Brogue seed challenge! Go!

It’s definitely one of the simpler roguelikes out there, but there’s still plenty to learn. Most of the enemies (especially the early ones) have specific strategies to them that probably won’t be obvious till you’ve fought them once or twice, and not knowing them can lead to an early death. If you expect to do well, I’d caution a few trial runs on random maps before diving into the seed. That said, I’m no good at roguelikes (even though it’s my favorite genre and I play a bunch of them, I’ve basically never completed any) so my perspective may not apply.

Also, if you judiciously use auto-explore, you can get through most of the game in an hour. It’s not a huge investment to try a few times up front.

Ok, I just ran a fast quick run… and wow as far as roguelikes, it’s a very slick one. You called it simple, but compared to something like RogueTouch, it isn’t simple it has some very cool old school aspects. Love it!

Awful run last night, only made it to level 6. Score I think was 495 or so. Don’t think it is spoiler to say that a pit bloat cost me my life when I did not survive the fall. I look forward to the next run!

6953 Killed by a dar priestess on level 14.

That’s a good point! The last few years have been very good for roguelikes, enough so that what I think of as the typical roguelike (Angband, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, TOME, Nethack, Shiren…) isn’t probably what people are generally thinking of as the genre anymore (FTL, Binding of Isaac, Dungeons of Dredmoor, Desktop Dungeons, Cardinal Quest…) so I can see how we’d diverge on that thought. I definitely don’t mean to denigrate it when I say it’s simple, either. Brogue is my favorite roguelike and has been for a few years (it just keeps getting better). It doesn’t have as much breadth as DCSS, but it seems to get to the same level of depth of play.

Today at lunch I had less time to play and only got to level 13. Those three floors from 10-13 were terrifying. Not looking forward to the future.

Up to the 13th floor

I loved the key gate on floor 12 that was surrounded by fire traps. After I luckily spotted 2 next to each other, I hit search and audibly gasped when 20 more showed up around it. That scared the pants off of me. But there were two underworms near the exit that caused me to use an invisibility potion and sneak down a floor so I never got to see what the keys were used for. Anyone find the cage?

3318 killed on level 10 by a spider I wish I understood wand recharging like I do after reading people’s posts now…

I can’t figure out how to free the monkey on level 2. I killed its kobold guard. Now what?

[/QUOTE][QUOTE=Dave Perkins;3359398]I can’t figure out how to free the monkey on level 2. I killed its kobold guard. Now what?

To free the monkey you need to attack it. You will instead get a message about freeing it.

Thank you. How counterintuitive!

I always saw it as attacking to break the chains holding the creature to the rack it’s on.

I tried ‘attacking’ the manacles for that reason.

Heh, that is exactly what I did my first game. After trying all 4 of them, I finally tried attacking the monkey and figured it was worth a try. I figured the worst that could happen is I just end up executing the monkey, but then it gave me the message and I freed it.

I got through 3 more levels and am about to enter Depth 7. I figure as long as I get in 3 levels a night the next two days, I will surely be dead by the deadline. I should probably finish it tonight either way, though.

“Free the monkey” sounds like a euphemism.

I think we need a first play leaderboard and a consolation leaderboard for multiple play throughs. This seed is just too good.

We can do that. I figure we can start a new seed challenge every Saturday and have it run through the following Friday, with first run and best run leader boards.

As awesome as that seed is, I have purposely avoided playing it again. It seemed obvious pretty early on that it had the potential to be a comparably easy ascension seed (in the hands of an experienced player) and I would hate for my first successful ascension to be a seed I had already played and as such had an idea what to expect. It just wouldn’t seem in the spirit of a RL.

Yeah, I have no issue with others repeating the seed playthroughs, but personally I’ll only be giving each seed one shot. It’s not a RL if you know what’s coming, and for me I think it would kill a lot of the fun. (I like the idea of a weekly challenge, though.)

I just played my first game of Brogue using this seed, and had no idea what I was doing. (For the record: Score 295, died on level 6 from … something … I’ll have to check when I get home from work.) So, I’d really love it if you could explain some of the signs you saw that pointed to this being an easy one. Not because I found it hard per se in a concrete way, but because as a new player I don’t know what to look for yet. What seemed obvious to me was: “ooh, unidentified stuff – could be good, could kill me, who knows.”. :)

Avoiding spoilers, and with the caveat that I’ve only just started playing this game myself, I would say there’s a least a couple of things that make this seed a good candidate. But note, that’s not necessarily the same as it being easy!

[ul]
[li]Availability of obviously good items. e.g. There’s a great armour and weapon on the first few floors.[/li][li]Items that synergise easily. e.g. Lots of good staves and a ring of wisdom to recharge them.[/li][li]Lots of good allies available throughout.[/li][/ul]