Can anyone explain the Kardashians to me?

Heh, I’ll sound like a complete ass for saying it, but since getting rid of cable TV to save money a year ago, I’ve managed to avoid a beautiful number of vapid conversations recently. I still watch a bit of network TV via rabbit ears antennas, but most of the unadulterated shit never even gets close to my living room.

What? Those aren’t even in the bottom 50% of vapid, terrible reality shows. For example, anything on VH1 is worse.

By expensive boutique, you are referring to Sears?

No, I was referring to the D-A-S-H stores owned and operated by the Kardashian sisters. You think of Sears as an expensive boutique store?

Certainly more expensive than Winners.

I know you know this already but that’s not going to stop your kids from seeing what you view as terrible television. They have friends.

I can deal with other peoples’ bad decisions, even when they affect our kids. But not having the shit in our house gives me a firmer leg to stand on when pointing out exactly how idiotic it is.

Kids really do pick up on your values if you live by them… they see what you actually do, and it makes a huge difference. Talking the talk tends to go in one ear and out the other, but walking the walk, they notice.

I’ve never heard of DASH. I get all my Kardashian stuff from Sears and all my Audrina Patridge (for Bongo) stuff at K-mart.

Clerk (over loudspeaker so everyone hears): Price check on three. How much as it for the Kardashian sex tape?

Hanacker: Ummmmm…

Clerk: Oh hey, we have a BOGO special for the Kardashian and Paris Hilton sex tapes. You want that, too?

Wait, not that stuff?

I wish I could ditch Sky but my wife would go into spasms if she couldn’t vege out to the Food channel. And the Karwhatisfaces now and then.

As far as I can tell all but the step dad are tedious, boring and insipid people. Prime concerns of the girls center around:

• what the various awful men in their lives have done to them recently.

• what mean things they have done to each other are.

• the above compounded with business decisions around their fashion lines.

That being said, I am quite aware that Mum is exec producer (and some other roles) and they all know what sells (and it is not informed debate on economic policy, or the last book someone read) so I take all the drama and awfulness with an extremely large grain of salt. I am generous like that.

My wife used to love watching the Girls Next Door (which is odd, since you’d think I’d be the one interested in that drek, given all the cleavage). Neither of us have watched the Kardashian show, does it raise the bar at all?

I am not sure bars are any form of reasonable measure when it comes to this kind of TV. It is all poop and the implication of degrees of quality is misleading.

The Kardasifaces are black haired shouty poop, with babies and husbands, the GND were blondes with only some shouting but still endless poop. Take your pic.

I have friends from journalism school doing shows like these, and I feel that me helping people use their computers is a much more worthy thing to do… but then I read their Facebook updates:
Two guys doing Survivor for a few months in Thailand, one girl doing Paradise Hotel (the lowest of the low, but a local thing I think) 3 months in Mexico on a 5 star resort, dude doing Wipeout in Argentina and another dude doing some sort of celebrity farming thing (don’t ask) on a ranch in Australia.
Perhaps it’s time to switch jobs…

If it makes you feel any better, Steve Agee’s appearance on Making It convinced me that most or all of the people involved with reality television kind of want to die, so their lives probably suck. Hard to tell how much of that is just Steve being Agee and how much was the actual job, though.

Worst part of this? The ran a 6 hour Kim wedding marathon yesterday. My wife clicked past it and I noticed that mom has moved from a kinda average house to an insane mansion in the 4 years this sex tape “star” has been peddling her crap. Only in America <sigh>

Heh, that guy looks like Dwight Schrute’s brother (Wait - is that the joke?)

It’s not a joke at all, have you actually seen her knees?

That’s her? I wouldn’t touch her with a 10 foot pole. I’d touch her with something else though.

I seem to remember seeing a promo for this show (maybe it was during The Soup) where Mom was considering changing her last name back to Kardashian. I’m sure it was just to support her daughters, though, and not to cash in.

I don’t know why Bruce Jenner doesn’t run screaming from this family, but I guess he’s probably enjoying the cash flow as well.

No, that’s not her. GIS for her name, there’s plenty of pictures, trust me.