Bulletstorm: Epic's new game that ISN'T Gears 3

They’re probably just doing distribution, maybe marketing. Epic has always made a point to stay independent. Warren can clarify I’m sure, though.

I was not at all impressed by the trailer. Hopefully the next one will show some better action than “kick, use dumb looking weapon, repeat”.

Yeah, they’re the publisher.

I believe it’s published through the EA Partners program, just like Valve’s stuff.

Looks fucking great. Rick Remender of Fear Agent fame is doing the story and seems really into it so that’s another plus.

I do love Painkiller. What’s the first, in your opinion?

And if this comes out for the PS3, I’ll likely get it. Looks like fun!

Far Cry 2.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly? Huh. It won’t run on my old PC, but they do have a PS3 version…

I wouldn’t call it the best fps of all time but even though it’s very “gamey” in structure it’s probably my favorite in terms of environmental effects and just pure atmosphere. When the rain rolls in you’ll swear you can feel the moisture in the air.

If you go get Far Cry 2, Brian, remember to try the game with the music off. I wouldn’t say that about any other game, currently, since I think music is an integral part of any movie or game experience, but Far Cry 2 is the exception. The music is good, but the sounds of the game without the music are exceptional.

yes this. It is almost as good as Stalker, atmosphere wise.Almost.

So this is a sequel to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, right?

Edit: beaten by Craig O. That’s what I get for not reading all two pages before I post.

Wow, that was a mind-numbingly boring trailer. Guy faces straight on and shoots. Now he shoots and kicks. Now he kicks and shoots. This time he does it into a plant!

Then again, I think it’s pretty rare for a gameplay trailer to be anything other than dull.

The GameInformer preview last month added a lot more context to what you see, a big part of the gameplay revolves around creative use of the grappling hookesque “energy tether”.

I was personally disappointed by Far Cry 2, in the exact same way I was disappointed with the first Assassin’s Creed. The technology is breathtaking, the scope is beyond anything I expected, and there are some really fun gameplay elements to be found, but overall it’s far more a technology showpiece than it is a demonstration of creative gameplay design.

Assassin’s Creed 2 gives me tremendous confidence in Far Cry 3, that since they now have the general tech and ideas in place, the game can be substantially improved into something that doesn’t get boring after 5-10 hours.

Oh yeah, Bulletstorm looks awesome!

“It’s the Burnout of shooters, with a little bit of Duke Nukem, and a little bit of Firefly and Serenity on top.”

Yes, please

“Firefly”? Getting a little pretentious there, aren’t we?

I do love this quote though:

“He’s an asshole, a troublemaker, ladies probably love him,” Bleszinski said. “It was either that or use Nolan North again.”

No offense to North, but damn he’s in a lot of games.

I can’t understand the love for Painkiller either. Once the novelty of the stake gun wore off, all that was left were badly designed levels that tepidly dribbled enemies in your face. It was completely bereft of the pacing that sort of shooter needs.

Am I the only one who looks at this and thinks Serious Sam?

Considering the source, I was thinking more Painkiller headbutts Far Cry.

Looks fun, but I sincerely hope there’s a way to turn off or tone down all those popup messages. I can’t speak for mainstream gamers, but personally, I don’t feel the need to have a game high-five me every time I demonstrate that I have a pulse.

Hm, getting memories of Wild 9 here…