Can we block the Evony ads on the forum now please?

That’s an odd stand to take.

I’m an odd fella.

Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing, but subscriptions for the forum would cut down on the riff raff which would also include me. Heh.

It doesn’t need to go subscription-only but it can still offer subscriptions. Rock, Paper, Shotgun operates like this. I would not even expect anything extra for my sub fee. Being able to conveniently support the operation of the site would be enough.

I can of course send Tom money when I remember to but I bet it would be a more reliable source of cash for the site if PayPal would just regularly bill me. Also, easier for me. Easy is good. Mmm.

It’s a happy kind of sucker to be.

Even a 1 time fee would keep the rif-raf away, well, at least the poor rif-raf…

Besides access, what other benefits would people want for paying a subscription fee? Custom titles, signatures, more modding or the ability to post whatever they want without the fear of being modded? Pro-rated refunds if they are banned?

I can see a lot of problems/unrealistic expectations popping up once money becomes an issue.

You guys should just throw a couple bucks Tom’s way via his gmail account (tied to paypal) and block ads guilt-free.

You need to understand that this is a theoretical discussion. I don’t know Tom at all, but in my estimation, I can’t see him ever going subscription, doesn’t seem like his style from what I gather. Also, I really can’t see custome titles, or else you’d have what they have on SA, people buying others ruge or vulgar titles if they happen to get angry at them. As for the extra modding, compared to other forums, the place seems to mod itself, and for the most part, all the users self-police themselves. Just saying…

Yes, I expect any kind of mandatory payment would require significantly more maintenance and moderation than the current ad supported system.

Absolutely not to any of these.

Again reminding that subscription-only is not the only way to go. Creating the possibility for a voluntary subscription would be a convenience to those already inclined to chip in with the hosting and bandwidth fees.

My guess is this will not materialise. It just doesn’t feel like Tom’s style and would defy long-time precedent. I would not be disappointed if it did, mind you.

While the subscription idea is interesting, it’s just not the model I’m interested in. Partly because I think it would foster a (rightful) sense of entitlement. The moment I ask you to pay, this whole place stops being just a dude’s living room and is more of a club, with me as the proprietor.

But I don’t want that. I really do think of this as the online equivalent of my living room. I want people to be able to enjoy it freely. I feel bad that this particular living room has a stupid ad posted on one wall (“The XX debut album is available now”? Huh?), but until you guys all move to where I live and hang out in my real living room, paying for bandwidth is the cost of online interaction. But I won’t be shuffling ads in between posts like some forums, or running them along the side of the page, or asking you to pay an entrance fee. I’m not here to make money. I’m here for the same reason as you guys: because I like hanging out with you all.

If you do want to paypal me a couple of bucks, you can do it to my gmail address at tomwchick (I had to use my middle initial because some dude out east took “tomchick”, but at least he’s kind enough to occasionally forward me emails with a polite “I think this is yours” note attached). Donations aren’t necessary, but I definitely appreciate the gesture from folks who want to block ads.

-Tom

Aussie Aussi Aussi, OI OI OI!!!

That’s a generous position to take. Instead of subscriptions, why not charge by the post? It would make the arguments much more interesting if people had to drop a quarter for each post. Make edits fifty cents and the whole thing would take off.

Reading, of course, would remain free.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Tom! I’m delighted to be your guest. If you’re ever around these parts, you’re welcome to stay at our place.

People who subscribe should get up to 500 mb storage for avatars and sigs. I’ve got a great avatar I’ve wanted to use here forever. It’s Nico from that ad for GTA4 last year, but instead of walking through Liberty City, he’s walking through the intro to The Naked Gun! HAHAHA! It’s great. But it’s 450 mb. So c’mon Tom, what the hell?

oh absolutely.
But do it once a week, and its a pretty dead cert for-sure thing that you just cost the company that are suing people for criticizing their game (see thechaosengine) a few cents…

I’m pretty sure this forum has guaranteed Tom free room and board across the US and in several countries. Assuming he doesn’t mind being watched while he sleeps.

“He looks so… peaceful.”

SOmeone please make a “ceiling cat is watching Tom Chick sleep” picture.