Brogue: monkey, monkey, burning bright

The first level presents little challenge. At this point, Ive led enough doomed adventurers into the dungeon that I know theres not much that can kill you here except inexperience and poor judgment. Im taking a more cautious approach than usual, though. Im deliberating over each choice, rather than barrelling through the early levels.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/11/04/brogue-stories-monkey-monkey-burning-bright/

You’re missing all your apostrophes.

Are you guys using different tilesets or just different fonts?

I must be thick. I don’t see it on Steam, and if there’s a link somewhere in Tom’s article to a download source, I’m just not seeing it.

It’s not actually Tom’s article. It’s Brain Brian Haskell’s. But the forum posts them all under @tomchick for some reason…

Maybe because Brian doesn’t have a forum account? Telefrog’s front page articles appear here under his name.

The front page does list his byline as “Brian Haskell.”

There’s a front page?!

(Or are you pointing out the typo? ;))

The only roguelike I’ve tried is Nethack, and my enthusiasm for it cooled quite a bit once I learned a guide was needed to make any real progress in it. This Brogue sounds like a lot more fun.

Corrections:
“it won[’]t harm”
“it[’]s not some magical suit”
“if it[’]s enchanted”

It is a lot more user friendly. Jump into the seed challenge and have a crack! The latest seed is 11152016.

And just because I haven’t said it lately, I really appreciate that you take the time to post corrections like these. Thanks, Merc!

-Tom

Brogue seems like a nice modern take on Rogue. It has a similar feel. Maybe Nethack is like that too, I don’t know.

I’m not sure I can get over how you can’t move diagonally around corners of walls. All these modern conveniences and they leave that out?

I’m pretty sure ‘no diagonal movement near walls’ is a conscious design decision, not an omission. It’s the same way Shiren the Wanderer works.

Here’s a fun talk by the Brogue creator about the procedural generation used to create the levels:

Brogue moved from single dev to “Community Edition” at some point in the past few years. It’s being more actively maintained and developed now:

I still play this from time to time. Nice to see it’s still being supported.