs.

— Alan

He’s not running…

He’s CRUISIN!

I don’t think there will be one. Right now Pixar’s chart is full until past 2014. That means it will be over 10 years since the last film before they could even begin on a sequel.

Holy hell, are there people that actually want to see this?

Put me in the camp that the Mission Impossible franchise should’ve stayed dead.

After part 2.

I have never seen the first movie other than the odd clips. I didn’t care for the second movie because I thought John Woo was parodying himself. I enjoyed the third one.

Saw this today. A disappointing addition to the series.

Minor Spoilers and such:

It had a really great opening, I loved the prison bit with the music and doors opening every which way. It had energy and good pacing that was fun. Unfortunately as the movie progresses each set piece is less interesting than the last.

I kind of liked MI3 and I hated how they dealt with Ethan’s wife in this movie

spoil

the killing off of that character is fine but they didn’t do anything with that. I realise it was done for a reason but not a good one and it wasn’t particularly well handled, just lazy writing

I liked some of the cool “incredibles” gadgets, some small touches like reflections of the approaching sand storm, the goggles and the Ving Rhames cameo turning one of the worse lines into one of the best. Also I liked Ving Rhames pretty much giving Tom cruise the finger for not being in the team anymore.

Overall this is no Incredibles, which was about family, MI:AP attempts something similar with the “we got to be a team” theme but it’s half hearted. I mean that should have been the focus, each member of the team has baggage that holds them back from being a cohesive and tight team. Seeing them fail and overcoming that combined with a real pay off would have been great. Instead we are left with watching Paula Patton awkwardly seducing some rich sleazy ball then get shot. Whew, glad we worked as a team to accomplish that mission!

Also while MI 3 takes it’s time to set up the main villain right out of the gate, who was the bad guy in this? Who knows! Some crazy Russian guy, no, no, no, not that one…Oh wait it is that one! Worse face mask reveal ever!

Holy crap was there Mac product placement everywhere in this movie, I mean, do a shot of whiskey whenever you see an apple product!

Well, to be fair, if I tried that in real life, I’d likely be comatose by noon.

FTFY.

montage

Very average movie. RedHerb nails it. There really isn’t anything I can criticize about it. It’s just an average summer blockbuster action movie. I didn’t find any of the characters interesting, the plot was a bit dull. The action sequences were alright but nothing that was amazing. It seem very paint by numbers. Only reason to go is to see the Batman trailer, but I guess that’s only shown in the IMAX version.

Damn you guys are hard to please. I thought it was great. Great pacing, great action scenes. Chick was hawt and badass. That’s about all I ask of a big blockbuster action movie, and this one delivered. Better than MI:1, 2, or 3.

I don’t understand how that could be possible since the other ones were so terrible, and this one has Brad Bird. Does not compute!

What about The Dark Knight Rises six minutes preview?

We didn’t get a six minute Batman preview, more like a normal 2 min length one. It didn’t really give a good feel for what the movie was going to be about. Of course I have no idea who the villain with the mouth mask thing is, so if you do maybe that was all you needed to know.

Well, 3 never did anything for me. I hope 4 will rock!

I see we’ve got another batch of threads that won’t stay marked as unread…

Anyway, I’m looking forward to this but will have to wait until next weekend. I didn’t care much for the first two M:I films but I liked the last one a lot and it’s hard to go wrong with Brad Bird.

I had no idea Brad Bird was directing. I guess I might check it out, I liked the Abrams one.

I liked it about as much as MI:3, my previous favorite.