Broken Forum vanished

That’s a good question, and I actually think that a big part of the schism, as it were, that created Broken Forum came down to this fundamental question. The BF crew feels very strongly in their community they’ve created, so much so that they feel a strong sense of ownership. When Tom got sick of moderating that one time and bailed out for a while, a lot of those folks here felt like they were running the show then. They weren’t, Qt3 was never anything but Tom’s place, and when he came back and laid down some new rules they felt like the rug had been pulled out from under them so they left and made a new place.

Now since I stuck around and still primarily post here, I guess I came down on the other side. I honestly don’t think of Qt3 as a community, I think of it as a resource, almost a library or miniature Google for a very specific set of information. I enjoy hearing stuff from people I’ve gotten to know over the years, but it’s not really why I’m here. Additionally, because this is the internet and anybody could be reading, I limit how much of myself I share (read: expose) around here. I would tell any one of you individually what my name is, and I’ve met several folks in person, but I won’t post it out here in the open because, like I said, internet. But that’s me, and everyone’s got a different look on things.

Not anything. I think I could stand up to… lets say, 20 jars? Thirty at most. But 31, fuck that. Too many jars.

It has to be a prime number of jars, though. None of this bollox 24 or 12 or whatever.

LOL the social BBS vs. the hard-core war3z BBS

“This has all happened before. And it will happen again.”

flat%20circle

Not every community is created with the idea of creating a community. Sometimes you come together due to common interests and a community just forms. No one is asking to pretzel this community into something it’s not.

You’d think though that asking for consideration was somehow equivalent to asking someone to live grenade or something from the way someone are acting about.

This is definitely Tom’s board, but the idea this is just a Steam forum for old white dudes… I don’t think that’s what this is.

The forum is an aggregate of what all of who post here make it. If enough of us think of it as a community, a hangout spot where we all talk about what’s going on in our lives, then that’s what it will become. I’m just saying that’s not what I’m looking for here. And I think the bulk of folks who were looking for that decided to split for BF.

Why appreciate this if you’re not looking for anything more than surface level video game conversations?

I know I am kind of in the minority here but I think real people need real lives that begin with face to face conversations. I enjoy this forum, but I originally came here because of the gaming component. I don’t necessarily stay here for that though. I like it here. I am comfortable.

And being an old white dude has nothing to do with that.

I came due to one of Tom’s reviews. I googled his name, and found the forum. That’s not the reason I stayed.

You’re thinking about this as an either/or thing. I didn’t say I’m only looking for simple, surface level discussions. I’m just saying I don’t want to talk about my personal life around here. I’ve had a lot of what I would consider “deeper” discussions about a lot of topics. Learned a thing or two. Like I said, this place can be a trove of information.

edit: let me loop this back around to that original comment: I think that by having different perspectives on things, for example more women, more minority viewpoints, just exposes all of us to points of view and opportunities to hear about things we might not otherwise get exposed to.

And it’s easier for some to access that information than others if you don’t have to wade through the sewer to get to it. I don’t have to be a member of Qt3 to read Tom’s reviews, but there a ton of posts in here, this very topic, that tells me why some people would never participate on this board. I think that’s unfortunate because there are great people here, and good ideas, and is generally a nice community to engage with.

For some reason, maybe because it’s uncomfortable, or because it’s inconvenient, or because it’s just change, the attempt to discuss that is met with open hostility from some members here.

I don’t know what that has to do with my comment. I strongly doubt anyone around here, even the folks who may be reluctant to change, are interested in Qt3 becoming a sewer.

Because you can access this “trove of information” without either seeing or acknowledging the barriers, maybe not even feeling them when you trudge through them. That is not true for everyone. And while there are some here who pretty much say yeah if they don’t like it, fuck them we don’t need them anyway, others might not feel the same way,

There are some sewer level posts in this topic, right now.

I acknowledge this. I’ve been on the internet for like ever and I’ve developed some pretty thick skin over the years. That threshold is going to be different for everyone. And I’ve already said I’m all for making this place more friendly to people that we may not have been as accommodating to in the past. Better to noobs, for one thing. I lurked here for I think a year or two before I ever posted. I wanted to be sure I could ease in without too much difficulty or ridicule. I don’t know that that’s right, this isn’t a fraternity, we don’t need to haze people. Though I’ve probably done my share of it myself.

I honestly don’t understand why you would feel the need to ease into something if you weren’t concerned about being around for awhile and contributing in a way the… well the community expects.

You don’t wait 1 to 2 years to post on a new Steam forum right, or a new game’s forum?

My goal is also to make this a more friendly place for people to visit too because I think the community is already worthwhile but could use a few more voices or at least people who feel comfortable enough to contribute their voice AND i think that can be done without some sort of cultural loss.

QT3 doesn’t have to lose what makes it Qt3 in order to present itself as more open and accepting than it does today.

Were you around in 2003? This place was a lot different back then. You needed shark repellent.

I think I lurked, like you, starting around 2007, right around the large recession. the BBS remarks don’t make any sense to me either, but we already know there are some experience gaps between some of the veteran’s on the board and others… that’s not really an issue, it’s just fun to hear about whatever that is. I won’t be asking that person though about BBS, nothing but open hostility there.

All I’m saying is that this place was an outgrowth of several of the old user groups from way back when, and if you wanted to be heard or taken seriously, you had to fight. I think a lot of us carried that with us. Hell, I still sometimes fall back on old habits, get engaged in an argument and puff up like a cobra. They die hard.

Well, we could do the BF thing and attack those “sewer level” posters with the entire strength of the QT3 hive mind, or maybe not.

Which is not something I suggested, so I am not sure why you even mentioned it.

I don’t know what the community was like decades ago, but I’ve been here for a little bit. I think we can do better. And if anyone is envisioning a firing squad, they’re not listening, just reacting.