Broken Forum vanished

FEEBLE! I get it

I love The Tubes (Remote Control is, like, my favorite album ever) but Fee still trying to rock out the Quay Lude persona is a little sad. The Tubes pretty much died when Sputnik left back in the 80s.

FTFY.

I will say when he was in his Quay Lude persona he had something stuffed down his pants to look like a fake giant schlong. A stagehand brought him out a bottle of water at one point and he took it, looked at it, and then tossed it aside in disgust, and then reached down in his pants and grabbed the suspicious bulge and pulled out an aluminum bottle of beer, unscrewed the cap and took a swig, and then re-stuffed it. It was humorous.

Fresno is not that far from San Francisco (for you guys that don’t know your California geography) so there was a time when we used to get acts from SF here that were still on the climb. Acts like the Tubes, Huey Lewis and Journey.

I’m pretty sure this funny little punk band with the initials “DK” came from Fresno, too. Fresno not exactly a back corner of the universe, unless you’re from “rich” SF :)

I don’t know that they ever played here, although I wouldn’t be surprised. I was working nights about the times they might have.

And they were an SF band.

I saw them on the Love Bomb tour with Utopia and it’s still the concert I would most like to re-live. Rundgren brought them to a different level.

Pretty much. Remote Control and Love Bomb proved that The Tubes should have been the Runt’s real Utopia.

I saw Devo here a few years later.

We have an old restored theater that back in the day was such a great place to see concerts. Sat maybe 1,200, maybe not that big. I saw many of the great acts of the day before they moved on to playing baseball stadiums, and I quit going.

I guess this post goes to show how bored I am. Never thought I’d be posting here again, but it’s late, Reddit is purple, I’m drunk, and my family’s in Mexico while I have two nights to kill before my flight. So pardon the spelling errors and any ambiguity.

I left when the whole BF/qt3 split happened, but I didn’t go to BF because the people there were the people who most disliked me here. And I didn’t stay here, because I realized I didn’t fit in with the audience here either.

But I’d like to say two things. Among the people who left here were the worst of the worst. Now I don’t mean worst as in they had little to say, I mean the worst as in they targeted poster after poster, chasing them around the forum, harassing them, driving them away. If some internet historian comes around to trace the SJW movement to its roots, I strongly suspect those people’s posts will be found here and cited in a research paper as one of the first eruptions of the cult. And it is a cult. “You are Bad. You are posting WrongThink.” And sure, every group does its social enforcement. If you’re gonna be a construction worker, better talk the part and dress the part - to some extent. But what happened here was closer to declaring people heretics, it was so extreme. I felt profoundly uncomfortable watching the eventual BFers attempt to enforce their dogma on the forum.

I also think that those of you asking for this forum to become “more tolerant” to welcome “more voices” are, without realizing it, wanting this forum to become less tolerant to some of the voices here, and more open to the kinds of people you agree with more. At the least, you don’t seem to accept that the amount of self-censorship you’re asking others to engage in makes this place no longer fun for them, and you risk inviting in people who are so sensitive that they’ll demand even more censorship (self or otherwise). I dunno, I’m 9 beers in, and that makes sense to me.

Anyway, as I read this thread, I think it is an example of how people can now have strong disagreements without getting into forum-wide wars about it, calling in their cliques of enforcers. I’ve been here for hours and was actually motivated to find my old hotmail account to post this. The difference might not be night and day, but I went from coming here with morbid curiosity of the shitshow I was expecting, to being pleasantly surprised.

Sorry for the rambles, Merry Christmas everyone, keep your stick on the ice.

Nine beers? I’m super impressed at your coherence and eloquence. Bravo, Mr. Smurf. Papa DO preach!

Just stay out of P&R but after you get back, you should totally come back & be more active. Hope the hangover isn’t too bad tomorrow & Merry Christmas!

Yes. If only this forum could be more welcoming to people who think of social justice as a negative thing.

Aww. I’m compelled to Heart React a triggercut post. Merry Christmas you irascible old weather wizard / datamancer.

I feel you @PapaSmurf, or at least what I think you’re saying.

If it’s some nonsense about “why are the LEFT so intolerant of our intolerance?!?!” then nah, but there’s definitely some hivemindy nonsense going on from time to time in certain fora.

The more I consider this post, though, the more I’m uncomfortable with casting aspersions on “SJWs.” Yes there’s some silliness, but most of the opposition I’ve seen has been more about “but what about MISANDRY” and man, I got no time for that.

Full disclosure: I am also more than a few beers in my own self. Not as many as when I self-immolated my account on BF, but more than zero ;)

I wince when I see SJW, yeah.

Anyway, welcome back.

I’m with you man.

SJWs are the crazies on the left.