Buying a car online?

Is buying a car online the new best way to get what you want for the best price?

I read an article a while ago about broker sites that get quotes from all over (USA) for the make/model/package/color/etc you’re looking for and send you this list of quotes?

If so, what are the ones to use and what’s your experiences with them? Thankie!

Can’t find the article. :(

If you check the thread in Everything Else, there’s some talk about online shopping that might be useful.

In short, people have had both good and bad results. When things go well, you get all of the financial stuff and deal making out of the way up front, go to the dealer, sign the paperwork (and do whatever trade thing you are doing if that’s part of the deal), and go on your way with your car at the price you negotiated.

When it goes wrong, you show up only to be bombarded with unasked for add-ons, bait and switch tactics, and the usual run of dealership annoyances.

My personal experience has been that the people at dealerships who handle Internet sales vary in competence so much much that it’s a case by case basis whether you will get someone who knows what to do and gets you through the process seamlessly, or someone who just spews out whatever crap someone told them to say and you wind up not happy at all.

Thanks. I recall mention of a process where you get quotes from dealers all over the country, pick one, do the paperwork online, then they transport your car and deliver the car to your driveway?

Utopian hopes?

We have one of the forum members who just did exactly this. It’s over in that thread I linked I think. Seemed to work perfectly.