Brrrrr Cold Waters

I’m lucky if I can any time to game between family and work, and I never know how long those intervals will last. A game that requires a fixed length commitment with no save is functionally unplayable for me. These things need to come with a warning label, there’s just no excuse for it.

1,000,000% agreed. My gaming time, both the amount of and actual time in the day, are so sporadic, I need games with short missions (like Warhammer Inquisitor or Marvel’s Avengers) or games that are just inherently short (like Bloody Rally Show) or games where I can save anywhen and anywhere.

I’ve had this in my backlog for a long time. Did not know about the save issue. To late to refund it now.

Afaik it saves anywhere on the map layer but not in the tactical 3D layer of the game. Those bits last an hour or less. Never had a problem tbh.

Special forces aren’t spies, they have missions based on need that are, usually, well defined. They generally also operate more frequently with or around regular deployed forces, though there are exceptions.

There may be times when it is communicated they will be too deep for quick or even possible extraction but normal special forces probably aren’t in that position often. Contrary to popular belief, not many people want to go on suicide missions, it’s still about money, the family at home, being able to drink like a fish at the local bar, etc. They are also very well trained to the extreme and considered a valuable operator within force deployments. Not that they don’t get hurt, but it takes longer to get another up to speed versus a grunt.

I would -not- recommend any number of books about things like Seal Team Six, Delta Force etc, versus more normal books referencing Rangers, Seals, etc. I used to be a military book junkie. The description of more spy-like things you’re suggesting really only came from authors or co-authors that I felt, stretched the truth a bit. Maybe, maybe not. Case in point for the hard to believe, Richard Marcinko.

I understand that, but there was a point where we had plans to use fighter bombers to do toss-bombing of various targets. The early fighter bombers didn’t have fuel to reach the targets and return. I remember reading a general’s memoir, and the pilots had been given something analogous to modern SERE training but the idea of successfully getting back to NATO lines was probably a fig leaf for crew psychology, rather than an expectation. And the fighters were expended at that point in any case. Heres a short article describing that program:
The One-Way Nuclear Mission - Air Force Magazine

Presumably ever! :) But the game is presenting the context of full-on WWIII. We had plans and doctrine for that, which is what I’m asking about.

Good question. My sense, drawing on by now decades-old third-hand info etc., is that those folks would not have been considered disposable, but there would have been few illusions as to the high risks of such operations. From what I could tell, much of the planning envisioned operations in the nearer regions of eastern Europe, where the Soviets were not exactly always super popular and where indigenous resistance forces might be built up. Also, where insertions were a heck of a lot easier. For ops on Soviet territory per se, I have no clue. I’m not even sure they would have done those, given the delicate balance between operational need and strategic considerations. If the USSR sent Spetznaz to raid, say, San Diego or SAC HQ in Omaha, I rather suspect we’d be pissed to no end…

Year I rarely have that much time in one go anymore.

It’s just totally unpredictable for me. When I sit down to play a game I might have 15 minutes or I might have an hour or two and there’s quite often no way to be sure. What I can’t tolerate is a game that says “oh, you had to stop after half an hour? No progress saved for you!”

Yeah it’s a big middle finger to players.

Apparently their newer game DOES have mid-mission saving? I think.

This is a good major point, in full on wartime, many heroes step up, and many leaders will force or convince others to go very much into harms way with the possibility of death.

You no believe, Demo Dick? :)

I mean, I enjoyed them at the time but still, even I have doubts to the veracity of a lot of that. Seal Team 6 was based at one of the bases I served on for about 3 1/2 years. None of them were Marcinko era, but none of them were anything but what was presented as normal looking military guys. Then again, he was a character and his books were interjected with his character which is what made them fun reads.

Yeah, there definitely was a bit of Marcinko selling Marcinko in Rogue Warrior. I never read anything else of his.

Weirdly enough, I stumbled upon a copy of his book recently.

I’ve also met and spoken with him, once upon a time. He’s quite the dude.

So this past week I played Red Storm Rising for the first time and am amazed by it. It’s just so good. So many people suggested I finally dive into this that I finally snagged it. I’m gonna use this mod

Which apparently really makes it great. Hopefully the missions are of a length similar to RSR, which was manageable.

Side note, I can see why so many say RSR is the best sub sim ever. I’m really in awe of it.

I guess I should try this out some day. I’ve never really clicked with Cold War naval sims but I’ve always loved me some WW2 sub sims.

Red Storm Rising is a cold war/WWIII sub sim, not WWII sadly.

Oh I know. I meant I should try it despite the fact that I’ve never clicked with Cold War sims.

Oh gonna check that mod out. As you said, the level of dedication required to complete a scenario of the original game was overwhelming.

And RSR is indeed incredible. To think it’s fun while it is keyboard only and required you to play as much with your sub as with the interface, too.