Buying a Nintendo 2DS XL

Looking to pick one of these up this weekend for me and the kids. Probably be mostly me playing it and was looking for any games people have really enjoyed.

Things I and the kids fancy are

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Fire Emblem - Which one?
Zelda Link between Worlds and which others?
Mario Golf or Super sports
Xenoblade Chronicles (Will it even work?)

There seem lots of good rpg’s including Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensi IV, Animal Crossing New Leaf (Wife?), Luigi’s Mansion 2, Super Smash Bros, Dragon Quest Viii.

So any I have missed or really worth trying?

Yep! 2DS XL is basically a ‘New 3DS’ without the 3D and as such will play exclusives like Xenoblade.

You have a good selection there, but the major omission I would point out is Pokemon. Ultra Sun/Moon releases November so maybe worth waiting.

With Zelda, Link between Worlds is the only one unless you want the N64 remasters, Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask.

Thanks, not sure about Pokémon, so many different ones…

A lot of those games aren’t RPGs.

Link Between Worlds is the definitive handheld Zelda - don’t really need any others.

Obvious missing games from the list are the Ace Attorney games, Super Mario 3D Land, Pokemon Sun/Moon, Mario Kart, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, and a whole bunch of indie games.

Why wouldn’t Xenoblade work?

Pick whichever of Sun or Moon appeals. Or wait for the Ultra version. :)

Another omission - Etrian Odyssey IV. I also really dug Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, which is the Persona3/4 spinoff set in an Etrian-like game.

There’s quite a few in this thread:

I have been playing XC on my New 2DSXL and confirm it works great! Mario kart 7 and New Super Mario Bros 2 are also very good.

Sorry I know that, it was really just a list of stuff I fancy and saying there seems to be a lot of good rpg’s on it as well, just crappy wording rather than being a total moron and thinking Smash brothers was an rpg… :D

How good is XC? Fancy it.

So tempting to splurge on too many games at once which you don’t end up playing.

Definitely going for MHU4, Zelda and at least one other, if there are any of the above cheap in the 2 console shops in my local I shall grab them, seems like they are all worth picking up.

I loved XC, though it did have some downtime moments. It’s very single player MMO-ish but the story is good, and being able to change what character you control gave a decent variety to combat.

All three Fire Emblem games on the 3DS are good, but if I was going to pick just one, I’d probably go with the second one, Fire Emblem Fates. It then gets more complicated in that there are multiple versions of Fates, where you play through the story along different paths. Conquest was my favorite of those, though if you’re new to the series, Birthright might make more sense.

(Or just get Fire Emblem: Awakening and avoid that whole thing.)

As far as other 3DS games that others haven’t commented on yet: Bravely Default is good, probably the best traditional/pure JRPG on the system, and I prefer it to its sequel (Bravely Second). My wife loves Animal Crossing, which is her favorite 3DS game. Puzzles & Dragons Z isn’t exactly high concept entertainment, but I really enjoyed it for what it is (a port of a mobile gem-based RPG with all of the F2P nonsense removed).

There’s a ton of really great eshop games I could recommend but I’d probably need my device in front of me to list them. If you’re interested in that sort of thing.

A lot of the usual indie suspects are on there, and well worth buying, but in terms of 3DS exclusives or at least firsties, Pushmo and Steamworld Heist are definitely among the best. Also Picross 3D 2.

Yes please. I have ordered a 64gig card as well so should have room for plenty.

That’s a definite one for the list, along with its sequels Pullmo and Crashmo. They’re all great puzzling fun. If you like the Phoenix Wright games, there are a couple that I believe are download only, didn’t get a physical release. I’ll make a more comprehensive list along with some reasons why I chose them when I get back to my place tonight.

There are a ton of amazing smaller games and indie games on the eshop. The 3DS is probably my favorite handheld system ever, especially considering that it can play the entire DS library too.

I wish DS titles were available in the eshop, but in lieu of that there are so many reasonably priced used DS games all over used game shops that I’d definitely check that out too.

Of my entire DS/3DS library, here are my top recommendations:

• BOXBOY / BOXBOXBOY - cheap, simple, but surprisingly deep puzzle games created by Nintendo
  • Picross 3D 2 - One of the most addictive puzzle games I’ve ever played
  • Picross e through Picross e7 - for when I’m done with Picross 3D 2 :-)
  • Pocket Card Jockey - the surprise hit of the summer for me last year. An innovative mix of solitaire + a light simulation of horse racing, combined in a way you’d never expect, but executed perfectly. Also it’s like $7 and has a free demo you can check out first.
  • Steamworld Dig - Ever play Motherload way back when? It’s like that, but with really cool powerups, metroid-esque exploration, and a really satisfying gameplay loop all around.
  • Steamworld Heist - Plays nothing like Dig, but it’s really cool in its own right. Almost like a side-scrolling XCOM - a turn-based character-driven story set in the world and aesthetic of Steamworld Dig
  • Super Mario 3D Land - Excellent traditional mario game. 3D camera, but the camera is in fixed / automatically moving positions like 3D World on Wii U.
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - until Breath of the Wild came out, this was probably my favorite Zelda game ever. It’s like A Link to the Past from SNES but with a ton of great new mechanics

You’ve also got Virtual Console on there. If you’ve never played Game Boy Donkey Kong, that’s highly recommended. It is and isn’t what you think it is. Here are a few more oddballs you might never have played that are completely awesome in every way.

Others for Game Boy…
Mole Mania Miyamoto… awesome.
Balloon Fight - Iwata’s masterpiece. I think it has aged extremely well.
Super Dodge Ball - Big Dumb Fun.

NES
If you like shooters, everyone should play…
Summer Carnival ’92: Recca - It’s extremely rare on cart and it pushes the NES hardware like nothing else you’ve seen.

SNES
Earthbound - A lot written about it, but absolutely worth playing if you never have.

I’m going to third Picross 3D 2. I lost track of time playing that. Really like the café atmosphere.

eShop has a lot of demos worth checking out. The Monster Hunter one surprisingly convinced me not to buy the game. I’ve only played a little bit of Mario Golf, but it seemed pretty good. Reviews of Supersports weren’t that hot unless one of the kids loves horses.

Re: Zelda, look up Hyrule Warriors. It’s not for everyone, but there’s a lot of content for people who love it.

Yeah, it’s super cheap to build a non-Nintendo DS library. Saw a great deal at Gamestop (USA - sorry Reemul) this week if anyone else is looking for games. 4 for 10$ with over 1,000 DS titles & a few for 3DS as well. I bought Code Name Steam, Elite Beat Agents, Pilotwings Resort and Samurai Warriors Chronicles.

That alone is worth several times what you paid for all four.

Infuriatingly, I managed to lose my copy of EBA and Ouendan 1 and 2, because I was storing them all together.